It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NCAA basketball coaches among 10 charged with fraud and corruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Federal prosecutors have announced charges of fraud and corruption against 10 people involved in college basketball, including assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC. The coaches named in court documents are Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Book Richardson and USC's Tony Bland. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances.

ESPN

Court documents state that Gatto, Code, Dawkins, Augustine and Sood were "making and concealing bribe payments to high school student-athletes and/or their families in exchange for, among the other things, the student-athletes' commitment to play basketball for University-6 and University-7, thereby causing the universities to provide athletic scholarships to student-athletes who, in truth and in fact, were ineligible to compete as a result of the bribe payments."

Once again, sports, it seems, is only about money. Cheaters! The story goes on to say that the universities were not named in the document. Why?!

Money truly is the root of all evil!

Other people named in the documents include James Gatto, director of global sports marketing at Adidas; Merl Code, who recently left Nike for Adidas; Christian Dawkins, an NBA agent who was fired in May from ASM Sports for charging approximately $42,000 in Uber charges on a player's credit card; Jonathan Brad Augustine, president of The League Initiative and program director of the Adidas-sponsored 1 Family AAU program; Munish Sood, a financial adviser; and Rashan Michel, a former NBA official who founded Thompson Bespoke Clothing, a custom clothier for athletes.

edit on 26/9/2017 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   

edit on 26/9/2017 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
What were they thinking? You're not supposed to pay the slaves!!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
When keeping your job depends on winning, people tend to do anything to not be fired.
That's the sad truth of college sports.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This all because the NCAA (NFL & NBA as co-conspirators) refuse to allow these "student athletes" to be paid. The schools and the NCAA continue this farce because of all the money involved. No one with two function brain cells considers 90% of Div 1 players in basketball or football to be students. Everyone knows hardly any of these players are even remotely qualified to attend these schools nor are they even taking real college courses.

D1 basketball and football is nothing but the farm system for the NBA and NFL.

The schools support this nonsense because of the revenues that these sports bring to the Universities. The football and basketball coaches are usually the highest paid employees (making more the University Presidents).

edit on 26-9-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I think you're underestimating most of these athletes.
The majority of them know that they will never play sports professionally and actually do use the opportunity to get a degree.
Granted that some schools are the exception, "Alabama" "Miami" "Ohio state".

On a side note, the football and men's basketball programs make most of the athletic programs revenue at these schools. That revenue pays most of the women's programs costs.
There is a lot of benefit derived from football.

And I do think that these guys need paid, at least a few hundred a month so they can take a girl on a date.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I think you're underestimating most of these athletes.
The majority of them know that they will never play sports professionally and actually do use the opportunity to get a degree.
Granted that some schools are the exception, "Alabama" "Miami" "Ohio state".

On a side note, the football and men's basketball programs make most of the athletic programs revenue at these schools. That revenue pays most of the women's programs costs.
There is a lot of benefit derived from football.

And I do think that these guys need paid, at least a few hundred a month so they can take a girl on a date.

I'm sure there are a few (mostly non-starter bench warmers) who probably know the reality, but any of these guys regularly starting at that level think they have a shot. My point really though was that 1) 90% of these guys would not be students at these schools as they are not academically qualified and 2) the schedules required to play at that level mean they are only students tangentially as there is no possible way to take full college course load.

It is without question the sports provide financial benefits to the university at large. This is why the schools or NCAA will never give up the cash cow.

My issue is that these students are essentially being exploited by the schools. They should at least get some sort of stipend for basic living expenses / play money. Imagine being a star player. The school is making millions off your talent and you ain't getting sh*t. It is almost as bad as being a multi-platinum recording artist and not getting a dime in compensation from the record company.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

So when you start paying the money sport athletes, what happens to the ones in sports like track & field?

I ask because that's what I was. Do we just simply get our programs cut?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

It depends on the school.

Some of those guys are academically qualified, highly so, but I went to a uni that often had academic all-Americans on the football team, and not just on the bench.

The school invested a lot of effort into making sure kids stayed academically eligible and it was child's play to access those resources and if you needed it, you were invested in those resources.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

So when you start paying the money sport athletes, what happens to the ones in sports like track & field?

I ask because that's what I was. Do we just simply get our programs cut?

These schools are not hurting for money, they can afford to pay every athlete a few hundred every month. Give the kids the shoe money from Nike and reebok.
A kid on a band scholarship can play anywhere and get paid to do so.
Athletes are not allowed to get a job.
Hardly seems fair.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Not all of the schools are like that.

Some are smaller schools that field good programs, but aren't the big boys.

I went to the ag school. We had the engineers, architects, and veterinarians, but it doesn't build a big donor base, even if it is loyal.

As far as money and gear, do you honestly not think we got plenty of gear? I was giving away shoes and I wasn't even full scholarship in a non-money sport! I still have pairs of sweats I wear even today over 20 years later that are just now going bad.

The kids who were full scholarship did get a small living stipend. And, yes, you can have a job, but most don't have the time for it. You spend 20 hours a week at official practice, then you have weights and outside of practice workouts like extra running and stuff, not counting your classroom time. That was why we always got to pre-enroll before everyone else.
edit on 26-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This would only work for the division 1 schools.
They get plenty of gear too.
Remember when that ohio State kid got suspended for selling his pants?
The kid just wanted a few bucks.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   
How can Duke and UK not be implicated? There's just too much favoritism in our government. Justice may never have been blind but it's more like a Trump political rally nowadays.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Duke and Kentucky don't need to pay players to come to their school.
The schools trying to catch them do.
But I bet most of them have $100 hand shakes if you get my drift.

top topics

join