It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google U.S. News Shunts Aside Humanitarian Crisis on U.S. Shores

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:53 AM
link   
As of a few minutes ago, the unfolding crisis in Puerto Rico is headline news in Google News Canada. But apparently, the rest of us here in the lower 48 can't be bothered with headlines about the terrible situation that could unfold amongst our very own FELLOW AMERICAN CITIZENS in Puerto Rico, because that headline is nowhere to be seen in my version of Google U.S. News (which is in a browser that _does_ allow persistent cookies for google content -- so Google should know from my browsing habits that I give a sh** about Puerto Rico and Puerto Ricans).

We're talking millions of people. As many in a major US city -- with little or no fresh water from nature in a highly urbanized population. There is no more fruit on the trees in most places due to the hurricane. People there are in danger of starvation, or dying from a host of opportunistic diseases. These are our neighbors and FELLOW AMERICANS -- but as a possible symptom pervasive (and largely unconscious) racism in our society, even Google can't be proactive in giving the story its due.

Of course the Canadians can handle it as news -- it's real news but it's not their country's people either so they don't have to feel ashamed or in denial for not caring about their own. I'm not saying this is a conspiracy, except maybe a de facto one of collective silence and heads-in-the-sand-altogether ignorance -- if Google News' headline content is any indication.

edit on 26-9-2017 by Namdru because: not not

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
As bad as PR is, try to find news about the Virgin Islands. Also a US territory, also mostly destroyed, but even in the immediate aftermath of the hurricanes the news said almost nothing.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

I agree ! I looked for current stories about Harvey in Houston and Irma in Florida ....most were 2-3 weeks old, no flood waters .....not newsworthy . What about all those who lost their homes and cars and jobs ? The current news cycle is more concerned about who might be kneeling and it's all Trump's fault.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Can't blame Google for going with the headlines that get the most clicks. Kneeling is all Americans care about right now, we're a fatuous bunch.
edit on 9/26/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Of course not . They to busy fighting over the usual pointless idiocy .
It would interfere with their bickering if they took time out to address a far more important humanitarian issue . Worse they might actually accomplish something worthwhile if they stopped bickering over pointless non-issues .

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

The lack of coverage is kind of weird. I wonder if outlying US territories can be declared a Federal Disaster Area as I hadn't heard that they had been declared but I might have missed.

link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe if football players say they are kneeling for Puerto Rico?

link   
If I lived in Puerto Rico, I would build a house out of cement and put an earthen roof on it with windows with real shutters that can be closed to withstand a Hurricane. I would not build all the expensive stuff out there. I do not think that our government should be insuring anything over a quarter of a million bucks.

Giving aid to help with humanitarian stuff should be done, I have no problem with that. They should build government buildings there to withstand hurricanes too, same with any Motels. We need to give help but we also have to make sure not to supply people who are defrauding others with cash too. A lot of people do not understand that cons get half of that money. That is unacceptable. We need to help the people the right way.

People have to purchase their own insurance on their properties, if you live in a place like that, you need to be able to support yourself. As for regular people there, it is way more difficult, some there do not make a lot of money and they do not have control over their destiny. Tourist trade is a big thing there. The government there should do more to prepare for these kind of things, they should assess some kind of tax for tourism that builds a safety network. It does not have to be a big tax, just something to help.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

The lack of coverage is kind of weird. I wonder if outlying US territories can be declared a Federal Disaster Area as I hadn't heard that they had been declared but I might have missed.

They can, and have been. But I can see how you didn't hear about it. Because of course our football-playing "heroes" and their moronic manufactured controversy are so much more important

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It's not just Google.....it's other search engines as well.
News websites and print media.

It's not just Maria slamming into Puerto Rico either.

Any news story more than a few hours long seems to be relegated to the news morgue.
How many know there were multi big quakes in Mexico this year, with one causing a volcanic eruption?
How many know how much has been done to get Texas back together after Harvey?
How about Florida and George after Irma?
Typhoons and other Pacific storms?
Droughts and wild fires, anyone?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Can't blame Google for going with the headlines that get the most clicks. Kneeling is all Americans care about right now, we're a fatuous bunch.

No blame implied, really. Their profitability consists primarily in their ability to push content to the individual consumer, and Americans don't care much about each other. We're very provincial. The people of Maryland don't much care what happens to New York, for example.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

If there isn't any food, electricity or water, then hotels will be closed and journalists would just get in the way and use up badly needed resources.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If I lived in Puerto Rico, I would build a house out of cement and put an earthen roof on it with windows with real shutters that can be closed to withstand a Hurricane. I would not build all the expensive stuff out there. I do not think that our government should be insuring anything over a quarter of a million bucks.

Giving aid to help with humanitarian stuff should be done, I have no problem with that. They should build government buildings there to withstand hurricanes too, same with any Motels. We need to give help but we also have to make sure not to supply people who are defrauding others with cash too. A lot of people do not understand that cons get half of that money. That is unacceptable. We need to help the people the right way.

People have to purchase their own insurance on their properties, if you live in a place like that, you need to be able to support yourself. As for regular people there, it is way more difficult, some there do not make a lot of money and they do not have control over their destiny. Tourist trade is a big thing there. The government there should do more to prepare for these kind of things, they should assess some kind of tax for tourism that builds a safety network. It does not have to be a big tax, just something to help.

In most parts of the world, concrete cement is a luxury building material. The UK can't even afford double skinned brick walls for first time buyer homes. Countries like France are using concrete breeze blocks.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Of course. When there is a tragedy to unite the people, all the BS divide and conquer nonsense like the current stupidity that people seem wrapped up in from the NFL, doesn't work.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

They can, and have been. But I can see how you didn't hear about it. Because of course our football-playing "heroes" and their moronic manufactured controversy are so much more important

Well that's good, looks like the US VI and PR got slammed hard. We need to take care of them. Unless it affects the 48 States it seems like no one cares, even with our own outlying places.

....better watch out Guam.

Between Harvey, Irma and Maria we have a lot of repair work to do. Has Congress voted on Irma and Maria funding? All the news was about Trump and the Dems on Harvey monies?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone else is aware of this, but the more government can take the spotlight off of themselves, the more they can do without our knowledge.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell
Another drain on mother nature. We seem to think that our planet's resources are unlimited. Check out the video on the sand wars. Scarcity is another method of control.

We need to invest in more earth friendly bio construction materials. Bamboo comes readily to mind.

Having just gotten off the phone with my brother who is trying to assist a friend of his in getting his grandmother here from Puerto Rico, and having family in St. Martin, I know first hand how bad the conditions are on the islands.

Unless it impacts Americans directly, or it is an issue that they trigger remotely through social media, it will not be something that people will be concerned about. At least not until they are told to, and then it will be to move forward an agenda to benefit those in power, not because it will benefit the people.

I used to think that we are addicted to the internet, but I am just as deceived as the rest of the masses. We are not addicted we are programmed. Fighting addiction is tough, going against your programming is a hell of a lot tougher.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
The press doesn't care about anything about one subject - what Donald Trump tweets about.

Haven't you noticed that yet?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe if football players say they are kneeling for Puerto Rico?

What if the NFL and all it's players donated lots of money to the Puerto Rico aid? perhaps they could piggyback their message of oppression with the same message of caring about others. They certainly have the financial means to do it, and it seems they sure do love a cause.....

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Then we'd have people saying they're protesting Puerto Rico.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join