It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NFL gets over a billion in taxpayer-funded federal subsidies

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I wouldn't put it past Trump to suggest cutting off all public funding for the NFL. And they deserve it. The NFL hardly needs any public funding.

I'm really surprised that the coaches and owners are allowing this. The anthem controversy is undeniably hurting the NFL, with lower ratings and fans booing their own teams for disrespecting the anthem. They're going to shoot themselves in the wallet.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The main entity, or administrative section, is non profit. It's franchises are for profit. Pretty glaringly simple thing to miss, if you're ignorant of this worn out topic. If you're talking about stadiums, those subsidies are typically put to a vote. Not saying I agree with it, but you obviously have zero clue what you're talking about.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The Walmart employees are not entertainers, but some are entertaining.

Then Walmart should make its employees sing the national anthem everyday before work.
a reply to: Bone75

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: bender151
The main entity, or administrative section, is non profit. It's franchises are for profit.

Nope.

The NFL gave up the tax exempt status in 2015 following public criticism. The NFL is a parasite.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Yeah and here's what they look like when they're done using and abusing them:

The Silverdome is owned by the City of Pontiac. It's Oakland's County's own mini-Detroit.

These days, the only real use it gets is from local car dealerships storing excess vehicles in the parking lot. Those 3 white billboard-looking things in the back were from a short-lived scheme to run a drive-in theater there.
edit on 26-9-2017 by AndyFromMichigan because: Added info.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

The Silverdome is owned by the City of Pontiac. It's Oakland's County's own mini-Detroit.

Nice, huh? After the Lions finished raw-dogging that venue they said, 'Please, can we have some more?', and all the suckers who voted for public funds in Detroit said sure.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
One positive outcome from these protests could be people demanding these subsidies stop.

That alone would make it worth it.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
There's been petitions on change.org to have this addressed. Not sure whether any of them got the required number of votes. How can it not?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I wouldn't put it past Trump to suggest cutting off all public funding for the NFL. And they deserve it. The NFL hardly needs any public funding.

I'm really surprised that the coaches and owners are allowing this. The anthem controversy is undeniably hurting the NFL, with lower ratings and fans booing their own teams for disrespecting the anthem. They're going to shoot themselves in the wallet.

They're pretending the lower ratings have nothing to do with the anthem protests. They're as delusional as the people who think Hillary only lost because of sexism.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Too bad it is not an election year, the debates brought the NFL ratings down last year.

Maybe NFL fans just don't like the kneeling.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
One positive outcome from these protests could be people demanding these subsidies stop.

You don't support the troops?

Just kidding. But part of the investment is using the NFL as a recruiter.

Part is trying to pump an economy of a city up with cronyism.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: Grambler

You don't support the troops?

Just kidding. But part of the investment is using the NFL as a recruiter.

Part is trying to pump an economy of a city up with cronyism.

Of course I support all troops.

Just last week I bought cookies from a local girl scout troop, and would happily support more troops by purchasing from them.

Jokes aside, I am not a fan of paying for patriotism.

These subsidies should go.

Let local high school singers do the anthem, or a local soldier.

No need for million dollar displays.
edit on 26-9-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Well we meet back together here friend.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

They're pretending the lower ratings have nothing to do with the anthem protests. They're as delusional as the people who think Hillary only lost because of sexism.

I've heard them blaming hurricanes (for a problem that started a year ago), shorter attention spans (nice opinion of your fans there), the election debates (then why are ratings still down, Sherlock?), and any & every random show that has run in the same time slot. They can't possibly be so stupid that they don't see this controversy is hurting them. They're just too cowardly to tell the players to leave their politics in the locker room and just play football.

BTW, you could clearly hear New England and Dallas fans booing their teams before the game. If these guys think the fans are behind them, they're badly mistaken.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

This is all one reduction of advertisement revenue from being solved.

The NFL is not about football.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join