It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roger Goodell Ignoring Leagues Own Rules in Letting Players Protest Anthem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
It appears that, for some reason, the NFL has chosen to ignore its own rule book when it comes to standing for the Anthem.

The NFL rule book specifically requires both teams appear on the field for the playing of the anthem, standing, remaining quiet, and holding their helmets in their left hands. Failure to do so can result in fines, suspensions, and the loss of draft picks.

The rules are found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.

During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

Really? The guy who spent millions to go after Brady for the alleged offence of under inflating footballs doesn't know the league's own rules when it come to observing the National Anthem...couldn't be.

The Post reported Sunday that the NFL confirmed the rule's existence but emphasized their ability to enforce it selectively

So, let me get this straight. The Commissioner has no problem going after the most popular QB in the league for a minor infraction of the rules, that almost nobody cared about, because it was a rules violation - but he has decided to "selectively" ignore actions by players that are angering the majority of the fan base, and which is partly responsible for a dramatic ratings decline for the sport.

Are we living in Superman's Bizarro world now?

Kneeling Players are Breaking NFL Rules

edit on Mon Sep 25 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: ALL CAPS IN TITLE

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
"So let me get this straight..."

Why is it every time that line is used, everything that follows is utter hogwash?

Anyways, it would behoove you to actually read from the horses mouth and if the results offend you, oh well.

Freedom is more important than the delicate feelings of precious snowflakes.

(By the way, this has already been posted - and debunked - ad naseum).

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
There's "talk" that the "rules" cited do not actually exist.

Somebody needs to link and quote the real "rulebook".

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

The NFL has allowed this problem to go on too long. They have no way out of it now because half of their customers are going to boycott whatever they do at this point. I am sure I am not the only one that is perfectly happy without the NFL.

The NFL has doomed itself through their inaction.

edit on 2017/9/25 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
"So let me get this straight..."

Why is it every time that line is used, everything that follows is utter hogwash?

Anyways, it would behoove you to actually read from the horses mouth and if the results offend you, oh well.

Freedom is more important than the delicate feelings of precious snowflakes.

(By the way, this has already been posted - and debunked - ad naseum).

As long as you support my right to boycott the NFL then I am right there with you.

Freedom on both sides and everybody wins except the NFL.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
It turns out white tears and not climate change are fueling all these hurricanes. For humanity's same you guys need to dry up!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Probably because when weighing out all the potential repercussions, he realizes numerous players would group together and not play as a protest, and that would be even worse, business wise. So his actions could be kicking a hornet's nest so to say. Remember, money and margins will be the foundation for most business decisions and policy gray areas.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Why so much outrage about this? Remind me again why people get so outraged about these things?

I mean, I love the flag and have a ginormous one in my business. I mean it's probably bigger than Trumps wall. Seriously. I love it that much.

But I still agree that it's okay to protest by taking a knee. I'm a Vet. I served so that they can have that right.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Players didnt even go on the field until the NFL had a partnership deal with the military for $$$.

And anyone who actually pays attention to football knows this.

Oh and :

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

The only ones violating are the players or teams that didnt come out for the anthem. It helps to read what youre citing.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Goodell has to e good(pun intended) right now. He's pissed off two of the most influential owners. The ones that REALLY run the league. They say this is OK, it's OK. This is also a contract year for him. Personally I'd like to see him gone.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
It turns out white tears and not climate change are fueling all these hurricanes. For humanity's same you guys need to dry up!

Practice deep profound bigotry much ?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Why so much outrage about this? Remind me again why people get so outraged about these things?

I mean, I love the flag and have a ginormous one in my business. I mean it's probably bigger than Trumps wall. Seriously. I love it that much.

But I still agree that it's okay to protest by taking a knee. I'm a Vet. I served so that they can have that right.

Do you agree it is okay for people to boycott the NFL?

Freedom is a two-way street is all I am saying.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

From the article in the OP...

UPDATE TWO: After Grabien contacted Snopes.com, bringing the above facts to their attention, the author amended his article, confirming the existence of the above-state rule, and changed their description of this story from "false" to "mixture."

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Goodell has to e good(pun intended) right now. He's pissed off two of the most influential owners. The ones that REALLY run the league. They say this is OK, it's OK. This is also a contract year for him. Personally I'd like to see him gone.

A good coach is hard to find
A good US coach is even harder these days....

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Everyone is trying to distract from RUSSIAN COLLUSION these days. What's up with that?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Jeez, why can't these football players just be politically correct and stand for the anthem? It's not like being PC is "ruining the country" or anything. No one was saying that a couple of months ago, or maybe my memory isn't as good as I thought?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Yeah, I'm okay with that. I just think it's a bad reason or a very minor reason to stop watching a sports league, especially if you like the sport. I like watching NFL football on a Sunday. It's just part of a good lazy end to the weekend. I enjoy following my team. It's a fun thing to do and bond with friends and family. The NFL if anything has always been a very patriotic league. I understand why Kap and some of the other guys are protesting and again, I served so that they could protest. It's an American right. I don't take offense to it.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

We have to tell Congress to stop giving taxpayer money to the NFL. BILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN SUBSIDIES!
money.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

From the article in the OP...

UPDATE TWO: After Grabien contacted Snopes.com, bringing the above facts to their attention, the author amended his article, confirming the existence of the above-state rule, and changed their description of this story from "false" to "mixture."

Convincing indeed.

But where's the actual rule book at ?

Not seeing it anywhere with the described language.

Might be in the players association handbook. Where's that at ?

Very confusing.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Everyone is trying to distract from RUSSIAN COLLUSION these days. What's up with that?

As I recall, the Dem playbook is:

1) Take Trump down by way of an impeachable offence related to Russian Collusion
2) If that fails, push the narrative that Trump is an unrepentant Racist, Neo-Nazi, Hitler clone
3) If that fails, push the narrative that Trump is unfit to serve based on some ill-defined mental illness or infirmity (like dementia)

If the above three fail, then claim that he was actually born in East Germany, to a Soviet Russian Oligarch, who had genetically transferable dotardedness...thus rendering him both unfit for, and disqualified from, the office of POTUS.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join