It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Qatar looking at capabilites or politics with its Typhoon puchase?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Qatar now has of ordered 3 of the best examples of 4-4.5 Generations fighters. Following its purchase of Rafales AND F-15QA, its now announced it will purchase 24 Typhoons to round out its AF. The country if delivered will field 24 Rafales, 24 Typhoons and 36 F-15's that will replace 80+ Mirage 2000's. As the article speculates they may have a hard time maintain this force. But, it may also be hedging politcal bets as well. Its also possible that they may intend to possibly outsource the no only the MRO aspects but perhaps the piloting as well? I could see Blackwater et al making a pitch for that kind of service.

If they can maintain and keep proficient pilots it would be quite an capable AF.

aviationweek.com...

ATS Thread on the F-15QA deal
edit on 9/25/17 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I'd say they're trying to beef up just in case they ever wind up having to go without the free air force they essentially have as long as the US has AUAB there.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I guess when you're sitting on liquid gold, you really don't have to care about simplicity of supply chains or pilots and maintenance training costs.
It's definitely spreading the love around though.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It makes sense really.

They lack a domestic armaments industry so if one of their major suppliers suddenly turned hostile, and thus unwilling to provide the sufficent support for their armaments that would create no end of problems.

Spreading it around like this, while it will likely increase the suicide rate of the poor guys who work at the Air Force Logistics Wing, ensures at least an operable air force in the event one supplier is unwilling to sell to them anymore.

For an example of how this can go just look at Iran. Under the Shah Iran enjoyed the ability to purchase whatever they wanted from America. M60A3 tanks, TOW anti-tank missiles, HAWK anti-air missiles, F-14 (and even F-15) fighter jets, etc.

When the Revolution came America was not willing to supply a hostile power so they had to build an armaments industry from the ground up to support their largely American-based equipment.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
They can push a lot of that logistics back onto Eurofighter, Boeing and Rafale with a kind of over the counter process which the RAF use. Its called something like 2nd line repair, the systems they can remove and get fixed (like DASS, Radar, Fuel Computers, Displays, Engines etc) they swap out and put through a hole in the wall whereby the manufacturer takes it away. Other stuff they have to themselves whereby it isn't cost effective or possible to repair (replacements).

It doesnt mean BAE for example would open a workshop in country as its mostly subcontract parts and sitting in such a hub as Qatar it really isnt adding much to the difference between the Luftwaffe sending a HUD back to England to be repaired to Qatar, only a few more hours.

Its effectively an availability contract, if the parts dont meet the spec the contractor pays, if they do, the customer pays. Takes a lot less spares to maintain a fleet, however, if you dont purchase those spares and rely completely on the process, you end up having donor aircraft, which is more expensive than buying enough spares.

It is inefficient definitely having 3 models with similar roles although I dont know anything about the F-15s they have I think (stand by to be corrected) it is either and Eagle or a Mudhen, not a true multirole? The issue here is probably pilots, you would have to rotate a lot of pilots a lot of the time to be combat ready. I assume even in Qatar you need type certifications so splitting your forces could mean your pilots are the weakest link in the chain, which is probably where the strongest link should be!

It would be interesting to see the in service rivalry between F-15, Tiffys and Rafale jockeys thats for sure!

edit on 26 9 2017 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I suspect that they intend to use the F-15's (They are basically the apex F-15E that the Saudi's bought) in the strike role, the Rafales and the Typhoons in the A2A role

new topics

top topics

join