It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

.......Steelers coach Mike Tomlin rap Alejandro Villanueva, while his jersey sales soar

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
Quiet people.

Kaps jersey is still the best sellling.

Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it.

Rather smoke something else, smoking a jersey.. Yuch!!..

BTW great for Kep. For getting ppl woke, in the tradition of Ali and the 68
Olympics raised fist.
One other thing folks especially Blk folks been boycotting the NFL, hard as it was for a lot of them as that's all the talk about on my social media.

Millions of Americans are in the dark in Puerto Rico, number 45 did not offer much comfort so far.

edit on 26-9-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: TinfoilTP

I thought we are supposed to boycott NFL?
Now I'm confused.

Everyone is buying one guy's stuff more than anyone else, sounds like a clear message to me.

Your definition of "everyone" is a clear message that you are a a little too hyped from Trumps latest pep rally, take a moment and post again with clarity.
edit on 26-9-2017 by SudoNim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

You and everyone else in Pittsburgh!

JT

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I can't imagine the player is too happy about suddenly finding himself become poster boy for racists.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz
I can't imagine the player is too happy about suddenly finding himself become poster boy for racists.

So now standing for the National Anthem of the US is...racist???

GFY! (hard!)

edit on 9/26/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: RainyState

Jesus, thanks for the awesome reply!

I was reading some of the responses to this post like I often read the newspaper---wanting to chuck it out the window!!

I think you said it perfectly well.

The flag bears the meaning each one of us imparts on it.

Thank you
edit on 26-9-2017 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainyState
Here's my two cents for whatever it's worth....

I feel that patriotism, the flag, and the national anthem all have different meanings to different people. For example, I have fairly strong feelings towards the flag and anthem. Personally, I feel that it's disrespectful not standing for the anthem and burning the flag, or at the very least, a bad showing of manners. One of my biggest regrets in life was not being able to serve my country(ironically due to a football injury). Despite my personal feelings towards standing, kneeling, or sitting during the anthem, I will not condemn somebody else for exercising their right to do or say as long as it falls within their legal right to do so.

That said....

What's really pissing me off about Villeneuve coming out and standing alone, is all of the talk of him wanting attention, or not being a good teammate, or whatever screwed up narrative people want to use to disrespect the man. The dude is a DECORATED VET! There's pretty good chance that he has had people he has served with lose their lives while serving their country. The anthem and flag mean something more to this man than a lot of other people.

I'd bet my next paycheck that his standing for the anthem, alone, had absolutely NOTHING to do with the protests, President, or police violence. He's not doing it to stand out, or make a statement. He's not protesting or being a nonconformist. He is standing for something bigger than himself. He's standing for the people that HE served with, HIS brothers and sisters that have gave all for their country. ANYBODY that ridicules Villeneuve for standing up should be ashamed of themselves.

One last thing,
ANYBODY that feels that Alejandro Villeneuve owes some sort of apology for standing up during the National Anthem can TRULY GO F***OFF. Most of us aren't worthy of cleaning this guy's jock strap, much less criticize him for showing a little decency and respect for his country and fellow soldiers.

Very well said!!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Painterz

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
So now standing for the National Anthem of the US is...racist???

GFY! (hard!)

Wow... you just made one hell of a leap to pull that card. Its not even close to what Painterz stated.

Utterly ridiculous.
edit on 26-9-2017 by SudoNim because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Only Villanueva said this wasn't supposed to go down this way and he unintentionally threw his teammates under the bus. You Trumpers can keep worshiping your false idol. Villanueva is with the team not with Trump! After he came out and spoke up. You clowns look even more foolish. Derp derp derp

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The thing that is lost in all of the back and forth is attached to the 1st Amendment talk. I think everyone can agree that players have the right to protest, or whatever they want to say it was on Sunday. Villanueva also has the right to go and honor the anthem. We have the right to free speech in this country, but not the right to consequence-free speech. We are seeing that played out. The consequence for Villanueva for defying the team's decision is backlash from his team. This is fair. The league is feeling consequence in the form of ratings dips, and general fan backlash.

I personally feel that Trump has a big mouth. I want politics out of my football. That includes the Tweeter In Chief. Calling these guys SOBs was well over the line, as was telling the owners how to run their business. He's an idiot for that.

Kaepernick and all the other guys kneeling to protest injustices are free to do so. I disagree with it, and I feel the venue isn't the place for it. I also disagree with protesting the flag and anthem, as they are symbols that represent good, even if some hateful people have hidden behind them. I do agree that there are injustices, and there are still bigots running around; That is the fallen world we live in, and it sucks. However, white people helped elect a black man to the highest office of the land, and have many black millionaires who play games for a living.

Men like Anquan Boldin earn my respect. He said it was his "life's mission to help people," and partially retired to do that. Putting his money and notoriety to positive use. I know a lot of these NFL players do good in their communities, and strive to help. It seems they all have a foundation. I'd rather hear stories of Marshawn Lynch helping out in his community (which largely goes under-reported) than see guys pull stunts during football on Sundays.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

America has spoken, Fire the SOB's!!!

I don't think you could be more misleading if you tried. The rather tiny sample size from jersey sales means pretty much nothing other than some people support the idea that it's ok to suppress citizens first amendment rights. It's a dark path that leads to "You WILL stand during our anthem or you WILL be punished!" Heil Trump!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   

"Unfortunately, I threw (my teammates) under the bus, unintentionally," he said. "Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed.
"We as a team tried to figure it out. Obviously we butchered it. ... I'm not gonna pretend I have some kind of righteous voice."

Source

Are refunds allowed? I see a lot of these people praising him trading their jerseys for a pitchfork here soon.
edit on 9/26/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

"Unfortunately, I threw (my teammates) under the bus, unintentionally," he said. "Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed.
"We as a team tried to figure it out. Obviously we butchered it. ... I'm not gonna pretend I have some kind of righteous voice."

Source

Are refunds allowed? I see a lot of these people praising him trading their jerseys for a pitchfork here soon.

I really like how he said "I'm not gonna pretend I have a righteous voice."

Stay humble, man.

Not to mention, it's his freedom to stand just as its his teammates freedom to kneel. Pretty sure that's he's backpeddling, he's not too concerned with those "sons' a bitches," exercising their Constitutional rights.

Now if only some ATS members would stop pretending they have a righteous voice...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Source

I really like how he said "I'm not gonna pretend I have a righteous voice."

Stay humble, man.

Not to mention, it's his freedom to stand just as its his teammates freedom to kneel. Pretty sure that's he's backpeddling, he's not too concerned with those "sons' a bitches," exercising their Constitutional rights.

Now if only some ATS members would stop pretending they have a righteous voice...

Its ok. We forgive you for your righteous tone.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JackSparrow17

I respect, your opinion but I disagree, there simply is no perfect time to lodge a protest for maximum effect, private business have the right to respond negatively and fire those who they think hurt their brand, and J.Q public have the right to give them the middle finger, or support them, but Government??? Have no place in this barring NTL security.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The government shouldn't be involved in this in any way. I don't like when Presidents or politicians getting interjecting in entertainment stuff like football or basketball. I'm not sure where we disagree, aside from venue of protesting. Just like it's a turn-off when politicians open their big mouths about issues that don't concern them, having an entertainment, pastime, distraction, etc be turned into a political platform.

Remember the guy that Google fired for his writings and opinion? He used the company time and platform to spout his beliefs. He exercised his 1st Amendment right. But that right is consequence free. Google had the absolute right to fire him, and he deserved it. It was the wrong place and time to do so.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

How ironic that all the supposedly "racist" Trump fans are all buying the jersey of a guy with a *gasp* Hispanic-sounding name. Maybe they are only concerned about the issues, and don't really care about skin color/ethnicity as much as some think they do.

I thought all these Trump fans didn't want politics in their sports?

Or is that the only want THEIR politics in their sports?

As long as some people are trying to force politics into sports, might as well support the ones you agree with, which they seem to be doing with no regard to skin color/ethnicity.

Winner indeed.

If by some people, you mean Donald Trump, then I whole heartedly agree.

People do realize that these protests were a reaction to his tweet.... right?

..... right?

Don't kid yourself, all Trump did was hit fast forward.

The Kaepernick issue was a dead horse.

Donald decided to beat it with a tweet from left field. Others decided to react to a president suggesting an independent company fire an employee over an incident that honestly wasn't even relevant.

You guys can thank Donald Trump for making this non-issue relevant, and therefore an issue again.

Have to admit - makes a great distraction from the fact that the GOP can't repeal the ACA.

Almost like he planned it.

You just stated you do not own cable..this would explain how you did not see the media covering and making sure everyone can NEVER FORGET.

The hundreds of hours of talk about it on radio..the mentions of it every 10 minutes on EVERY newscast...sportscast, EVERYDAY ALL DAY well before the Prez mentioned anything.

LoL. dude..

Trump is as sick of it as the rest..glad he spoke up.

Cause we are sick of your pathetic protests meant to make us all self-hate....because we are "progressing".
edit on 26-9-2017 by ParasuvO because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

Then perhaps you'd like to clarify what he said then, because that's certainly what it looks like to me. In fact, how can it be interpreted any differently????

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
Now he is apologizing for it. I have to wonder if he is being made to do this.

pittsburgh.cbslocal.com...

This has become such BFS!!!
Villanueva owes absolutely NO ONE an Appology. And origionally this was a decision decided by the players, not the coaching staff or Rooney's to not get involved in these protest. Just play football that was stated by Tomlin after Sunday's game.

Alejandro Villanueva was showing his respect to his fellow Servicemen and country.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
SOMEONE still loves us....
www.post-gazette.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join