It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grade school students required to carry RFID tags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In an effort to ease attendance taking, Brittan Elementary School in SUTTER, Calif. has mandated that all students carry RFID tags. Note, this system was imposed without parental input.
Students who do not carry the RFID tags an and will be disciplined even though some parents are objecting to the use of the tags.

Students ordered to wear tracking tags

SUTTER, Calif. - The only grade school in this rural town is requiring students to wear radio frequency identification badges that can track their every move. Some parents are outraged, fearing it will rob their children of privacy. The badges introduced at Brittan Elementary School on Jan. 18 rely on the same radio frequency and scanner technology that companies use to track livestock and product inventory. While similar devices are being tested at several schools in Japan so parents can know when their children arrive and leave, Brittan appears to be the first U.S. school district to embrace such a monitoring system.Civil libertarians hope to keep it that way.

There goes the privacy rights of not only our children but the rights of the parents!. Be warned, maybe comming to a school near you!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
excellent...

I like the idea... they'll know where every student is at all times !!

sign me up.... get one for my 12 year old daughter... hee hee hee, it'll come in handy when she's 16-17 and dating...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
excellent...

sign me up.... get one for my 12 year old daughter... hee hee hee, it'll come in handy when she's 16-17 and dating...

Yea, that's assuming that none of the children actually take a moment to think, and remove the badges.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think its a great idea, as long as there not permanently on you.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tebyen

Originally posted by elevatedone
excellent...

Yea, that's assuming that none of the children actually take a moment to think, and remove the badges.

that's easy... just make them like the arm bands that they pass out at events... such as where you have to purchase / get an armband and wear it to purchase drinks.... those paper bands are tough as nails... ever tried to get one off

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
In an effort to ease attendance taking, Brittan Elementary School in SUTTER, Calif. has mandated that all students carry RFID tags. Note, this system was imposed without parental input.

What possible input could the parents have?
'No, don't do it, its the mark of the beast'?

There goes the privacy rights of not only our children but the rights of the parents!.

Children have no right to privacy on school grounds, at least outside of their person, and this isn't an invasion of privacy anyway, no more than taking attendance itself is.

Be warned, maybe comming to a school near you!

I'd say to reject it, because its not going to accomplish anything. Heck, it'll make cutting easier. 'Jo, take my card and swipe it, i'm going to snort a little yea in the bathroom and then bang one of the girls there too, here take her card also'.

Its just going to be a waste of money and effort.

Meanwhile, a student pulled a gun on a security office (or was it an actual cop) in school nonetheless in NYC. He was sentenced to paroll only. Then him and a gang of his friends mugged a passerby a week or so ago, and then after that they beat one woman's boyfriend and the student murdered the girl.

And they're bothering to spend money on an electronic attendance system? yeesh. Give them cattle prods and prison cells in the school, that might accomplish something.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
you'd have to put knew ones on each day tho, or make them removable, in which case students will remove them.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   
never mind... I'm a dummy...

[edit on 10-2-2005 by elevatedone]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Nygdan,

What possible input could the parents have?
'No, don't do it, its the mark of the beast'?

parents should always have at least some input as to the welfare of their children. If schools are now no longer considering the the wishes of the parents, then we as a (democratic LOL) nation are losing our ground faster and faster.

Children have no right to privacy on school grounds, at least outside of their person, and this isn't an invasion of privacy anyway, no more than taking attendance itself is.

At present, that is the case, but do not forget, that in the recent news, the privacy rights of children is growing. Example, Mom's eavesdropping violated Privacy Act, state Supreme Court rules

Even the American Bar Association says that

All American citizens are guaranteed some inalienable, absolutely indisputable rights. These rights will hold up in any court in the United States and prove more powerful than any competing arguments. They are the ones that offer many Americans a secure peace of mind and have allowed the U.S. to become the most efficient democracy in the world. These rights grant the justice system a certain sense of credibility and give the judicial branch a basic ground to start from. But for children, these same rights are virtually nonexistent.

Here is the link ABA
Even our legal system is now taking notice that the rights of the american child needs attention and enforcement.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
parents should always have at least some input as to the welfare of their children.

Sure, but this doesn't affect their welfare. The parents need not be consulted if the school is going to automate its attendence system.

If schools are now no longer considering the the wishes of the parents, then we as a (democratic LOL) nation are losing our ground faster and faster.

Because of an attendance system?

At present, that is the case, but do not forget, that in the recent news, the privacy rights of children is growing.

All well and good, but none of those say that schools can have electronic attendance systems or even support the idea that their right to privacy is being violated. They're students. If its a hall pass or a electric card that lets teachers know where they are, what difference does it make?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
It is a decent idea tho, if there was some way to make it so students can't take them off and only parents can, ro something.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
At first this sounded really good. Then i thought about being a child. Sneaking off occasionally doing this and that. Don't kids have some right to privacy?

Perhaps for legal/safety reasons at school maybe they are ok. Should a kid be a prisoner of what adults think they should be doing? Sounds like a kind of torture to me. Kids should be educated and encouraged to do the right thing, but give them some breathing room too.

Some parents may [wish to] forget it, But kids are people too.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
First off the US is a Republic not a democracy.

I can't fathom anyone who would have a membership on this site condoning TAGGING of our children. I remeber Back in the day when FDR said Social security would be a volunteer organization and it would never be used as a National ID nor would taxes ever go higher than 1%.

Now apply this GovernMENTAL thinking to TAGGING our population.
Hmm this year grade kids, next year High school, we already know that kids are being ID as a Preventitive kidnapping measure.

My sisters kids were fingerprinted at school and the school didn't even tell the parents. Since they live in a lucritive part of NM it wasn't suprising.
Soon our passports will be tagged.They tag ex-cons which is fine, but when is enough enough.
Small goverenment personal accountibility

No matter what the government does there will always be crime, murder deaths and terrorism. Why destroy whats left of our freedoms, in the NAME of SAFTEY ....amen.

If everyone carried a gun we would all be on equal ground and all the idoits would be dead.

Other than that I have had a good day sunny and beautiful.

(apply slow clap and stand up)

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm in high school and if the schools made us wear these things i would cut class all of the time in spite of them. Wearing one of those things would be a total invasion of privasy. I rarely cut class now but if they had me wear one of those i would never be seen in school.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by Willy17]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:16 PM
link   
in case one is interested and would like to pass this on to your concerned friends & family.

[email protected]
Superintendent & Principal

BOARD OF TRUSTEES

2004/2005

President: Mr. Don Hagland

Trustee: Mr. Russ Takata

Trustee: Mr. Mark Lemenager

Trustee: Mrs. Debbie Spurling

Trustee: Mrs. Michelle Ziegenmeyer

www.brittan.k12.ca.us...

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wow. And some of us agree with this. You would like a personal one for your own children? What ever happened to raising your children the right way and trusting them to follow your thoughts and ideas with just a little bit of straying here and there for experimentation. And yes, I'm a father of 2 girls and 1 boy. I do not believe in following and knowing every one of their movements.

Wow!!! I really do fear our future.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Yeehah! The whole country is turning into Texas. Tag their ears why don't you, that way you know the tags won't fall out. Brand them too, so you know which one's yours. Get a tazer to move them around when they're being stubborn. Hell, carve them up and feed the rest of the family when everyone's hungry.

Am I in the minority in seeing a problem with this? You tag cattle. You tag rare sharks to study their migration. You don't tag your children for cryin' out loud!

Watch the South Park episode titled "Child Abuction Isn't Funny." Child-Tracker here we come. Where are the Mongols when you need them?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Update to this story,

Company pulls out of deal to track students. SUTTER, Calif. - The grade school that required students to wear radio frequency identification badges that can track their every move has ended the program because the company that developed the technology pulled out.

Company pulls out of deal to track students

top topics

join