It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There's nothing more 'American' than an American protesting the American government.

Quote of the day! Truth.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I've presented flags to relatives of fallen service members and been present when other flags are presented.

The reason the presenter "takes a knee" is to bring himself/herself to eye level with the recipient. One should never be in a position to look down on them at that moment.

However, if during the ceremony the recipient is standing, the soldier remains standing when presenting the flag. He/she does not take a knee.

I don't really care who gave Colin an excuse for taking a knee during the national anthem or how it's portrayed. Wearing a green beanie does not mean a person knows more about military history or military ceremonies than any other soldier (if anything they tend to know less as they are exempt from 95% of the duties all other soldiers do).

As a veteran (Army Infantry 21 years), I am all for him having the right to protest as he sees fit. I don't believe I've said otherwise. I think it's great that he gets to watch football like the rest of us now too. Team owners have a right to never sign him. I as a citizen have a right to call him a PoS for disrespecting something I honor and cherish. We all have rights. We all need to be aware that there are consequences of exercising those rights sometimes.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This has nothing to do with the first amendment.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm not Christian and I apologize for being off topic, but:

1 Chronicles 17:16
David went in, sat before the Lord, and said: Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my family, that you should have brought me to this point?

Nehemiah 8:6
Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God, and all the people replied Amen! Amen! as they lifted their hands. Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Daniel 6:10
When Daniel realized that a written decree had been issued, he entered his home, where the windows in his upper room opened toward Jerusalem. Three times daily he was kneeling and offering prayers and thanks to his God just as he had been accustomed to do previously.

Mark 11:25
Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven will also forgive you your sins.

You notice that "every knee shall bow" is a term of subjugation - even in the Bible, yes? Outside of prayer and "communication with God, "bending the knee" to God was accepting Him as the divine Master and Creator as well as not only worshipping him but giving yourself to him.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm not Christian and I apologize for being off topic, but:

1 Chronicles 17:16
David went in, sat before the Lord, and said: Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my family, that you should have brought me to this point?

Nehemiah 8:6
Ezra blessed the LORD, the great God, and all the people replied Amen! Amen! as they lifted their hands. Then they bowed down and worshiped the LORD with their faces to the ground.

Daniel 6:10
When Daniel realized that a written decree had been issued, he entered his home, where the windows in his upper room opened toward Jerusalem. Three times daily he was kneeling and offering prayers and thanks to his God just as he had been accustomed to do previously.

Mark 11:25
Whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven will also forgive you your sins.

You notice that "every knee shall bow" is a term of subjugation - even in the Bible, yes? Outside of prayer and "communication with God, "bending the knee" to God was accepting Him as the divine Master and Creator as well as not only worshipping him but giving yourself to him.

Don't use this as an indication of these guys praying to God or giving support to the flag. The original guy said he refused to stand for the flag and country that's how he meant it.
edit on 27-9-2017 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

a reply to: Xcalibur254

I've presented flags to relatives of fallen service members and been present when other flags are presented.

The reason the presenter "takes a knee" is to bring himself/herself to eye level with the recipient. One should never be in a position to look down on them at that moment.

However, if during the ceremony the recipient is standing, the soldier remains standing when presenting the flag. He/she does not take a knee.

I don't really care who gave Colin an excuse for taking a knee during the national anthem or how it's portrayed. Wearing a green beanie does not mean a person knows more about military history or military ceremonies than any other soldier (if anything they tend to know less as they are exempt from 95% of the duties all other soldiers do).

As a veteran (Army Infantry 21 years), I am all for him having the right to protest as he sees fit. I don't believe I've said otherwise. I think it's great that he gets to watch football like the rest of us now too. Team owners have a right to never sign him. I as a citizen have a right to call him a PoS for disrespecting something I honor and cherish. We all have rights. We all need to be aware that there are consequences of exercising those rights sometimes.

Some of those recipients are attending the games as well. This is why there is outrage over it.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Not at all.

This is a response to Gryph that there is no proscribed position in the Bible for prayer.

That's all.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

a reply to: ThirdEyeofHorus

Not at all.

This is a response to Gryph that there is no proscribed position in the Bible for prayer.

That's all.

I see. Thanks fir the clarification.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
First to start, I'm a veteran. I served in the US Army from 2003 to 2006 and spent time deployed in Iraq. So I've fought for the flag, defended it, and understand its meaning very well. So don't try to pull any crap about me not understanding what the flag stands for.

I'm appalled at so called free speech advocates getting all bent out-of-shape over NFL players protesting the National Anthem by kneeling during it. Saying these players should be fired or fined for their actions. Um. What? For one, these are the same people who complain about conservative speakers having their first amendment rights violated for being banned from speaking engagements. Do they not see the hypocrisy of demanding other people do or say things they want them to?

Plus, there is no law saying you have to honor the National Anthem or the flag. You don't have to salute or put your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance either. Respecting the flag is a personal choice you make when you see it. Requiring respect is authoritarian to the core.

This action is also a form of protest. Which is another right covered by the First Amendment. You can't complain about it being violent because they are just kneeling and not doing anything else.

The founding fathers fought and died to found a country where a citizen can protest their problems with society or government without fear of reprisal (that's what the flag stands for btw). Yet there are American citizens trying to have these players reprimanded because they don't want to blindly worship the flag or country. You may not agree with their cause, but you damn sure don't have the right to take away their ability to protest the flag and ironically are dishonoring the VERY flag you are trying to defend with your actions.

As an Army veteran, my opinion is that blindly worshiping the flag is a better way of showing you don't know what the flag stands for or means.
You're right...These Black Panther, Thugs Lives Matter have every right to hate our flag and our Country...They can raise their black fists when they sack a white quarterback and wear socks with pigs with police hats on them...

And while they have the right to protest our Country, we have the right to protest them...

Seems to be a really idiotic move to inject their politics into Professional Sports...They have offended and alieniated the majority of Americans, the very people who spend the money that allows them to be very wealthy...It will come back to bite them...Already is...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Iscool

Idiotic explains it precisely.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: 3n19m470

A President using his office to influence a business' business decisions is an ethics violation, and him telling the company to fine or fire the players is borderline unconstitutional.

Oh. I didnt know your thread was about that. I guess I'll go read the OP again, and if I can find anything of any relevancy what so ever to your above response, I shall return.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I'm angry about police brutality too. So, my chosen form of protest which has nothing to do with police, is that, everytime i see a minority, I just pretend they dont exist, because, you see, that minority could be killed by a cop later that day, so, its a form of respect to the dead, that, until this problem is 100% solved, im forcing myself to experience a life without our beloved minorities... Its a self punishment.

I cant speak to them, look at them, or acknowledge them. I don't deserve to. My white privilege caused this, I was taught... How can I bear to look them in the eye...knowing I helped cause all of this by being white...

I mean, yeah, I was bullied and came home from school crying, bloodied, or just flat out miserable a lot of days. We were poor, and my foster parents never taught me proper hygiene, so i didn't really learn until i stayed in one school district for longer than one year to be able to make a friend who enlightened me on the realities of life.

But, those were just white tears, they arent worth much. What we Really need to focus on, is the non whites. Togetherness is NOT key. What we need to do, is point the finger. Find someone to blame, and just punish and hate the ever living sh* outta them, and that fixes everything. Cant you see how things are getting better already?

If all the whites would enforce a self imposed exile from the presence of our helpless victims, like Ive chosen to do, since i do not deserve their company, not until we have equality in this country

(literally an impossible goal lol, so people will ALWAYS be able to say things like "we still, in this day and age, do not have equality in this country, and thats a problem!),

then we can really get the party started that these guys wanna throw.

Those of you who say im being disrespectful or hateful...you just don't understand what the protest is about.

I mean, yeah, to,an outside observer, someone ignoring our flag might seem distespectful too, but, they Just dont understand the protest.

See, they were mad at police brutality, so, naturally, the first logical step is to basically renounce your us citizenship and take a dump on the flag.

No actions or words of significance directed toward the police yet... But the rest of the nation, those if us who actualky WANT to be part of it, got the message loud and clear...

"We are the best country in the world. You could drop one of these guys off anywhere on the planet and they wouldnt be better off anywhere than here in america... But thats still not good enough and you are all a bunch of losers, and even worse, racist! Shame on you for only being 99.57% perfect! Shame on you for uplifting the black race to such a level of prominence never before seen, and also every other color shape or size of person who sets foot on American soil!"

K. Got it. And I totally understand that it is within your 1st amendment rights to be...like that...

My response remains the same. You're acting exactly like a bunch of ungrateful ignorant rednecks who have no idea of conditions around the globe. Completely sheltered children who have no idea how lucky they really are, threatening to run away from home when mommy didn't give you money for the ice cream man.

You wouldn't last a week without America's benevolent love and protection...

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

How so? I'm curious how the Constitutional right of religion, speech, press, protests*, and assembly has nothing to do with the first amendment.
edit on 28-9-2017 by RomeByFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'm seriously thinking about boycotting NASCAR now...because of Richard Petty's unpatriotic rant about kneeling during the anthem.
edit on 28-9-2017 by Erno86 because: added a couple of words

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: UKTruth

How so? I'm curious how the Constitutional right of religion, speech, press, protests*, and assembly has nothing to do with the first amendment.

Did trump pass a law saying they can't protest?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
ALL of them and celebrities ARE PLAYERS they are OVER COMPENSATED prima donna's who forgot their collective PLACES in society.
THEY are ONLY to AMUSE us as entertainment.
NOW they think we should HEAR their politics?
A jocks politics OR A PRETENDERS politics ,WHICH hold more value compared to a MILITARY here?
CASE closed.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Ill ask the same question here?
Why do we stand during the anthem? Respect.. When you dont it is disrespect period.

Why do players of almost every sport all over the world kneel when another player is injured?

Out of respect.

A division, a wound festers in our country. Trump furthers that divide when his responsibility is to heal and unite.

I understand why players choose to kneel.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
trump is itching for a race war and he's using his supporter..

it would be a huge deflection for him and his BIGLEY problems.

(I can see how easy it was for hitler now.)

well played, putin, well played.

deleting the tweets, simply distraction. we took the bait as he knew we would. lol

well played, trump.

imo, he's scared and he don't care. scared of putin, too, I would imagine.

edit on 28-9-2017 by knoxie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Jesus Christ I thought the election divided Americans. This is like on a whole other level I dont even watch sports and I cant go anywhere without hearing people talking about this/arguing about it. Its so corny and cliché but this time I can say it with absolute confidence, the divided states of America is finally here. I see three sides of the argument, but the initial consenus is the same those against Trump and pro BLM are absolutely loving it. Those that are pissed they brought politics into one of the last things that let them escape the now inescapable political focused reality that is now America. Then theres those that are super patriotic and see it as a slap in the face to America and the sacrifices made.
edit on 28-9-2017 by CrazyK22 because: ignorance

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

I'm late to this one. But this is more a response to the OP. I didn't know you were a vet. I know we have clashed on some issues, and I have been rude to you before krazy. I assumed you were some troll, and by assuming I made an ass of you and me.

I will remember your post here for a long time to come, and show you more respect from now on.

Because I agree 100%.
I may not agree with every single reason they kneel for the anthem, but it is after all just an anthem, and it is their right to express themselves.

They are athletes, not automatons.
And the way you made your point shows you are no tool either.

Respect and a Star for you!

new topics

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60 >>

join