It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: RomeByFire

Most people weren't even paying attention at all.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Man that's a generalization that all minority athletes are poor from the streets.

So some are on a free ride to college and accepted based on athletic ability alone. I'm still paying off college debt. Privilege arguments are dumb

Congrats to them for doing what they love and doing well but they're privliaged to be in their position and making tons of money doing it

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Some athletes are on a free ride from athletic ability alone? That is far more rare now a days than normal.

Now they have private tutors and specialized degrees in some cases but the days of passing through your sports stars are over.

I coach USA wrestling both freestyle and folk.

They got there even if by athletics alone by very hard work. It wasn't like they were born u.derstanding complex defensive coverages man.

Sounds like your bitter.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Disrespect the flag? Disrespect the Anthem? I don't know........its taken as a sign of disrespect of national symbols I suppose. How would someone in the UK react if someone were to sit down and shoot the bird when the Brits are singing their National Anthem and raising their flag? That would probably be taken as a disrespectful.

1. Are the US players shooting the bird at the national anthem and US flag? If not, then that's an invalid comparison.

2. I'm sure you know this, but the US & UK have some pretty stark political differences. You might as well be saying "How would someone in the UK react if someone were to meet the Queen & not use proper protocol? That would probably be taken as disrespectful".

3. The UK has its own ultra conservatives, fearmongers, and ultra "patriotic" citizens. So of course someone would take their soccer players kneeling to be disrespectful. Then again, there are also a lot of people who are disrespected when people talk in a foreign language; people who are disrespected when others demand that people only talk in a native language; people who are disrespected when people praise God or disrespect God, eat meat or refuse to eat meat, etc. So going simply by what is seen as "disrespectful" or "respectful" is kind of meaningless, hence why I brought up the actual flag code.

Now, how do you feel about the actual examples of US Flag code violations that I listed?
edit on 25-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: clarified & typos. need to start proofreading but i just dont wanna. and really, why should i? it's a forum, not a legislative bill. that's right, i shouldn't HAVE to proofread anything. take that trump!

edit on 25-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: stark not start

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Really wish you would answer this.

Say you find yourself in another country at a sporting event and they play their national anthem. are you going to stand? If so why?

Would you and stand and I am 100% sure you would and why? Is it because you respect their flag so much or is it because you just dont want to be disrespectful to the people that do?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. 8 They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods

It's like a bunch of illiterate people ignoring what is written and worshiping the paper it's written upon.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Not bitter just seeing the whole picture rather then some emotional espn cnn headline

Hell I even think college athletes should get paid

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I served as well, I do find it disrespectful. If you served so a bunch of communist crybabies could take over this country, then I am not too sure why you served.

As much as you respect their right to do it, I respect everyone elses right to see it for what it is.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Well just letting you know the players have to work hard at, at least football which is more complicated than most understand to play and be good players. It's the same as genetics giving you a high eq. You still have to do something to get ahead.

The whole picture is the NFL owners and privileged players know how hard many players have had and overcame the adversity to succeed. Hence give them the space to make these statements.

Guys like Tom Brady who are friends with trump even.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
a reply to: RomeByFire

Most people weren't even paying attention at all.

I wonder where all of the posts about how disgraceful and disrespectful bar patrons are for not standing for the National Anthem?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Communist? That doesn't even make sense.

"Shortly after the start of the 2017 NFL season," a video on the Eagles website announces, "Malcolm Jenkins, Anquan Boldin and Torrey Smith invited Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to meet with police, grassroots organizations, policy leaders and public defenders in Philadelphia. The group, along with Rodney McLeod and Chris Long, met to get a better understanding of the complexities of the criminal justice reform work that many of the players have been conducting over the past year to strengthen the community."

What terrible terrible disrespect....

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Not bitter just seeing the whole picture rather then some emotional espn cnn headline

Hell I even think college athletes should get paid

hmmm.....no emotional FOX NEWS ALERT!!!! headline included?.....

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

This action is also a form of protest. Which is another right covered by the First Amendment.

Here's an idea... Protest on your own time.

During a a game is not their own time. They are on the job (getting paid to entertain paying customers).

Who the hell wants to pay to watch a protest?? Not me.

A past time like a sporting event has no place for politics, period!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Like said before they have a right to make a statement but I feel zero remorse if a owner fires them for protesting

Just like Colin kaepernick being unemployed and being a career backup QB. Why would a team want him and all that drama from a back up coming off a 1-15 season

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

The owners instead totally support them and stood in arms with them.

Which makes it more a 1st amendment issues with trump silencing the owners in the NFL.

Not to mention the president shouldn't way in on who is employed by an employer.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I, personally, am going to make a concerted effort to wear or put a US flag on everything I wear and own.

You don't like the United States?

I'm going to be in your face with what you hate.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The owners instead totally support them and stood in arms with them.

Why do you think they stood? Why didnt they kneel?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: IRexxx

Seeing as that has zero to do with the protests it may not be as offensive as your hoping.

The flag isn't the issue...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
NFL is a private corporation, they can do as they wish. I don't like it so I can vote my disagreement with my wallet. I can't make anyone do anything. I still am allowed an opinion and a vote to go against it as well as a voice to oppose it.

Don't care what anyone else thinks.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
can you imagine if Obama called those tea-party protesters "sons-of-bitches" in a public speech on TV?....

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join