It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 47
<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: nmaben

Is a black vet or white vet more likely to go to jail for the same crime?

I am not sure.

Most studies I have seen suggest that blacks do get harsher penalties and sentences. However, that also say things such a criminal records may play a part in that.

In addition, it could be because in general blacks arrested and charged are poorer and can afford less legal services.

But I will take this at face value. The black is more likely to be arrrsyed, and we should try to solve that problem.

However, that is a drop in the bucket to the disparity between men and women in the criminal justice system.

For example 95 percent of all people shot by police are men.

When will we see marches, protests, and demands for this to change?

And why do many on the left that sincerely want to solve racial disparities in law enforcement not only do nothing to address the far more stark gender disparity, but actually spend so much time fighting the "patriarchy"?

In all fairness, there is at least some logical basis for the difference in police shooting rates between men and women. For one men commit more violent crime. And then there's just some common sense differences. An officer could reasonably fear for his life if a 6'4, 250 pound man is charging him, with or without a weapon. I doubt he'd be able to convince a jury he was in mortal danger if a 5'1, 90 pound woman was charging him. Edit: I will stress I'm talking about an unarmed woman here. If you have a knife I don't care how small you are, you're a deadly threat if you advance toward someone in a threatening manner.

Since when is it allowed to look at demographics for who committs more violent crime?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785

a reply to: nmaben

Is a black vet or white vet more likely to go to jail for the same crime?

I am not sure.

Most studies I have seen suggest that blacks do get harsher penalties and sentences. However, that also say things such a criminal records may play a part in that.

In addition, it could be because in general blacks arrested and charged are poorer and can afford less legal services.

But I will take this at face value. The black is more likely to be arrrsyed, and we should try to solve that problem.

However, that is a drop in the bucket to the disparity between men and women in the criminal justice system.

And why do many on the left that sincerely want to solve racial disparities in law enforcement not only do nothing to address the far more stark gender disparity, but actually spend so much time fighting the "patriarchy"?

In all fairness, there is at least some logical basis for the difference in police shooting rates between men and women. For one men commit more violent crime. And then there's just some common sense differences. An officer could reasonably fear for his life if a 6'4, 250 pound man is charging him, with or without a weapon. I doubt he'd be able to convince a jury he was in mortal danger if a 5'1, 90 pound woman was charging him. Edit: I will stress I'm talking about an unarmed woman here. If you have a knife I don't care how small you are, you're a deadly threat if you advance toward someone in a threatening manner.

Since when is it allowed to look at demographics for who committs more violent crime?

I'm a sexist. Against my own gender.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Do you feel that men are unfairly targeted in arrests, convictions, use of lethal force?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bluesilver

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: bluesilver

originally posted by: Jersey Devil
a reply to: SudoNim

I completely understand Kaepernicks want to protest and respect his God given right to do so in this country. HOWEVER, everyone choosing to kneel during our National anthem and not recognize our flag during it has chosen the WRONG form of protest. Instead they should have been more like Dr King and organize, hold a peaceful rally, educate, be active to your concerns. But no, they took the 1 symbol, the 1 single thing that unites us all despite our differences, and unites us all as 1 AMERICANS and choose to disrespect that symbol and use it as a wedge to divide us rather than unite us under it. Whether they believe it or not they do disrespect those that have bled, fought and sacrificed for their damn right. Remember how proud you felt after 9/11 when we saw no race, no color, no difference? we were all 1, just Americans united proud to see that flag raised from the ashes. But no now they use that symbol to divide us. Again they have the right but didnt think it through and its doing the oposite of their intentions.... Or IS it???? lol did Soros organize this evil plan???? da da da dahhhhh....

Perhaps the point is that while you feel that you have a unified country, others do not. So, the way that echoes this most is by doing what they are doing.

This whole disrespecting the fallen keeps being brought up, but when you have actual serving and ex serving soldiers saying that they don't consider it an affront when they kneel, I'm not sure why you feel so right. The flag and anthem are symbols for justice and equality and freedom. They are not solely a military construct. Repeatedly saying it is an affront to the fallen is not just inaccurate, but it is just being inflammatory and based on untruths. As I said before, if serving and ex-serving military say they have no problem with it, I don't see how people (especially non-serving soldiers) can repeatedly say it is.

So they are protesting the ideals of justice, equality and freedom?

Seriously? You actually made a conscious decision to ask that question? You actually thought that was the point being made? You have literally just harpooned your own credibility of being able to have a grown up conversation in one sentence.

Ok, just for you. No, they are not protesting against those things, they are highlighting the fact they don't believe they have those things. Feel free to ask more questions....

It's called a leading question. Thanks for falling into that trap.

If they don't believe they have justice/equality/freedom, then they have displayed their ignorance. Thanks for playing.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: Xtrozero
The bottom line is you do not protest as a professional while you are working, and surly not while people pay to see you perform. You can protest all you want off the field. That is the real issue here...

Says who? Haven't you ever heard of a strike before?

Quick quiz: Do strikes happen on work premises, or just off the property?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Most of them are victims, just not of what they think. They've been brainwashed into thinking they're being held back by their race. Certain people need them to think that so they'll vote a certain way if you promise to help them.

It's the same scheme as a girl or guy who mentally abuses their partner into thinking they're not good enough to get somebody else so they have to stay with them.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

When did racism stop in the United States?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Other vets had to go around back and deal with segregation?

Did the war on drugs target black vets more than white for the same crimes, giving different sentencing structures?[]
edit on 26-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Do you feel that men are unfairly targeted in arrests, convictions, use of lethal force?

Yes.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Yes.

Why?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Yes.

Why?

Because the numbers bare it out.

They are 95 percent of police shootings, are far more likely to be convicted and sentenced to much longerr sentences than women who committ the same crimes, have worse conditions in prisons than women, have all forms of violence against them from police at much higher rates than women, and even are much less likely to win things like custody battles in court.

The numbers are staggering, and have much more disparity than any racial difference.
edit on 26-9-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I'd love to see your stats on all those claims ... but let's forgo that.

I think, based on your evidence, it's safe to say our society treats men differently than women.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

We will never purge humanity of racism, but it is neither systemic nor rampant in the USA.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

We will never purge humanity of racism, but it is neither systemic nor rampant in the USA.

Interesting claim.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Tactical threat assessment would be size and presumed skill.

If a woman was a 5'9" muay Thai trained triad member she would be consider a threat.

edit on 26-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

“I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it,” he said. “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

Lbj war on poverty.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I'd love to see your stats on all those claims ... but let's forgo that.

I think, based on your evidence, it's safe to say our society treats men differently than women.

I guess so, and much worse than any racial disparity.

So when will we see social justice for men?

Why is this no only ignored completely, but men are actually demonized as part of the patriarchy by many on the left?

Does this mean that the folks at blm, and those protesting in the NFL are selective in their social justice?

If so, why should we take them seriously?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

“I’ll tell you what’s at the bottom of it,” he said. “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”

Lbj war on poverty.

And yet wanting to change the policy decsions of the war on poverty is considered racist.

Quite an irony.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

By who? The media?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I'm not sure that any type of injustice is quantifiably "worse" than another but that's merely a side note.

It's not ignored completely. There are multiple studies on the sex difference in crime rates.

Your next "but men are actually demonized as part of the patriarchy" is just false generalization.

As far as the meaning of the word "patriarchy" though ... can you explain how or why it would include women?

In my opinion, the motivations of different BLM groups across the country are too varied for me to comment on.

As to those protesting in the NFL, it seems to me they are protesting what you're seeing as unfair ... they're just protesting a certain facet of the problem ... the one that involves their community. Like most humans do.

Some stand in solidarity with them on that issue.

Why should you take someone seriously? I can't answer that, only you can. "We" can take people seriously who are pointing to a real problem, i.e. that Black men are targeted, arrested, convicted and incarcerated at alarming rates.

You're admitting that's a problem from your larger demographic of "men" yes? Why wouldn't you take them seriously?

new topics

top topics

<< 44  45  46    48  49  50 >>

join