It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 44
<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: subfab
a reply to: Krazysh0t

for me, it is simply that kaepernick said:

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

source for kaepernick's statement regarding taking a knee

we don't live in a country that oppresses black people or any one else. we have laws in place that investigates and puts on trial any officer who may have committed a crime while performing their duties. if the laws are lacking then instead of protesting the national anthem we should work on making the laws more clear.

disrespecting the national anthem does not equal changing any police policy.

Our country absolutely oppresses minorities. There isn't even an argument about it. Sentencing guidelines that make crack equate to longer jail sentences than its powdered counterpart are a great piece of evidence for this. Or the fact that we set up a subsidized housing program that isolates minorities in inner cities, away from opportunities for employment and education, to be housed alongside felons and sex offenders.

Black people in the US have been crapped on, and exploited, for decades. All by the government that feeds them lip service in exchange for votes. How degrading must it be to have your vote bought with benefits rather than opportunities.

sentence guidelines regarding crack vs. powdered is a oppressive to minorities? i don't see it.
housing prices and what people can afford go hand in hand. again not oppressive to anyone.

Black people in the US have been crapped on, and exploited, for decades.

i don't get your point here. if you can give examples other than the hundreds of multi millionaire athletes, musicians, actors, politicians, doctors, lawyers, and businessmen of color i'd like to see them.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes
People who correlate the anthem with memories of loved ones they lost at war. The flag being the memory keepsake they have. You aren't going to sway me there, not one ounce. A lot of people reflect during the anthem.

Not sure what question or response you are answering to here. I asked you to name a protest that wouldn't piss people off because I can't think of any.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

a reply to: nmaben

Curious. What is the "right" venue for protest?

Probably one which isn't going to piss off some of the people you are trying to win over.

Which is? I can't think of a single protest in history that didn't make a bunch of people upset at the protesters.

This is a no win protest in my eyes. Everyone is right about their opinion because everyone has the right to do what they want and believe what they want.

That is always true about protesting.

People who correlate the anthem with memories of loved ones they lost at war. The flag being the memory keepsake they have. You aren't going to sway me there, not one ounce. A lot of people reflect during the anthem.

" A lot of people reflect during the anthem."

what about those who "reflect" on the injustices they feel TODAY. that's not allowed...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

a reply to: subfab

How does one bring attention to the lacking laws if you are putting bans on the type of protests people are allowed to do?

i never said "ban" anything.
to make change of the legal process you get together with the people who have the authority to draft up legislation and put that proposal up for a vote to make it into law.

And how successful regarding the issue Kapernick was bringing to attention has that been so far?

no change to legislation has happened and none is in the works that i know of.
do you have examples of legislation change that is a direct result from the athlete's protest?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Not really, but at least people are talking about it. That could lead to change. You never know. Better than people just griping about it in private. Though, you can thank Trump for making it a huge issue again. Most people had forgotten about Kapernick's initial protest a year ago.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The right venue, How about in front of the police department, your congressman's office, your Senator's office, the state capitol building, the state legislature, in front of whatever statue or monument you find distasteful. Not grandstanding for the television at a pro football game. reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Not really, but at least people are talking about it. That could lead to change. You never know. Better than people just griping about it in private. Though, you can thank Trump for making it a huge issue again. Most people had forgotten about Kapernick's initial protest a year ago.

this is exactly my point.
kneeling doesn't bring change.
protesting a flag doesn't bring change.

what does bring change?
- becoming active in your community.
- working with law makers to make legislation that is fair for all involved. this includes fairness to law enforcement and civilians.

so now we have the nation listening...... what now?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

What makes those places the right venue? Because you wouldn't have to pay attention to them then?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I never said that they were entitled to change and to have their protest be successful. I just argued they have the right to do it and that their idea makes sense because of the exposure it gives their issue. It's up to them to carry the issue further.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I never said that they were entitled to change and to have their protest be successful. I just argued they have the right to do it and that their idea makes sense because of the exposure it gives their issue. It's up to them to carry the issue further.

but the problem is that they aren't carrying the issue further.
these athletes have the means and the influence to impact their communities in positive ways. but instead they kneel during the national anthem.
they would have greater support if they did take the next step and role model the change they want to see in their communities.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Reply to Crazyshot: Because, fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it. That is where the power is concentrated. Legislation needs to be put forward in order to effect change. Conducting oneself in a disgusting disrespectful manner, will not win over people to your point of view.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

but the problem is that they aren't carrying the issue further.
these athletes have the means and the influence to impact their communities in positive ways. but instead they kneel during the national anthem.
they would have greater support if they did take the next step and role model the change they want to see in their communities.

Exactly. It's why I don't care about the issues they are presenting. Outside of kneeling during the Anthem, they aren't showing that they care enough to petition the government to take their grievances further. I just support their right to protest. I feel like they have some good points, but I don't think enough is being done to show their sincerity.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I gave specifics. You misunderstood me. Im not sure I have enough time to type things in ways that are so clear they cannot be misunderstood....

...but will point out that "housing prices" has nothing to do with project, row housing.

ETA: here, ill throw this out there:

There are significant racial disparities in sentencing decisions in the United States.1

Sentences imposed on Black males in the federal system are nearly 20 percent longer than those
imposed on white males convicted of similar crimes.

Crack and powder...same damned drug. Except the one the black people tend to use more often gets stiffer penalties.

www.aclu.org...

edit on 9/26/2017 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I see protesting as a means to get your message out to as many people as possible by putting it in front of them in as uncomfortable manner as possible. Getting people out of their comfort zones gets them talking about it. A protest in front of a state building would just be a random blurb on the nightly news and then nothing. If you are disgusted by their actions then they message worked. You are now talking about it.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That is what people spend $500 a ticket on: to have the players give their political message.

Nothing like a field full of people who limped through college to get their degrees in business management provide us with their exquisitely deep insights into the state of political affairs in the US.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

If you don't like it, you have the option to not buy a ticket. There are ways to express your dissatisfaction that I don't have a problem with.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

disgusting and disrespectful... really?? I wonder what your opinion on the Charlottesville protest is if knelling is so disgusting to you.

I thought it was quite respectful. I was glad to see the coaches and owners come together with their teams as well!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Yes you are right, I agree they're disgusting Ploy worked. When one acts in a disgusting, disrespectful, irritating manner, one gets noticed. These ball players, like all leftist community activists, have taken a page out of the book Rules for Radicals. The drawback to this is, they have lost me and many others forever. a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoxie

Curious. What is the "right" venue for protest?

Probably one which isn't going to piss off some of the people you are trying to win over.

Which is? I can't think of a single protest in history that didn't make a bunch of people upset at the protesters.

This is a no win protest in my eyes. Everyone is right about their opinion because everyone has the right to do what they want and believe what they want.

That is always true about protesting.

" A lot of people reflect during the anthem."

what about those who "reflect" on the injustices they feel TODAY. that's not allowed...

People don't see the correlation of a military exercise of the national anthem to kneeling for social justice.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: nmaben
These ball players, like all leftist community activists...

Are you aware that Jerry Jones, owner of the Dallas Cowpersons (that's their new gender-neutral name) is a Republican? He took a kneel with those Commie Pinkos too.

new topics

top topics

<< 41  42  43    45  46  47 >>

join