It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

They're not disrespecting the flag though. They're kneeling during the national anthem. In fact, according to the US Flag Code, it's officially disrespectful of the flag to print it on apparel (like college football uniforms, clothing, hats, and boots), to use it in any form of advertising, to carry the flag sideways (like they do when covering the field with massive US flags), and a lot more. (HERE's the official US Flag Code)

I listed quite a few of the commonly accepted things that are officially disrespectful of the flag in another thread (here's the post). I've even posted how the "All American" MMA fighter Chris Weidman wiped his nose with the flag after a fight (HERE). So where's all of the teeth gnashing over "disrespecting the flag" then?

Not to mention, I don't see the words "kneeling" or "bending down" in the list of officially disrespectful actions towards the flag. Of course, I've only skimmed the entire US Flag Code so feel free to point out the exact clause in it that they would be violating (even though they're kneeling for the anthem, not the flag but whatever).

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Gotta wonder why that mental dwarf decided that using this as a way to protest police brutality/BLM stuff was an appropriate method. I mean just look at what people are taking it as. If he had decided instead to wear a patch related to his cause or picket/civil disobedience, then maybe people would get it. So now here we are talking about disrespecting the flag and many people don't even know why he's doing it. Moronic. We are doomed as a species. Silly humans

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm not trying to force you to watch the games and if you don't as a protest to these people protesting then YOU aren't the people I'm talking to. So I think you missed my point if you are getting defensive here. Yes there are people calling for them to be fired or fined. The idiot President being one of them. Those are the people I'm addressing. If you can just not watch in private then I don't have a problem with you. I'm not expecting you to agree with the issue they are trying to bring to light or even that they are doing it.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Wow. I didn't know that about disrespect and the flag. Clearly most of the people complaining didn't either.

link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Disrespect the flag? Disrespect the Anthem? I don't know........its taken as a sign of disrespect of national symbols I suppose. How would someone in the UK react if someone were to sit down and shoot the bird when the Brits are singing their National Anthem and raising their flag? That would probably be taken as a disrespectful.

link   
a reply to: Mike.Ockizard

If you don't know why he is protesting and are complaining about it nonetheless, that is YOUR fault not his.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

NO, nonsense..if you feel disrespect your taking it on yourself.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: TonyS

They're not disrespecting the flag though. They're kneeling during the national anthem. In fact, according to the US Flag Code, it's officially disrespectful of the flag to print it on apparel (like college football uniforms, clothing, hats, and boots), to use it in any form of advertising, to carry the flag sideways (like they do when covering the field with massive US flags), and a lot more. (HERE's the official US Flag Code)

I listed quite a few of the commonly accepted things that are officially disrespectful of the flag in another thread (here's the post). I've even posted how the "All American" MMA fighter Chris Weidman wiped his nose with the flag after a fight (HERE). So where's all of the teeth gnashing over "disrespecting the flag" then?

Not to mention, I don't see the words "kneeling" or "bending down" in the list of officially disrespectful actions towards the flag. Of course, I've only skimmed the entire US Flag Code so feel free to point out the exact clause in it that they would be violating (even though they're kneeling for the anthem, not the flag but whatever).

c'mon...we all know this here......what is REALLY being said is, you disrespect the flag only if you are a minority or a liberal....they should be happy that white conservative Christians allow them any freedoms at all
edit on 25-9-2017 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike.Ockizard

And the fact that people are more focused on the protest than the message is his fault how? When he first started protesting Kaepernick was quite vocal about his message. Those he was trying to reach with his message however decided to make it about the protest itself. I wonder why? Could it quite possibly be due to the fact that his grievances actually have some merit but to admit as such would mean that A.) Institutionalized racism is still alive and well in this country and B.) Those in power have been using this racism to exert greater authority over at least part, if not all, of the population.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

are giving none of it back to the communities

How the hell do you know what NFL players do with their money or charitable works they do?
I expect to see proof of what you are saying, I can finds a lot of info with a simple google search on charitable works and foundations by NFL players.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Thinking these athletes are protesting the flag is like thinking Rosa Parks was protesting public transportation.

It isn't about the flag or whatever symbol you believe they're standing against, it's about the treatment of one segment of society by another. If anything, the simple act of protesting shows that they still have enough faith in their flag and country to believe it can listen to them and change for the better.

I wouldn't start worrying about anti-Americanism until the protests stop, and everyone has given up on their country listening to them and addressing their grievances.

That's the point at which you should worry.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I endorse their right to protest and the results for protesting. I would be fired if I protesting my job and watching millionaire privileged athletes making a political statement during a period where normal hard working Americans just wanna be entertained and take a break from real life is reasonable.

I don't want these player to shut up or not have a voice but the act of kneeling during the national anthem is disrespectful to a lot of people and in my opinion pushes away the people they want to convince to see their point of view.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

A lot of these millionaires are the first people in their family to go to college....

youtu.be...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I didn't know either until this whole fake scandal erupted. So I decided to check the Flag Code before getting too worked up by all of the fake outrage.

Then again, I don't run around in US flag-themed clothes while claiming that it's unpatriotic to not stand & salute the anthem & the flag. I've always considered "patriotism" to be more about making sure that all Americans have equal rights, have equal civic responsibilities, have access to healthcare, access to education, access to food, rooves over their heads, etc. What's the point in protecting our borders if the people inside of those borders are still suffering and/or oppressed?

Initially I expected them to already know about the flag code since they're the ones who're always trying to shove the flag, anthem, and pledge of allegiance down people's throats. But now I'm suspecting that it's just another talking point to them. There are quite a few pictures of Sarah Palin in her US flag themed boots. Should there be a boycott against her since that's officially against the flag code, as well?
edit on 25-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
One of the best parts of the 1st Amendment is it allows individuals and groups to show themselves and what they stand for.

Lately, we've really seen who's who and what they like and want and what they hate.

The NFL exposures are truly fantastic on more than one level !!

Pot meet kettle

link   
a reply to: luthier

What's your point? I was the first in my family to go to college

link   
What I'm finding so hilarious about all this fake internet outrage (I watched football in a packed bar yesterday and no one gave a # about this), is the fact that the same people that just spent weeks defending the Confederacy and its symbol and peoples right to brandish the Nazi flag, actual combatants of the US Military, are the ones pissed because this dishonors veterans.

How these people don't see that's world class hypocrisy is beyond me.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

Just disproving your privileged millionaire argument. Maybe your bitter they have millions and pulled themselves up from the sewers to get there?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So there I am changing my trash cans. A group of painters, average Joe's talking about this very thing. My ears perked up and I began to listen...regardless of the NFL and MSM making a big deal of this and us on ATS. Real hard working Americans don't really give a #. They were making fun of how the NFL is making a big deal out of this.

The government is f#ing us all. Doesn't matter if your making 51k or 12k. We all being f#ed equally as hard. So while the MSM is making this a big deal and I bet they will talk about this all day while letting what needs to be talked about and shared going under the radar. There's a method to their madness and it's working.

What are they not telling us? That's what should be important.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
What I'm finding so hilarious about all this fake internet outrage (I watched football in a packed bar yesterday and no one gave a # about this), is the fact that the same people that just spent weeks defending the Confederacy and its symbol and peoples right to brandish the Nazi flag, actual combatants of the US Military, are the ones pissed because this dishonors veterans.

How these people don't see that's world class hypocrisy is beyond me.

Did every single individual in that bar stand for the National Anthem?

Of course not. Disgraceful and disrespectful cowards....
/s

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join