It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Because when it comes to American societal events, I'm certainly concerned about the popularity of athletes. (I'm most definitely not)

I personally have more important things to do than worry about then the NFL, like trying to figure out what kind of cocktail I want on Friday and figuring out at what place I want to dine out. These are serious priorities.

So you're telling me that random NFL celebrities don't actually affect your personal life - in any way - whatsoever?

GIIIIIIRL shut, UP!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
More fake outrage for something ordinarily, people honestly don't pay much attention to.

Also the athletes are not "disrespecting" our flag, and certainly not soldiers who have served. That's the last thing in their mind. People just paint it that way so they have a reason to act so enraged about it. Just because -you- interpret it that way doesn't make it true. It's also pretty funny how this has been a thing.. but not much of one, especially over the last year, but now since Trump has mentioned it.. it's a HUUUGE deal. People burning hats.. selling season tickets. It's comedy gold.

"I'm going to burn a hat I already paid for to stick it to the man!"

It's pretty funny.

I never understood that stuff (burning jerseys, burning posters, crushing "offensive" cds, etc). I used to run my own record label & I would've been happy if people did that. Because I sure wasn't giving our merchandise away for free lol. So if people wanted to trash it after they bought it, then more power to them. Maybe they'd regret it and then buy a 2nd one?

We sold cds out of the trunk, passed out demos, and all of that. Part of my pitch when trying to get people to listen to our music was "If you don't like the songs, you can always throw this cd like a frisbee. Just chuck it!". I preferred that people to liked it, but as long as they bought it, we got what we wanted ($$$).

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: fleabit
More fake outrage for something ordinarily, people honestly don't pay much attention to.

Also the athletes are not "disrespecting" our flag, and certainly not soldiers who have served. That's the last thing in their mind. People just paint it that way so they have a reason to act so enraged about it. Just because -you- interpret it that way doesn't make it true. It's also pretty funny how this has been a thing.. but not much of one, especially over the last year, but now since Trump has mentioned it.. it's a HUUUGE deal. People burning hats.. selling season tickets. It's comedy gold.

"I'm going to burn a hat I already paid for to stick it to the man!"

It's pretty funny.

I never understood that stuff (burning jerseys, burning posters, crushing "offensive" cds, etc). I used to run my own record label & I would've been happy if people did that. Because I sure wasn't giving our merchandise away for free lol. So if people wanted to trash it after they bought it, then more power to them. Maybe they'd regret it and then buy a 2nd one?

We sold cds out of the trunk, passed out demos, and all of that. Part of my pitch when trying to get people to listen to our music was "If you don't like the songs, you can always throw this cd like a frisbee. Just chuck it!". I preferred that people to liked it, but as long as they bought it, we got what we wanted ($$$).

It's just a knee-jerk reaction, I would imagine.

I'm nearly positive these #boycottNFL folks will still be having their yearly SuperBowl parties, will still rally on about their fantasy football, and will still buy their children their favorite athletes jersey.

Or maybe not, not like I care - it's their freedom. But destroying after the fact of paying for it.... yeah, I'm not sure.

Seems an even dumber way of protesting than these NFL players did, lol.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
What I'm finding so hilarious about all this fake internet outrage (I watched football in a packed bar yesterday and no one gave a # about this), is the fact that the same people that just spent weeks defending the Confederacy and its symbol and peoples right to brandish the Nazi flag, actual combatants of the US Military, are the ones pissed because this dishonors veterans.

How these people don't see that's world class hypocrisy is beyond me.

Thank you for your input. This says it all in a nutshell.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
I think the two teams performing the protest in London would have pissed them off. Otherwise, I agree with you.

Perhaps. It's in bad form but we've had something similar to it previously.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

are giving none of it back to the communities

How the hell do you know what NFL players do with their money or charitable works they do?
I expect to see proof of what you are saying, I can finds a lot of info with a simple google search on charitable works and foundations by NFL players.

So I decided to take your advice. I used your tool google. Two searches and you'll see why they should shut their mouths. I don't give a crap about the individual player...they're a whole. They're the NFL.

Search one. How much does the NFL make?

Search two. How much does the NFL donate?

That's why they should shut the hell up and play football. We don't pay them for their opinion. Only punishing their bodies.

I did see how the players do give back. How they do it is on them. But if they want to kneel, sit, stand or take a crap in protest. Then they'll be looked at as a whole. It's what we are doing. Blaming groups over the actions of individuals. They're no different.
edit on 25-9-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: silly little typos

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

So you're telling me that random NFL celebrities don't actually affect your personal life - in any way - whatsoever?

GIIIIIIRL shut, UP!

I know! Right? I'm such a Keeping up with the Kardashians bitch it's not even funny. Give me some Housewives too.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I'm nearly positive these #boycottNFL folks will still be having their yearly SuperBowl parties...

To be fair, Super Bowl has now become a meaningless holiday to eat and drink to excess like those other two in November and December.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I wasn't going to comment but I feel I have to. First understand what the flag represents. It represents a nation who has made many mistakes along the way but has all ways tried to better itself and yes even the world. Do to the US struggles many wrongs such as slavery was eradicated in the west. Are struggles along the way have provided freedoms unheard of since the dawn of man.

Thus flag represents the country that is a beacon of hope and prosperity to many. This is evident by the number of people that leave their country for a new chance and a new life. Then there is the fact that your disrespecting all the people that fought and died to give you those freedoms . The flag also represents unity American's come from all over the world coming here to help forge a great nation. To them the flag represents freedom from oppression and death. It is a living symbol of the nation's law: the Constitution of the United States and the Bill of Rights.

This flag as contrary to what anti American's would have you believe means something it represents the sacrifices and the struggle of many it was created in freedom. And made its first appearance in a battle for human liberty. By disrespecting the flag your merely showing you have no morals and which to stand. And to you that freedom and liberty is not something that should be fought for.

OK rant over last thing I'll say is people have a right to disrespect their country and the people that died to defend it but it doesn't make it right. Their are better ways to get a point across for example if a football player wants to help a cause there is donating money. Spending time working with the police and neighborhoods to bring them together. Separating and making the police evil will only make things worse.

edit on 9/25/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: lostbook
Not to derail this thread and change subjects but I think Trump does these kind of things keep the focus from his ongoing Russia probe.

...so he's trying to keep the country from being bored to tears as that probe drags on day after day, week after week, month after month and still has yet to find even a single compelling piece of information towards its stated purpose?

That's not what I'm saying...Trump is turning this whole thing into an issue because it gets the focus off him and his issues, including the Russia probe. He did the same thing during the campaign by keeping the focus on his opponents, thus, keeping them on defense while he plays offense.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

The protesting is so watered down anyways. Multiple motives and a lot of following.

Validity is dropping rapidly.

I feel like the protest suddenly became extremely critical, relevant, and valid to all Americans who care about their freedoms.

More like critical, relevant and valid to false narratives.

It will be all bandwagon from here on out.

False? Ha. No.

Government officials need to keep their opinions to themselves with regard to free speech when they have the opinion that people should be punished for exercising their rights.

What does the government have to do with folks protesting to false narratives?

Referring to the multiple protest motives.

Nothing. That's why Trump should keep his mouth shut on this.

You said this...

Government officials need to keep their opinions to themselves with regard to free speech when they have the opinion that people should be punished for exercising their rights.

Free speech that they should be spouting off on their own time, and not to publicly disrespect the nation.

What's wrong with calling that out? It's not like he signed an EO, it was an opinion and a good one.

He has no time of his own. He's POTUS 24/7/365.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ansuzrune
What did the kneeling start for? Because black men who were criminals resisted arrest or actually threatened an officer of the law. It started in Ferguson Missouri.

I was in Eastern Europe when Ferguson happened. It was all over the news. I remember talking to an bunch of Eastern Euros about it and most were like "WTF is wrong with those people, you won't change anything positively by tearing down and setting fire to your own city".

Amazing how people "get it" when they're not brainwashed victims of the American MSM.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
First to start, I'm a veteran. I served in the US Army from 2003 to 2006 and spent time deployed in Iraq. So I've fought for the flag, defended it, and understand its meaning very well. So don't try to pull any crap about me not understanding what the flag stands for.

I'm appalled at so called free speech advocates getting all bent out-of-shape over NFL players protesting the National Anthem by kneeling during it. Saying these players should be fired or fined for their actions. Um. What? For one, these are the same people who complain about conservative speakers having their first amendment rights violated for being banned from speaking engagements. Do they not see the hypocrisy of demanding other people do or say things they want them to?

Plus, there is no law saying you have to honor the National Anthem or the flag. You don't have to salute or put your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance either. Respecting the flag is a personal choice you make when you see it. Requiring respect is authoritarian to the core.

This action is also a form of protest. Which is another right covered by the First Amendment. You can't complain about it being violent because they are just kneeling and not doing anything else.

The founding fathers fought and died to found a country where a citizen can protest their problems with society or government without fear of reprisal (that's what the flag stands for btw). Yet there are American citizens trying to have these players reprimanded because they don't want to blindly worship the flag or country. You may not agree with their cause, but you damn sure don't have the right to take away their ability to protest the flag and ironically are dishonoring the VERY flag you are trying to defend with your actions.

As an Army veteran, my opinion is that blindly worshiping the flag is a better way of showing you don't know what the flag stands for or means.

I respect people's rights to protest, including NFL players. I also understand the reason they are protesting, i.e. police brutality.

But, today while I was watching Democracy Now, I couldn't help but feel that much of the media controversy erupting right now is a big distraction from something else going on. Does anybody else feel that way on here? I saw a similar concern posted on Reddit.

Now, that doesn't mean NFL players are doing something wrong, nor that what they are protesting isn't real.

edit on 25-9-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

I think you are wrong. You can say whatever you wish outside of physical threats (as long as you don't hold a government office). Trump cannot.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
But, today while I was watching Democracy Now, I couldn't help but feel that much of the media controversy erupting right now is a big distraction from something else going on. Does anybody else feel that way?

Now, that doesn't mean NFL players are doing something wrong, nor that what they are protesting isn't real.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

The protesting is so watered down anyways. Multiple motives and a lot of following.

Validity is dropping rapidly.

I feel like the protest suddenly became extremely critical, relevant, and valid to all Americans who care about their freedoms.

More like critical, relevant and valid to false narratives.

It will be all bandwagon from here on out.

False? Ha. No.

What does the government have to do with folks protesting to false narratives?

Referring to the multiple protest motives.

Nothing. That's why Trump should keep his mouth shut on this.

You said this...

Free speech that they should be spouting off on their own time, and not to publicly disrespect the nation.

What's wrong with calling that out? It's not like he signed an EO, it was an opinion and a good one.

He has no time of his own. He's POTUS 24/7/365.

They, meaning the players. Are you confused with your own post or mine.

Oh well, doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

a reply to: MisterMcKill

Eh, if Hannity can be used as a source, I guess CNN can be, too:

In fact, in 2016 the NFL made clear that players were not required to stand for the anthem.

"Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the national anthem," the NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said last year after 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's protests gained attention.

Link

Apparently, the regulated requirement was removed for the 2017 edition of the rules.

It is actually up for debate. The rule is in the bylaws, which are not made public. And I could care less, honestly. All I am saying is that players are paid to follow a certain set of rules, and they choose to do so because they get paid. The rules of a sports league may change at any time. I wish I could not do my job because some cop murdered somebody unjustly. The point is that these people are damaging their own league. It is an embarrassment to the NFL and it will result in a loss of revenue. I do not go to work to protest. Do you?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: kyleplatinum

I did misunderstand your post.

But, still, the players cannot be forced to stand for the National Anthem as long as some states in the NFL deem it illegal to make policies forcing them to do so.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   
DP
edit on 9/25/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill

a reply to: MisterMcKill

Eh, if Hannity can be used as a source, I guess CNN can be, too:

In fact, in 2016 the NFL made clear that players were not required to stand for the anthem.

"Players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the national anthem," the NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said last year after 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick's protests gained attention.

Link

Apparently, the regulated requirement was removed for the 2017 edition of the rules.

It is actually up for debate. The rule is in the bylaws, which are not made public. And I could care less, honestly. All I am saying is that players are paid to follow a certain set of rules, and they choose to do so because they get paid. The rules of a sports league may change at any time. I wish I could not do my job because some cop murdered somebody unjustly. The point is that these people are damaging their own league. It is an embarrassment to the NFL and it will result in a loss of revenue. I do not go to work to protest. Do you?

Again, some states make it illegal for employers to make policies and rules that force employees to adhere to certain political practices. No 'national' league could ever lawfully do so and if they did, they sure couldn't enforce those policies/rules.

I work for myself, so I do not go to work to protest...per se. If I want to, I can though.

ETA: Also, it could be that these protests increase lost revenue, too. I would be more likely to watch a game now that the protests are in response to the the federal government's infringement on Constitutional rights.

Probably not though because football is totally boring. But I would maybe watch the start of a game because of it.

edit on 9/25/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join