It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

As an owner of the Federalist Papers I'm sure you are also aware that they were written before Francis Scott Key rewrote a British Drinking song into what is now the National Anthem.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Incorrect...key wrote a poem, not a song..

Please don’t disagree with me on matters of history...

You are outgunned.

-Chris

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I guess the clickbait commentators forgot to mention that when giving their weekly rants against the players? Because I've seen a few people saying similar things, even though it's simply not true.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

First off, you are the one disagreeing with me. Not the other way around. Second off, you are splitting hairs here. The end result of the song is that he wrote it while locked up in a British ship off the port of Baltimore during the War of 1812 and later it was placed over top of the melody to a British drinking song.

Regardless, your semantics point is irrelevant. Even the Defence of Fort M'Henry was written after the Federalist Papers were written. Furthermore, the National Anthem wasn't recognized as such until 1889 by the US Navy.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
From my perspective, all the different protests regarding immigration, BLM, the $15 minimum wage, gay rights, etc., are not serving to educate and unify but, rather, to further divide our country.

We are descending into soft anarchy because everyone thinks the US is Burger King.

All these disparate groups want it their way, right away. That is not how society works.

Morgan Freeman was asked by Mike Wallace how we can stop racism.

His reply? "Stop talking about it."

Stop using divisive language to describe people.

When we stop using all labels, they lose their power to offend.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Naturally. All part of the clickbait way. Disregard key information that they know their readers won't verify even if the readers should know better all to sell their deranged message.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Tom Brady

"Yeah, I certainly disagree with what (Trump) said. I thought it was just divisive," he told "Kirk and Callahan" on Boston's WEEI Monday in his most extensive comments on the subject.

Brady -- who locked arms with teammates during the national anthem on Sunday -- continued, "Like I said, I just want to support my teammates. I am never one to say, 'Oh, that is wrong. That is right.' I do believe in what I believe in. I believe in bringing people together and respect and love and trust. Those are the values that my parents instilled in me. That is how I try and live every day."

Brady also told "Kirk and Callahan" that he thinks "everyone has the right to do whatever they want to do. If you don't agree, that is fine. You can voice your disagreement, I think that is great. It's part of our democracy. As long as it is done in a peaceful, respectful way, that is what our country has been all about."

He locked arms but he stood. Why do you think that is?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   
In the same vein, criticizing and mocking them is honoring what your founding fathers fought for.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

No one is telling those people they are being unamerican though.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I could be wrong but Isn't that what you're trying to do?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
From the OP:

As an Army veteran, my opinion is that blindly worshiping the flag is a better way of showing you don't know what the flag stands for or means.

I see nothing in that sentence about calling people complaining about the protesting as unamerican. Nice try though, but you should spend more time reading my posts.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Thank you for your service.

You may not agree with their cause, but you damn sure don't have the right to take away their ability to protest the flag and ironically are dishonoring the VERY flag you are trying to defend with your actions.

Its my guess that at the core of the uproar is the fact that many people are insulted by the fact that these kneelers use the "forum" of nationally televised football games to put their "protest" in the face of the attendees and viewers on TV. They disrespect the flag, but also they "broadcast" their protest into the faces of the viewers who have absolutely no control over the issue they are protesting. It's as if they are putting their protest and complaint into the faces of the audience, or are protesting the audience itself! As a result of the fact that the people into who's face they make a protest having no control or say-so over the issue they are protesting, the viewers take the protest personally! And, in a sense, it is a personal insult. If these people have a problem with the criminal justice system, they should take their complaint to the Government's that oversee the criminal justice system.

The rest of "us" have no control over the criminal justice system OR the Government that oversees it and we never will! Our only form of interaction with the Criminal Justice system is AVOIDING ANY CONTACT WITH IT!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I could be wrong but Isn't that what you're trying to do?

LOL. It only counts if your on her team.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Protesting works by forcing itself into your face. How can protesting get its message across if no one sees it being done? In order for it to work, it needs to take you out of your comfort zone. Make you see things that upset you or force you to do things that inconvenience you (like blocking traffic).

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: ConscienceZombie
It's not the kneeling that people have a problem with. These athletes makes way more money then they should and are giving none of it back to the communities who are suffering while they live beyond the means of normal man. Fight for equality but don't whine for it. This is attention seeking behavior and nothing more...none of them will do the right thing and help make this world better. They'll just kneel like cowards.

What? Tons of athletes have personal charities and do community work. Why are you making stuff up?

Politics and sports...next it will be our children's cartoons..."Today Dora visits the White House. Up next. Diago gets deported. See why that's bad on this all new episode." That's where we are heading...right down the toilet...if there's water.

Children's entertainment has already been corrupted. Example[/q uote]

I worded it wrong and spoke out of turn. Thanks for the correction. But I bet what they give is little to nothing compared to how much they make. But then again i could be wrong.

Omg...that's what's under my bed... see shes now b and eing peoples homes. That book has five stars. I wonder how many people in that publishing company flooded that book with five stars to give it five stars. Because I don't believe that...it can't be true... I refuse to believe that book is making money.
edit on 25-9-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: I can

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Ill ask the same question here?
Why do we stand during the anthem? Respect.. When you dont it is disrespect period.

The flag stands for all fallen Americans not just military.

It even stands for the black people shot by police so why protest it and not the police?

It is disrespectful to alot of us. Im sry you guys cant understand that what they are doing is disrespectful to guys like me.

I'm sure alllllllll of you folks "upset," over this make sure to stand up in your own homes each and every time you hear the National Anthem.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

Heh. I know right? How can you read something like that to your children? No child likes hearing about politics and indoctrinating your child with partisan bs is just evil.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
One of the best parts of the 1st Amendment is it allows individuals and groups to show themselves and what they stand for.

Lately, we've really seen who's who and what they like and want and what they hate.

The NFL exposures are truly fantastic on more than one level !!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

How does protesting work if its entirely misdirected? Football fans aren't the cops shooting black people. The cops are apparently in collusion with the Municipalities or County/State Governments for whom they work!

I hate my water bill so I block traffic? No, I go picket City Hall! Its picked up on TV and attention is drawn to the corrupt residents of City Hall! Pretty soon, more people join me in picketing City Hall because they've been cheated on their water bills.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

not getting the point is always an option, but to miss it by this much really takes effort.

Protesting is fine. Even having millionaires who get paid to play football protest about being "oppressed". But the people who watch NFL football, don't want political bull# to interfere with their football. And those same people are angry and likely just won't be watching any football. So in the end, the NFL will realize that even if they believe they occupy the moral high ground, it's their $ that will be hurt, and it's all about the $ with those folks.

Sure some say to fire them or fine them, and I'm sure once the Tr-Hators are done embellishing what Trump said, he will have called for the execution of all players who don't respect the flag. But they are venting anger, since there really isn't anybody who seems to care that a big portion of the viewing audience has had enough.

So in conclusion, they all have the right to do whatever they wish, just as all the people who would otherwise go to games, watch games, buy merchandise, or give two #s about the NFL, have the right to ignore the NFL completely, and likely will.

Try not to get so angry, it's just a game.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join