It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kneeling during the anthem is honoring what our founding fathers fought for

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+97 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
First to start, I'm a veteran. I served in the US Army from 2003 to 2006 and spent time deployed in Iraq. So I've fought for the flag, defended it, and understand its meaning very well. So don't try to pull any crap about me not understanding what the flag stands for.

I'm appalled at so called free speech advocates getting all bent out-of-shape over NFL players protesting the National Anthem by kneeling during it. Saying these players should be fired or fined for their actions. Um. What? For one, these are the same people who complain about conservative speakers having their first amendment rights violated for being banned from speaking engagements. Do they not see the hypocrisy of demanding other people do or say things they want them to?

Plus, there is no law saying you have to honor the National Anthem or the flag. You don't have to salute or put your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance either. Respecting the flag is a personal choice you make when you see it. Requiring respect is authoritarian to the core.

This action is also a form of protest. Which is another right covered by the First Amendment. You can't complain about it being violent because they are just kneeling and not doing anything else.

The founding fathers fought and died to found a country where a citizen can protest their problems with society or government without fear of reprisal (that's what the flag stands for btw). Yet there are American citizens trying to have these players reprimanded because they don't want to blindly worship the flag or country. You may not agree with their cause, but you damn sure don't have the right to take away their ability to protest the flag and ironically are dishonoring the VERY flag you are trying to defend with your actions.

As an Army veteran, my opinion is that blindly worshiping the flag is a better way of showing you don't know what the flag stands for or means.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+32 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Most vets Ive spoken to have echoed the same - something along the lines of - " Id never kneel, but I fought to protect all brothers and sisters of this nations right to kneel when they damn well please"

+32 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Being brainwashed with the pledge of allegiance from a young age will do this to people.

It’s the equivalent of a religion being indoctrinated into a child’s mind from birth.
I include Islam in that for all the smart arses that were about to star whore because of my Faith.

At the end of the day, if you place a piece of fabric, or a chant before Humanity, you’re a weirdo of the highest degree.

Now all the armchair pundits will chastise you or deny that you served, because they have nothing else to fall back on in their brainwashed states.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Thank you for your service, and your thoughtful input.

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It's hilarious watching idiots go berserk when people kneel during the anthem, almost as funny as the idiots that started crying when the flag got burned

Nationalism will get you killed, probably violently, and that's no problem if your eyes are all hazy for your country (on the U.S. model, it stands for nothing more than dollars and conquest for the few anyway), but the other problem is that it also gets innocent people killed.

To those who understand living with respect to others, no matter where on the globe they come from, it means so much more than a stupid anthem or symbol ever will

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I don't think anyone has a problem with players protesting, as you say, it's their right as Americans.
But at the same time many Americans feel that the flag is a symbol of those rights and showing what many believe is disrespect toward the flag is not the right approach.

I would have taken the players gathering at mid field right after the anthem to raise awareness of their cause with much more enthusiasm.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: bknapple32

Exactly. The people who actually DO know what the flag stands for know that this action is demonstrating the very thing our founding fathers fought for. You don't have to agree with their reasoning, but you are in the wrong if you are telling them they are disrespecting the flag.

+14 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
this is the problem with trump, he doesn't have a clue as to the CONCEPT behind the national anthem....Colin Kaepernick's mother said publicly, "if trump is calling my son a "son-of-a-bitch", what is trump calling me?" .....trump didn't say anything about tom brady NOT COMING to the white house after his super bowl win, but stephen curry and the warriors were put down by trump after golden state won the NBA championship....

edit on 25-9-2017 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The flag represents our rights. It isn't our rights. If you get hung up on the flag as a symbol too much where kneeling instead of honoring it gets you mad you are missing the forest for the trees as to what that flag represents.

In order to protest effectively it requires breaking the norms and taking people out of their comfort zones. This is why protest zones are silly because they sequester protesters away so they aren't disruptive, which kills the whole effort of protesting in the first place.

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Ill ask the same question here?
Why do we stand during the anthem? Respect.. When you dont it is disrespect period.

The flag stands for all fallen Americans not just military.

It even stands for the black people shot by police so why protest it and not the police?

It is disrespectful to alot of us. Im sry you guys cant understand that what they are doing is disrespectful to guys like me.

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Sounds like a silly reason. Do it or else it is disrespectful. Why? You don't even sound like you know why we should respect it with that reasoning you gave me. I'm sorry, I don't respect things just because I should be respectful. Respect is earned.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Exactly. The people who actually DO know what the flag stands for know that this action is demonstrating the very thing our founding fathers fought for. You don't have to agree with their reasoning, but you are in the wrong if you are telling them they are disrespecting the flag.

The flag only stands for what you thimk it stands for? I think it stands for everything. You sure are pampas.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Sounds like a silly reason. Do it or else it is disrespectful. Why? You don't even sound like you know why we should respect it with that reasoning you gave me.

Why do we stand at all for it?

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Well if you say so.
But people sure get bent out of shape over confederate flags.

And weather people agree with you or me is kind of irrelevant.
This protest is doing nothing to unite the nation to find a solution. Quite the opposite is happening.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Sounds like a silly reason. Do it or else it is disrespectful. Why? You don't even sound like you know why we should respect it with that reasoning you gave me.

Say you find yourself in another country at a sporting event and they play their national anthem. are you going to stand? If so why?

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Don't assume that some of these people want the football players and their sympathizers to have First Amendment rights in the first place. Remember how the conservative hero Cliven Bundy said he wondered if black Americans were better off as slaves?

And here's a link with 10 recent & prominent conservatives who've suggested that slavery was a good thing for black people:

Ten conservatives who have praised slavery

Slaves had no constitutional rights, were only desired for their labor, and were to be seen but not heard. Sound familiar?

+16 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I always kind of looked down on pro sports players as a bunch of overpaid "entertainers".

But this thing with Trump has made my respect grow for a lot of them. I'm proud that people aren't bending to the will of our "president" trying to force false patriotism on them.

Yesterday I saw a bunch of football players become more powerful and human than the president of the United States..

And I also saw the teeth gnashing and wailing from Trump supporters..

Which pleased me greatly.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

The flag only stands for what you thimk it stands for? I think it stands for everything. You sure are pampas.

Pampas? Anyways. Yes. That is what the flag stands for. Securing the rights of the every man including the right to speak your grievances. The right to not have to blindly worship the government is also included.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Xavier Rhodes is the best corner in football. He owned Mike Evans yesterday. Vikings are looking really good.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Well if you say so.
But people sure get bent out of shape over confederate flags.

Maybe because the confederate flag represents a literal rebellion against our country. It represents treason basically.

And weather people agree with you or me is kind of irrelevant.
This protest is doing nothing to unite the nation to find a solution. Quite the opposite is happening.

Controversial protests are the best kind because it gets people talking about the issue. They aren't meant to unite. They are meant to spur discussion and action.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join