It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You claim to want change, but you can't even turn off a football game?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: badw0lf
so someone redlined to a life of poverty, causing them to statistically more prone to violent crime, shoud just be ingored by the law and in order to get the message out sickeningly wealthy ball fondlers will take a knee during the anthem... yeah?

#don'tkillcrooks is the new rage huh.

so your position is that police killings of unarmed black citizens is always justified, because they're all crooks, even when they've not been charged with a crime, or when the crime is nonviolent? you're okay with cops handing out death penalties to black people on the streets?

nope. comprehension sometime?

if in the proceeds of a violent crime, or acting threateingly and refusing a lawful instruction, the maybe... not what we see though hey.. time for riots usually.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I used to watch every week when I was a surveyor. It was fun to mess around with the other guys on the crew. Once I went and got Saints stickers and put them on all the Cowgirls fans hardhats when nobody was looking. Their reaction when they finally noticed still makes me chuckle.

I watched one of the pre game shows yesterday. It's the first NFL event I've watched in a few years now. All the guys talked about was what a disgrace it was for trump to disrespect american citizens and blah blah all serious and somber like.... So, I promptly changed stations.

Football was bad enough when they started imposing fines for players making awesome tackles or really knocking the hell out of someone on the field. Now that they want to spew their political opinions on the field as well, it makes me feel like I'm totally dumping a trash can into my head.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

See yall at the race wars

Wasn't that a line from the game "Racist aliens syphened my neighbors IV"?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ADSE255

See yall at the race wars

Wasn't that a line from the game "Racist aliens syphened my neighbors IV"?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

That looks exactly like a Subway rush Monday at high noon!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Galacticsun

I wonder how long they can afford to pay big salary's when advertisers remove their ads,then to buy a ticket i cheap seats at a game would be about 7k per ticket,see how popular they are then,then they would have to get real jobs

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

originally posted by: Wookiep
a reply to: fiverx313

That's bs. Prove it? Oh yeah you can't. As always.

I can!

This website here track police shootings by all different factors, race, gender etc... its pretty cool

www.washingtonpost.com...

It states as of this year there have been 721 people shot and killed by police this year

323 of them were white
164 were black
112 were hispanic
24 other non-white

Lets add up those totals shall we?

323 white vs a total of 300 non-white..

Ahh.. but you yourself will probably say "SEE!! MORE WHITE PEOPLE GET SHOT! THERE ISNT A RACE PROBLEM!"

Wrong..

The US Population as shown here
en.wikipedia.org...

is..
72.4% white
12.6% black
15% other

So as I did above
72.4% white
27.6% not white

Now here is the fun part where I prove what you didnt think I could prove...

Whites make up 51.8% of the shootings per the stats above
Non whites make up 48.2% of the shootings per the stats above..

Wait a minute...

Our population is only made up of 27.6% non-white people yet... they account for 48.2% of those killed by police? ALMOST TWICE THE PERCENTAGE OF THEIR POPULATION!!

non white citizens are killed by police at almost twice the rate.

You saw it right there.

Bazingaa!

Wheres my medal>?>

Hold up.

I see what you did there.

Apart from the fact that correlation does not mean causation (anyone quoting statistics should know that), you just lumped all non white people together when trying to make a point about black people getting shot more. You don't think that's a tad bit racist towards the non blacks in the non white catagory?

Are you now somehow trying to imply that the Asians should stand with the blacks because they are non white even though most sane and rational people would argue that most Asians up hold a standard of respect that is widely admired the world over?

Is it not about time that you started actually looking at the problem for what it is? Mainly people with your attitude towards the problem who seem incapable of telling a community that instead of blaming things on the evil white man they should perhaps look inwardly and admit their faults and start looking after one another rather than the alternative.

All this silliness is the result of well intentioned meddlers who think that coming up with their own narrative of what is going on and shouting it loudly is going to help people. It hasn't, it doesn't and it's high time they stopped. I do find it amusing that all of these people are inherently racist and don't even see it though. "I'm not racist" I hear the cry, what is holding someone to a lower standard of expectation because of the colour of their skin if it's not racist then?

Dead

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I quit watching a half time when I read that 8 players sat. Done watching and the Lions had the game taken away I heard anyway.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

You know how in times of emergency our flag is flown upside-down? (an act that may seem disrespectful)

Or when there is a tragedy our flag is flown at half-mast?

THAT is what this is.

That is what so many people.. those who kneel, and those who support those protesting are trying to explain.

Kneeling during the anthem is a symbol that although our country is great, it is in distress. There is a tragedy occurring.

Good post.

a reply to: Galacticsun
a reply to: Wookiep

I'm skeptical of white privilege too. It's a real thing, but there are many other factors at play in this world, so I think it's getting too much attention right now. BUT, that doesn't matter. Players still have a right to protest peacefully, no matter how much it rustles your jimmies.

Let's pretend that every single black man who was shot by a cop in the last year was a crook and had it coming. So what? I'd still support their right to protest.

You can't only support protests you agree with, that's backwards, who's supposed to decide which ones are valid?

President Trump?

a reply to: Oldtimer2

That just earns someone extra respect in my eyes, when they are ready to loose their job for what they believe in.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadElf

Correlation/causation has nothing to do with the argument presented. It's a straw-man argument (anyone that knows statistics should know that term). If you placed 100 colored marbles in a bowl, 50 white/50 non-white, and you pulled out 10 without looking, statistically you would expect 5 white and 5 non-white if there was no other force at-work.

If you placed 100 marbles in a bowl, 72 white and 28 non-nonwhite, and then selected 10 without looking, you would expect ~7 white and ~3 non-white. That is statistics, period. If, instead you pulled out 5 white and 5 non-white it would indicate that there is another force at work. The selection was NOT random. and violates the laws of probability. It shouldn't happen if EVERYTHING WAS EQUAL.

edit on 25-9-2017 by jtma508 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

Correlation/causation has nothing to do with the argument presented. It's a straw-man argument (anyone that knows statistics should know that term). If you placed 100 colored marbles in a bowl, 50 white/50 non-white, and you pulled out 10 without looking, statistically you would expect 5 white and 5 non-white if there was no other force at-work.

If you placed 100 marbles in a bowl, 72 white and 28 non-nonwhite, and then selected 10 without looking, you would expect ~7 white and ~3 non-white. That is statistics, period. If, instead you pulled out 5 white and 5 non-white it would indicate that there is another force at work. The selection was NOT random. and violates the laws of probability. It shouldn't happen if EVERYTHING WAS EQUAL.

Your hand is a random element, you wouldn't expect equality from a random draw.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

You don't know what you are talking about. The randomness is exactly the point. The Laws of Probability state that if you select the marbles (or flip a coin) and all things are equal you'd always get a 50/50 result. If you DON'T all things aren't equal. Because your hand IS random (unless you are looking) you SHOULD get the results I posted based upon Probability. If you DON'T, there is another force at-work.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
And while so many people rail against the NFL and players, what about Trump? First, WTF is he doing with this except further dividing the country? Is that his goal? In his first rant he directly calls for a boycott and NOW he's saying he never called for a boycott? He can look at his own Twitter feed. He can see for himself that he's a liar. Any bets on whether he owns up to it?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: Galacticsun
I'm someone who enjoys watching football, but with the cowardly stance that the NFL has taken allowing a platform for an anti-American, self hatred cultural change, I will temporarily and completely refrain from "anything" football until they get back to their senses. This to me is an easy decision, as no game compares to the respect that I have for the America I love and grew up with, and no athlete's talent is so great that I will overlook the message he is allowed to send on one of the greatest platforms in American society.. that platform being the one provided by professional sports.

It is incredibly disheartening to me to see even very patriotic and conservative people that I know, not even blink twice about their watching habits in the face of this controversy. I truly do believe that the vast majority of Americans, even so-called patriotic Americans, have been lulled to apathy by entertainment and comfort. If you can't even turn off a football game then how do you expect to send any meaningful message that will spur change?

To my liberal minded friends, I see you as Americans too and don't have an ounce of hate in my heart for anyone. To me this is not about hating anyone but creating the best America for future generations. Our country is divided on the vision we want for our country but when we are not trying to take over the steering wheel of where this country is going, we still have a lot in common. I have my insights into why I feel that the direction the liberal agenda wants to steer us down will lead to a long-term cultural suicide and severe weakening of our country.. But that's for another post.

Its quite obvious you dont understand the protest.

I dont mean that in a mean way either. I want to help you understand your neighbors.

I understand you. You have patriotic ideals you hold dear to your heart, you love your country.

I do too. I served for the U.S. Army myself... why? I did so because I care. I wanted to help protect this country and give back to it what it gave to me.

That being said I am still able to recognize that our country is not perfect.

My neighbors, and brothers are not all treated the same in our society, and it is a problem!

You know how in times of emergency our flag is flown upside-down? (an act that may seem disrespectful)

Or when there is a tragedy our flag is flown at half-mast?

THAT is what this is.

That is what so many people.. those who kneel, and those who support those protesting are trying to explain.

Kneeling during the anthem is a symbol that although our country is great, it is in distress. There is a tragedy occurring.

People are getting unjustly killed by those in power, by use of excessive force of the police departments in some communities. In addition to that, Rascism is still very real, we saw that in Charoloettesville. People are being discriminated against in multiple facets of life due to their race and socioeconomic backgrounds.

YOUR NEIGHBORS

It is not meant as a sign of disrespect, it is meant as a plea for help!

Yes these athletes are millionaires, and may no longer have to face as much adversity as they may have in the past... but that is exactly why they are doing it. They are kneeling for the men and women who DONT have a voice on a national stage.

This is what we want want you to hear, and understand!

Thats all great and a great post and we do understand the movement and what they are trying to bring awareness too.

We just dont give a shi on Sundays, all we wanna do is watch football not a protest.

I understand your concern.

However, how is it really any different than Breast Cancer Awareness Month where all the NFL teams wear pink?

Or when the NFL does awareness campaigns for Natural Disaster cleanup

Or when the NFL does hanti-human trafficking campaigns

Or what about NFL PLAY 60 collaboration with the United Way, wrking on instituting exercise in our childrens daily routines?

How is this no different?

its different because todays fiasco was all about Trump and getting back at Trump.

It cant get any more political.

It is Trump's own fault that the NFL intensified their protest. He called one of the protestors a "son of a bitch" and said that they should get fired. As the President, he is the one who intensified the protests. He threatened not only to ignore the message of the protests but to take away the first amendment rights of the protestors.
edit on 25amMon, 25 Sep 2017 06:53:40 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

I'm glad someone on these forums has enough sense to see things as they are.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
P.S. so many of you are being snowflakes, allowing yourselves to be triggered by something like this. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
edit on 25amMon, 25 Sep 2017 06:58:59 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   

But on whom's side will the midgets fight?

Obscure "In Bruges" reference
edit on 25/9/17 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

You really shouldn't get the result you posted. All being equal, it's 50/50 each pick/toss, not across the board and to try and suggest that if the outcome isn't 50/50 across the board than something else is at work is fallacious correlation=/=causation.

Dead

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
I expect the nfl to lose millions if not billions over this misguided idiocy.

Are you kidding? All Press (even bad press) is good Press. People will tune in more to the game hoping to see the next political tragedy in the making, live.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

its different because todays fiasco was all about Trump and getting back at Trump.

It cant get any more political.

It is Trump's own fault that the NFL intensified their protest. He called one of the protestors a "son of a bitch" and said that they should get fired. As the President, he is the one who intensified the protests. He threatened not only to ignore the message of the protests but to take away the first amendment rights of the protestors.

To be fair, and I think everyone is missing the point here, no one is calling for anyone's 1st Amendment rights to be curtailed.

The players, of course, have EVERY right to protest.

As the NFL is a business, the owners have every right to fire anyone they feel is hurting their bottom line.

Why don't you try, this morning when you show up for work, to make some political point at your place of employment? I know my contract strictly forbids anything the employer deems controversial, detrimental to business, immoral, etc... Sure, I can do whatever I want, but I'd be ready for the consequences. As should anyone.

Every action has repercusions. It bothers me when people who should know better are surprised when that hits home.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join