It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I think Universal Basic Income UBI is a great idea

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer
Couldn't inflation be controlled with some sort of 'money-sink'?

As long as we didn't repeat the blunders of the last industrial revolution, there wouldn't even be an inflation. The production from automation is relatively unpaid yet still generates revenue (more than we've seen before) and GDP. The money will be there without the need for quantitative easing.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Politics is a waste of time.

I don't know about UBI, but I can imagine that in the not too distant future, UBI will probably be damn near a necessity what with job loss due to robots and AI and automation.

Having said that, I seriously doubt this will lead to the development of much in the way of high culture. Not that it really matters.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: rickymouse
Give everyone the same basic income, then give the guys who put their lives at risk or who work their tail off some extra money. There is no reason that a chemist should get more than a road construction worker who pulls blacktop or concrete all day long. Someone putting roofs on houses should make more than people sitting in an office.

I couldn't disagree more..

I sit in an office and earn every dollar I get paid.
I guarantee I could learn how to put a roof on a house quicker than a roofer could learn to do the things I do..

Why should a roofer get paid more?

It takes all types of brains, skills, abilities to make the world go around..

A roofer does make more money than you if he is self employed.

If people really want to increase their wealth, they must think outside of the box.. work for yourself.. don't depend on the government to hand feed you.

Cool..didnt know you knew how much I make to the point that you are qualified to say if a self employed roofer does or doesnt make more..

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well, we can use automation as an opportunity. Let all the complicated technical stuff be done by the robots, and let the rest of the people revert back to an agricultural/barter economy. We can have a hybrid of the new technology and the ancient trade systems.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
It's all really a non issue. As more and more people loss employment due to automation the human race will simply contract to meet the new reality. Starvation, disease, declining birth rates will cull the human race until a new equalibriam is reached. And than man and micheam will live in harmony and culture will prosper.

A UBI will only slow this progress down and give a false hope to those clinging on to a futile life.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join