It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These are the NFL Teams Not Participating In The National Anthem

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

And I stated they had already been in decline, this only added to the problem. What part of that overly simple statement is escaping you? MLB ratings are also in trouble, is that due to anthem protests as well? There are deep issues with all professional sports and their respective futures.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: infolurker

As "people of color", they've done pretty well for themselves.

which is why they're using their relative privilege and visibility to take a stand for those who don't have that voice...

And thats all theyre doing.

Just protest, no solutions or ideas to better the situation.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Honestly, the underpinnings are very related though. If you really want to get down to it NFL ratings have been flagging (relatively speaking) ever since free-agency has taken as strong of a hold as it has. "Teams" have lost their identity, now they're just a brand. Just a set of colors and logos made in sizes 3XL and up, a hollow jersey which can fit over the body of the player bought by the highest bidder. Very seldom do you see that old school team loyalty by players today. Heck, it now takes nearly the entire pre-season just to figure out who is playing for who...this year.

I think the last great example of team loyalty I can think of is Barry Sanders with Detroit. There's probably a few others, but not many anymore.

I think it's things like this which began the ratings slide, and really when you step back and look at it, to current protests are just a different flavor of the same thing. Selfishness.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It isn't that. Read the commentary about age vis a vis technology in this article, it is a more recent and troubling paradigm shift for the NFL.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Do you actually have anything constructive to add to the discussion? Or, are you just posting to up your post count?

Until you post something relevant, I'm done responding to you.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: carewemust

As "people of color", they've done pretty well for themselves.

which is why they're using their relative privilege and visibility to take a stand for those who don't have that voice...

And thats all theyre doing.

Just protest, no solutions or ideas to better the situation.

It's called raising awareness.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
OK, so we have a made-up news story. So, what is the news trying to cover up? Hillary's $800,000.00 donation to ANTIFA?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

I'm sure many would be happy with even some kind of acknowledgement. Instead, those who are the target of the message are turning a blind eye to their own possible failings.

Is there systemic racism to be found in police forces across the country that have led to the deaths of young black men? It depends on who you ask.

Are there ways to cut down on police related violence? Other countries seem to have found ways.

The problem is these conversations aren't happening. Instead the people in positions of authority have chosen to paint these protesters as unpatriotic ingrates.

So I would say that sitting down and actually discussing these issues in a meaningful way instead of immediately going on the defensive would go a long way in appeasing the protesters and the people that support them.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

I wonder how all those starving in Africa feel about these millionaire crybabies blabbering on and on about how racist America is.

To be fair their great , great, ancestors ancestors weren't racist or did they discriminate when they sold their black prisoners captured from opposing tribes to the boogie white man.

For some reason history lessons on cruelty and slavery stops at the African docks and outposts.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Laughter time...at least for me. People here saying they are "cry babies" for taking a stand(pun intended) for something they believe in are crying harder than anyone. Hell they wouldn't use the energy to allow gravity to take a knee. Wouldn't even get from behind their computer to make a statement.

I told you over the weekend that the league takes care of itself. Outside attacks would be dealt with with solidarity. You saw it. They said, "Screw Trump." Never saw that with a president before.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Absolutely correct...and I have the option of not supporting the anti-American jerks. What you do on your own time is your business, but when it is an enterprise that SUPPOSEDLY reflects the standards of out country (National Football League) then I cannot financially support them.
From now on I am a NASCAR supporter!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
A few over paid pro-ANTIFA jerks...they will go the way of the Clintons and Obama's...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Okay, so a couple points here (based on the article)...

1. I don't disagree with the theme. However, the article is mostly focused on TV ratings. I think in order to get a more generic broad picture view you'd have to survey a lot more markets than just television (if there is even a way to accomplish such a thing). In any case, I would agree.

2. Most of the items listed in the bullet list above the technology section are items I've pointed out above.

In my mind, I believe they are all contributing factors. I'd even add one additional one...Advertising pressure.

Networks, in their infinite greed, have tried to exact every single nanosecond of viewer's eyeball time with advertisements. You can't even watch a game anymore without being forced to watch ads (down in the corner, announcers plugging network programming...it's endless), and this is 'during' regulation play, not during the commercial breaks. People are saturated with advertisements...and frankly, they're getting sick of it! I know I am.

In the 80's an NFL game would take just under 2 hours. Now, they average 2.5+ hours. Why? More advertising. ETA...playoffs and superbowl games are now like 4-5 hours long. It's a 60 minute game.

I went to a Broncos game a while back and was shocked at all the standing around the teams did waiting for "network commercial breaks" to end. No one had called a time out, the game clock was stopped as was the play clock. Everyone was just standing around. That's what I'm talking about. It even kind of ruined the tempo of the game for the spectators who paid good money to go watch the game in person. And it really affected the play too. Used to be you got a team on the run and kept hammering on them, not letting them rest. Now, commercials let them rest...and the game is changed as a result.

edit on 9/25/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Remember the outrage at the Emmy's and Grammy's over not having enough minority nominees and winners?

Remember all the hashtags: #GrammysSoWhite, #EmmysSoWhite?

Where is the outrage that blacks at less than 13% of the population make up over 70% of the NFL?

#NFLSoBlack

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Funny how I don't see anything about taking a knee in the USC for respecting the flag.

Perhaps because it has NOTHING to do with the situation in question.
The nfl rules prohibit the players from any kind of message other than what is going on during the anthem.
Article 8

Throughout the period on game-day that a player is visible to the stadium and television audience (including in pregame warm-ups, in the bench area, and during postgame interviews in the locker room or on the field), players are prohibited from wearing, displaying, or otherwise conveying personal messages either in writing or illustration, unless such message has been approved in advance by the League office.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   

The underlying issue that article exposes, that 18-20 year olds are not watching or attending live sporting events and instead watching people play in video game competitions should be highly troubling for both the NFL and MLB, is covered in other articles. In 10 years there could be a ratings inversion of that demographic from professional sports to this new phenomenon.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

I am heading out the door, so I apologize for the brevity. And no I don't need a reply. But, I do think one of the better posts I read suggested that some folks might find empathy if they pretended that they were taking a knee to protect their 2nd Amendment gun rights. Would you think them out of line then? Would you ask if public executions would further the cause?

Just because you haven't connected with their grievances enough to understand them, doesn't negate their right to protest.

Yesterday though, was about Trump and his outrageous comments. It was giving Trump and his diversionary, divisive tactics the bird.

Anyway, I mean you no I'll will. Your questions and reactions are not uncommon. I just don't share them and we ended up on this thread in the same space and time.

Sometimes you have to stand up by taking a knee or locking arms in brotherhood/ sisterhood. This was one of those times.

Trump is the one who ignited this.

Puerto Rico? Healthcare? Wedge issues based on imagined affront to patriotism? That's the ticket, is what it feels like.

Anyway, yes, I picked on you. Sorry for that. Carry on.

Peace

edit on 25-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

After repeated questions by various posters, I have yet to see any sort of a credible answer to the question of...

Nail; head; direct hit. I have yet to see any explanation of exactly what they are even upset about.

I remember the protests of yesteryear (yes, I'm that old). The Vietnam War protests were silly and fanatical IMO, but at least everyone knew what was being protested. The protesters wanted the war stopped, because of all the inhumane activities that the average Joe finally got to see first hand without being there and dodging bullets.

I remember the Civil Rights protests. They were protesting unequal treatment, such as restrictions that were obviously intended to quell minority voting, poor education made possible due to segregation, and lack of access to equal employment, housing, and other basic needs. They wanted the unfair laws removed and laws enacted to allow equal access to the benefits of society.

Women's Suffrage wanted the right to vote for women.

What do these fools want? They apparently want the same thing every other protest I have seen in the last year wants: the end of the USA, and the removal of the duly-elected President simply because they don't like him. I say "apparently" because I have seen no reasonable statement made by anyone involved that clarifies what they are protesting and what they want... so I have to guess. If I have to guess, then based on the fact that they are protesting the National Anthem and the American Flag, I think my above interpretation is valid.

Someone just mentioned they are "raising awareness." Awareness of what, pray tell? Awareness that they don't have the common decency to do their job without bringing politics into my recreation? Awareness that those millions of dollars of salary aren't enough for them?

If they really wanted to do something, they could take a single million out the hundreds they make and walk into a inner-city slum to start something real. Open a convenience store that employs a few troubled youths. Help a struggling young couple to repair their dilapidated house. Start a halfway house to help troubled youths stay in school and out of gangs. Organize a community cleanup effort. Do something real.

But no... it's apparently easier and cheaper to tick off the rest of the country.

Protest my lilly-white redneck rear end... this is just another childish temper tantrum.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

They DO do that. The players give a LOT of time and money to their communities but that is ignored so that this BS outrage can continue.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: TheRedneck

They DO do that. The players give a LOT of time and money to their communities but that is ignored so that this BS outrage can continue.

BS outrage?

You mean like privileged, multi-million dollar athletes protesting criminals getting treated like criminals by the police?

edit on 25-9-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join