It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These are the NFL Teams Not Participating In The National Anthem

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Boy, I have to say, after reading all (24) pages of this back and forth, a couple things jump out loud and clear...

1. After repeated questions by various posters, I have yet to see any sort of a credible answer to the question of...
"What will it take to get these players off their knees? What is the end-game? What measure of justice will be required for these players to stand again??? At what point will they be satisfied whatever injustice they are protesting has been snuffed out?"

Is it some new law they want? Would some public executions help? Who exactly are these people the players are protesting against? Is it just the cops? Only white cops, or all cops? Or, is it some larger issue?

To me it seems very much like the OWS movement; everyone was mad about something, but nobody really seemed to know what it was; nobody could really point to a single unified thing they were protesting about, or what would make their world whole again.

I've seen some posters here on this thread, posters whom I often vigorously disagree with, make some interestingly valid points in defense of these protests. Equally, I've seen some posters on this thread whom I usually agree with make some remarks that I don't support at all. In an effort to be objective, I guess I really need to understand the fundamental purpose and the goal of these protests in order to form my own opinion.

Again...what is the end-game of these NFL protests? What action would make it okay for them to stand again?? Isn't there anyone, Bueller?, who can answer this question? No one has so far! There's been tons of rhetoric and yammering, but no (none, zero...nada) answers.

P.S. Here's a consideration / possible solution - Networks just stop airing the National Anthem. I guess the NFL feels players are not "on the clock" during the anthem so they can do as they wish. Okay, let them. However, once that first whistle blows they're dang sure on the clock. I'm pretty sure there are team rules, if not NFL rules, which govern expressions of non-football sympathy on the field, but these must be made on a team basis (breast cancer comes to mind). Personal expressions are frowned upon (even Tim Tebow's). If they did this, then the whole team would have to agree...and it would be quite easy to determine which teams to support and which not to (depending on your point of view). So, bottom line, if it's not part of regulation or overtime play...don't air it. Any other expressions of support have to be team sanctioned.

I'll bet these measures would have a pretty quick resolution then.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

www.cbssports.com...
www.forbes.com...

Yeah nobody turns this off because of protests, just ask that FORMER nfl quarterback Colin Kaepernick. How has his employment situation worked out?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Boy, I have to say, after reading all (24) pages of this back and forth, a couple things jump out loud and clear...

1. After repeated questions by various posters, I have yet to see any sort of a credible answer to the question of...
"What will it take to get these players off their knees? What is the end-game? What measure of justice will be required for these players to stand again??? At what point will they be satisfied whatever injustice they are protesting has been snuffed out?"

Is it some new law they want? Would some public executions help? Who exactly are these people the players are protesting against? Is it just the cops? Only white cops, or all cops? Or, is it some larger issue?

To me it seems very much like the OWS movement; everyone was mad about something, but nobody really seemed to know what it was; nobody could really point to a single unified thing they were protesting about, or what would make their world whole again.

I've seen some posters here on this thread, posters whom I often vigorously disagree with, make some interestingly valid points in defense of these protests. Equally, I've seen some posters on this thread whom I usually agree with make some remarks that I don't support at all. In an effort to be objective, I guess I really need to understand the fundamental purpose and the goal of these protests in order to form my own opinion.

Again...what is the end-game of these NFL protests? What action would make it okay for them to stand again?? Isn't there anyone, Bueller?, who can answer this question? No one has so far! There's been tons of rhetoric and yammering, but no (none, zero...nada) answers.

P.S. Here's a consideration / possible solution - Networks just stop airing the National Anthem. I guess the NFL feels players are not "on the clock" during the anthem so they can do as they wish. Okay, let them. However, once that first whistle blows they're dang sure on the clock. I'm pretty sure there are team rules, if not NFL rules, which govern expressions of non-football sympathy on the field, but these must be made on a team basis (breast cancer comes to mind). Personal expressions are frowned upon (even Tim Tebow's). If they did this, then the whole team would have to agree...and it would be quite easy to determine which teams to support and which not to (depending on your point of view). So, bottom line, if it's not part of regulation or overtime play...don't air it. Any other expressions of support have to be team sanctioned.

I'll bet these measures would have a pretty quick resolution then.

Did the networks show the anthem at the Eagles game? I was there, if so, how audible were the USA chants afterwards?

A bunch of fans were wearing Eagles branded T shirts stating they will stand for the anthem on the back.

There is no end game, just pissing off a lot of fans who may have American flags in their homes from their fallen relatives who served.

Side note, Malcolm Jenkins is one of the Eagles who has been giving back to the community long before Kaep and he raised his fist.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Yeah nobody turns this off because of protests, just ask that FORMER nfl quarterback Colin Kaepernick. How has his employment situation worked out?

Ratings have been declining for 3-4 years now. When did all of this start? I'm not saying it hasn't exacerbated the situation but there are deeper more systemic problems that professional sports need to address.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
a reply to: fiverx313

What is your actual goal with any of this sort of noise????????

Note I cant stand football culture, am merely observing this latest fascinating example of liberal absurdity gone too far, so spare me the assertions Im offended they messied up my game day.

This sort of stuff just seems to me like deliberate attempts to piss in everyones corn flakes. Anyone have a better explanation?

Still waiting........

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Another thing...there are some much more concerning threats to the professional football industry, and whatever these protesters are protesting has nothing to do with it. The NFL might do well to consider who they're trying to win over with these protests. They might be playing into the wrong hands and not even realize it.

Why?

Well, there is a large and growing group of people who would like to see full-contact football banned completely; would like to see it removed from secondary and collegiate state funded programs altogether. It's too dangerous, they say. This is a real thing, where people can point to actual medical proof of injuries...not just some theory, or some perceived injustice. These people have traction, and they have the attention of the public as a whole. I read an article a while back where some attorney was making a claim (sounded like they were gearing up for a class-action suit) wherein a parent allowing a child to play full-contact football was tantamount to child abuse. If laws like that ever get any traction, football as we know it will get extinguished like a candle in the wind over night.

It's too violent, it promotes violence...ban it! Are not these the same people (or some of the same) who are the most sensitive to other social issues...like ones which NFL players may be taking a knee for?

Perhaps this is an example of losing sight of the larger war in an effort to win the battle of the moment.

Something to consider.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

www.forbes.com...

Both CBS’ Sunday afternoon game and NBC’s Sunday Night Football saw their lowest ratings in seven years.

No not from the sideline/lockeroom anthem shenanigans at all......

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You read 24 pages and your question is, would public executions help?

*Face palm

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

No not from the sideline/lockeroom anthem shenanigans at all......

What part of they were in decline previously do you not seem to grasp? I already stated that this has obviously added to it but professional sports, not just football, have rating issues to contend with that already existed.

2016 article.

Another, and it isn't about anthems.

edit on 25-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I can say this from personal experience...yesterday, I didn't even click on the Seattle game to even check the score. Nor have I done so on-line. Seeing as how the Seahawks have allowed this matter to become a "team" issue, and not just a personal one, no advertiser is going to get my views or clicks.

So yeah, I guess I do have an opinion.

If I were a team owner, this would be my posture on the matter..."You are welcome to your opinion. You are welcome to express your opinion...on your own time. When you are here, in this stadium, wearing this team's uniform, you are an employee. Let this message be clear (and there will be a test); we are here to play football, not make social statements. This is a business. When you put the jersey on, you're on the clock. You are welcome to go out there suited up and make some social statement...just not on this team!"

And frankly, this is what teams who want to stay in the franchise business should all be doing. That is, if they truly want to be the spirit of a "team", and want to be "winners".

When did the "I" ever show up in "team"???? I am unaware it ever did, and isn't that what this is all about, the "I" in 'individual'. It has no place on a "team".

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Did you even read the story you posted as a source?
It includes the protests as a reason.

KAEPERNICK’S PROTEST Three reasons viewership is declining: 1. Kap 2. Kap 3. Kap

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Well...what do you want?

Do YOU have an answer??? Or, do you just have some tired comeback. Maybe you should have included a meme...that's what everyone else who has nothing to say does!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

It is not the sole reason, and that was ONE opinion in the article, otherwise the 2015 over 2014 and 2016 over 2015 rating declines would have not occurred. Stop being obtuse and disingenuous.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

But it is listed in the article you sourced to prove it was not the reason.....

well done....

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I don't want what you're selling, clearly.

Have some class.

Public executions? Who says that?

Maybe you could try and understand the injustices, be a part of solutions, and stop inflaming situations with wild rhetoric.

I can post a pic if it helps.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

But it is listed in the article you sourced to prove it was not the reason.....

well done....

Because the other sports writers posting in it do not cite it as a reason and mention previously existing issues. Nor does the article even mention anthems.

Nice selective reading comprehension. Did Kapernick have a time machine to screw up the 2015 ratings?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

It's called sarcasm, in case you hadn't noticed. Or, perhaps that went over your head.

I'm pretty sure I write clearly enough for you to understand the intent of what I was posting.

If you would be so kind....please answer the question!!!! And if you need me to repeat said question, I will be happy to (just for you)...

What "justice" will it take to get these players up off of their knees????

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Nice selective reading comprehension. Did Kapernick have a time machine to screw up the 2015 ratings?

No, but the article I sourced showed the ratings are at their lowest in 7 years.
They source the protests as the main reason.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

All it proves is that people are sheeple. They're buying in to this faux outrage at the prompting of the President. And yes it is faux outrage. How many people crying over this get their a** off the couch and stand for the National Anthem when watching the games at home? How many people crying over this choose that time to go to the bathroom or grab a beer? How many people crying over this own a piece of American flag clothing? How many people crying over this bring the flag in when it rains?

This has nothing to do with disrespecting the flag. It has to do with the fact that attention is being drawn to an issue that makes them uncomfortable and would rather ignore. But they can't admit this (maybe even to themselves) because that makes them look racist. Instead they have decided to frame their outrage in this ridiculous claim that they're "disrespecting the flag."

And now Trump has decided to latch on to that. Why? My guess is because the US territory of Puerto Rico has pretty much been wiped off the map and it doesn't look like the Trump administration is doing anything to help. So he has chosen to get his sycophants all riled up over something dumb because he knows they'll focus on that and ignore his massive failings.

Funny how I don't see anything about taking a knee in the USC for respecting the flag.
4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

If you read the thread and followed the links you already know.

Comprehend?

Share your findings from all that reading, by all means.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join