It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These are the NFL Teams Not Participating In The National Anthem

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
"The Rooney Rule is a National Football League policy that requires league teams to interview minority candidates for head coaching and senior football operation jobs. It is sometimes cited as an example of affirmative action, though there is no quota or preference given to minorities in the hiring of candidates."~wiki

en.m.wikipedia.org...

"The rule is named after Dan Rooney, the former owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and former chairman of the league's diversity committee.

It was created as a reaction to the 2002 firings of head coaches Tony Dungy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Dennis Green of the Minnesota Vikings, at a time when Dungy had a winning record and Green had just had his first losing season in ten years. Shortly afterwards, U.S. civil rights attorneys Cyrus Mehri and Johnnie Cochran released a study showing that black head coaches, despite winning a higher percentage of games, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Former NFL players Kellen Winslow and John Wooten then put together a self-described “affinity group” of minority scouts, coaches, and front-office personnel, to advocate for the rule's creation."~wiki

Even though this rule is very important. Every Fan in Steelers Nation seemed to have forgotten. In true Pittsburgher manner they displayed their true colors. There are alot of older folks still alive from serving from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War up to today.....
They stand (if they can or even if they got their leggs blown off) but holding their hand over their heart means sometimes to them too.
They get medical care from the VA....

***scarfff cough cough***

They are easily offended because they feel like they did all this work for nothing. They take great pride and pains.

However they do know the meaning of Freedom of Speech and the right to assemble.

* The First Amendment states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.*

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

You missed my post..

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
Every last one of his teammates stayed in the locker room. Are they racist for not supporting a minority? Or is this minority player racist for not staying in the locker room?

I thought if you don't support minorities you're a racist. Does that mean the Steelers organization, black and white alike, are all racists for not supporting Alejandro, who served this country in the military?

oh come on, this is some nonsense straw man word salad. what point are you even trying to make?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zarniwoop
a reply to: Nyiah

Is it a one-off?

Are you only concerned with topics you have seen on TV?

What is your problem with me contributing to this thread?

I never said I have a problem with you contributing to the thread. But it would be nice to know why you're up in arms over a few minutes you don't even bother to watch yourself. If you're going for the patriot angle, it kinda fizzles out when it's selective patriotism.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

Why should anyone have to apologize for something someone else did, said or felt??????
edit on 01/22/2007 by Ripper777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   

But it would be nice to know why you're up in arms over a few minutes you don't even bother to watch yourself

Another lazy one who didn't read from the start

I really wish folks would do that

I don't like sports mixing with politics and race issues.

Players don't deserve the stage. Nor do actors or anyone else on TV.

Keep that sh&t off my screen. That's what the Internet is for, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
*triggering intensifies

And I thought it was all the lefty snowflakes who need safe spaces and who get offended at every little thing

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
*triggering intensifies

And I thought it was all the lefty snowflakes who need safe spaces and who get offended at every little thing

Don't you know? Righty snowflakes being triggered is a myth?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   

But it would be nice to know why you're up in arms over a few minutes you don't even bother to watch yourself

Another lazy one who didn't read from the start

I really wish folks would do that

I don't like sports mixing with politics and race issues.

Keep that sh&t off my screen. That's what the Internet is for, I suppose.

Another lazy one who didn't read from the start.

Your president decided to make the mix between politics and sports.

Oh.... and by the way, the national anthem IS political, so sports have always been political.

More false outrage regarding those exercising their Consitutional rights. Maybe these NFL players should throw on some swastikas and MAGA hats to gain respect and be considered "very fine people," by Donald.

You say players don't deserve the stage yet you watch them... they only have a stage because people like you pay for it. Lol.

link   

*cough* president is a reality tv star *cough*

link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: RomeByFire
*triggering intensifies

Don't you know? Righty snowflakes being triggered is a myth?

I'd venture to say it's fake news funded by 'dem Soros boys.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Zarniwoop

No, Zarni, we know what you're saying is your reason. But like I said, you're already not watching the anthem, so what difference does it make? If you're not watching it, it's not being thrust upon you like you make it seem. It's a bit of a false outrage, no? "Somebody did/said something I don't like during something I don't watch, OFFENSIVE!!"

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I don't disagree.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I don't disagree.

well then fair play to you, good sir

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

so what difference does it make?

You can't tell me every post you've made on this site was about something your personally witnessed?

I can have an opinion about something that I choose not to watch, right?

Come on, now....

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Zarniwoop

No, Zarni, we know what you're saying is your reason. But like I said, you're already not watching the anthem, so what difference does it make? If you're not watching it, it's not being thrust upon you like you make it seem. It's a bit of a false outrage, no? "Somebody did/said something I don't like during something I don't watch, OFFENSIVE!!"

Haven't you heard?

Exercising your Constituional rights is offensive and shouldn't be tolerated because it's a spit on the graves of those who died protecting.... Constituional rights.

And the NFL shouldn't be political although the National Anthem (which is political) has never been an issue.... but silently protesting for mere minutes is. And the only reason this happened today was Trump's tweet.... if HE hadn't made this political it wouldn't have happened.

But hey, when it comes to white supremacists and Nazi's heiling Hitler, donning swastikas, and everyone's true boogeyman - they were WEARING MASKS - are "very fine people," and we should respect their rights.

There's an obvious distinction between those calling for the preservation of the Constitutional rights of a Nazi versus the Constitutional rights of Kaepernick and other football players. Regardless of what it is, it's still pretty pathetic to see those seeing an act of American Constitutional exercise as something to be ashamed of.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Long time lurker..rare poster...

Kap and his growing band of merry men because of the seemingly unknown their verse of the National Anthem. In this theirs verse Kap says they glorify the killing of slaves. but just who where the slaves? The conscripted runaway slaves that fought for England? Where the slaves the subjects of the monarchy that wished to keep the colonies enslaved? I guess it all depends on what trigger you choose to react to.

A simple truth..Sure, America much like most the world would appear extremely racist by today's standards for sure. I mean..the great emancipator Lincoln wanted to ship these people back to Africa after the war. But I don't think Key was sitting there reveling in the idea that they would run amok and kill all the black people. I do think he like many colonists thought anyone that would live under a king a slave. Being the time frame they would have to kill off a huge work force to obtain the goal in the trigger happy third verse.

For much of his first years in office, Lincoln was obsessed with solving America’s seemingly intractable race problem by persuading free blacks to lead the way for an exodus that would wash the United States of the original sin of slavery—without having to live alongside those it had enslaved.

www.africanamerica.org...

There are links a plenty on all sides of this issue. I would suggest that people not use google for their souse as you will only probably only get mostly one side. I used GoDuckGo . It seems to be a little more balanced in it's results that the big guns of google and bing.

Edit to add...
Personally I don't acre what they do. It's a company matter weather or not they are allowed to protest at work. It does nothing to change my opinion of the NFL. Frankly I think players are looked to for their opinions and they should before valuable because they are big famous sports stars? No, no they should not. If the league has no qualms with the protests to the anthem then they are well within their rights to do so just like all of us. I protest at work and my boss fires me? Well..That's his right. and it isn't anyone else right to say they can or can not make their stand. But I will say fans also have a right to think they are a55hats and choose not to support them anymore.
edit on 9/25/2017 by DrumJunkie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

well then fair play to you, good sir

Sure...

I'm playing along like you all in this game

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

You can't tell me every post you've made on this site was about something your personally witnessed?

Come on, now....

Sure you can, I do the same thing -- I don't switch to Center Ice until after the anthem ego stroke. I'm just not sure how you managed to equate kneeling to such a personal sleight toward you.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Come on, now....

But does it really offend you?

I mean, in three months, will the butt still be raw from a mere minutes of silent protesting? Like others pointed out - did they cancel the game? Inject hyperbolic statements (like ATS has)? Did the NFL force your eyes and ears open and force you to watch and/or listen to it? Is anyone making you comment on these boards?

Yes? Damn. That's rough.

But in reality, no, and getting upset over Americans exercising a Constitutional right is pretty silly despite what web you'd like to weave regarding it.

How is it offensive to, well, anyone? Veterans? Pretty sure an oath is taken that doesn't mention any anthems or flags. Actually - I'm positive on that. SJW snowflakes who whine about everything and consider everything offensive whether it be the casting of a female for a Star Wars film, an antagonist in a fictional video game, music videos featuring shock art, or even something as mediocre as a statue?

Boo-hoo.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join