It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flatland - a creation of dimension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have just watched the film Flatland, it's the story of people living in a 2dimensional world making contacting with those who reside in a 3d one. It got me thinking. Let's assume its dimensional, what if folk who reside in a 4thdimensional/density or up world wanted to make contact with us. How would we know? What signs should we look for?
Any Ideas
edit on 24-9-2017 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC
Good question!

hmm...let me call Miss Cleo real quick..

I would like to watch this movie. Is it on any streaming service?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
I have just watched the film Flatland, it's the story of people living in a 2dimensional world making contacting with those who reside in a 3d one. It got me thinking. Let's assume its dimensional, what if folk who reside in a 4thdimensional/density or up world wanted to make contact with us. How would we know? What signs should we look for?
Any Ideas

Flatland was originally a small book written by the Mathematics teacher Edwin A Abbott and first published in 1884.

If a creature from higher dimensionality than ours were to 'cross' our dimensions, we'd probably see a 3D object appearing in the middle of nowhere and growing larger, then reducing once again until it disappeared. It would not appear as a slice or section through the higher dimensional object, just as a partial expression of its external appearance.

edit on 24/9/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

You would see apparitions, partial or full, sometimes whispy, see thru, appearing and disappearing.

We have several words to describe this, ghosts, spirits, etc.

Good companion study for you is Carl Sagans bit about "Interdimensional Beings".

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Dragon's Egg is a fun read.
Though not 2 dimensional, pretty darned close.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If you imagine two dimensions as being a sheet of paper, then any piece of string that is in three dimensions and crosses that plane would appear as one or more points on that plane. Similarly with a piece of string in four dimensions in our universe. It would still appear as a single point in our three dimensions, but could cross at multiple points. These would appear as separate points but which change together.

We would then expect to see particles disappear and reappear. Larger objects might be a bit tricky, but scientists have been able to get buckyball molecules to act as if they were purely wave functions.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: abago71
Good question!

hmm...let me call Miss Cleo real quick..

I would like to watch this movie. Is it on any streaming service?

Here's a link to the movie -- www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

In the book, a sphere is trying to convince a square it lives in 3-D. All the square could notice is that what it thought to be a circle grew to certain size, then shrank down to a point. Then disappeared but square could still talk to the sphere.

Now if a being were to do something like that. Huh? They would look like a doughy flesh sack at some point (just like the rest of us). The other part would be unknown because we do not have a language to describe it! Parts and pieces or even rudimentary knowledge would be there. Words like, "magic" and "woo" and "psychic" come to mind. As do words like, "trippy"! But to explain what an unbelievable experience would be like... it would pointless in a sense!

What order do we perceive "higher dimensions"? It all become an epistemological question. Like, "How do I know what I call, "blue" is what you are seeing?" You might be seeing purple! Now you could go all science nerd and user "wavelength" to describe things but that just pushes the "experience" aspect back a bit. "Where or how do we measure higher dimension" would be a question to ask!

The mind is pretty good at ignoring things! We do it all the time without us even noticing. I would imagine it would be the opposite where everything becomes "infinitely more interesting" than we previous noticed. And would be happening as fast you could concentrate! I think light would be involved because it is pretty freaky stuff to begin with! Then I would bet being able to "hear other people's thoughts" would be there!

At least that is my idea! Total freak out happening in rapid fire succession. Probably sounds too. Maybe a cool techno beat? There are some experiences like sky diving that I would bet would be good training. Full physical and mental freak out with a light and sound show! And you really couldn't explain everything in words to others afterwards!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

A being of higher dimension would mean it can probably control time and space. So it would prove its power by rewinding/ forwarding time as if it was just a DVD.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Maybe that's what happens when we see people in the mirror behind us, even though nobody is their. It could be people from the 5th dimension.

top topics

join