It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canucks. Are you OK with Ceding your Rights to American Agents?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well it's about to happen as part of Bill C-23. Harper's crackdown bill. If passed US agents will have the authority to detain anyone IN CANADIAN AIRPORTS.

In brief, this legislation would give American border guards at Canadian airports the power to detain and even strip-search travellers attempting to enter the United States. Moreover, it removes the right of travellers to walk away from U.S. border preclearance if they choose.

www.torontosun.com...

Doesn't sound too bad. Canadian officials getting more help and all. Right? That may be what you think unless you haven't traveled to the States. Some of these officials are downright Draconian. Not what we are used to with government officials.

The exchange of common humanity for a police-like uniform, the clipped, minatory “sirs” and “ma’ams” that accompany petty authority, and a repulsive eagerness to punish or imprison — these are all part of Americans’ routine interactions with their myriad constabularies.

*snip*

Canadians are generally unaware of this unpleasant reality until they find themselves on the business end of it — often at the U.S. border.

An example:

They go so far as to creep around Canadian terminals in plain clothes, identifying and harassing unsuspecting passengers.

A female acquaintance of mine was recently put upon by one such operative in a Toronto airport bar, after she had cleared U.S. customs.

He flashed a badge and demanded she come with him. Canadian as she is, she obliged. She was hustled into a windowless room where several U.S. officers questioned and accused her for hours, reducing her to tears and causing her to miss her flight.

I don't allow Canadian officials to do this to me without questioning it. A couple of years ago I was detained as a "random check". Uh huh. I questioned whether it was because I looked like a biker. No, they said. BS I said. Now imagine trying that with US officials. Trust me, you don't want to do that. Your ass would be in a sling. I've had experience with them back in the Reagan years. I can only imagine what it would be like in the post 911 era.

You can't just lay this on Harper though. He may be gone but it's Trudeau's gov't that may, probably, pass this bill. Talk to your MP(email is best). Especially if you're in a Liberal riding. It's them that are going to pass this if something isn't done. The article asks a damn good question:

Now, could you imagine those jokers with legitimate power to detain and strip-search, ratified by the Canadian government?

Yes I can and that doesn't leave me with rainbow and unicorn thoughts.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It doesn't bother me, at least the Canadian officials at the airport won't have so rough of a time with Americans hassling the airport workers if this happens, the American security can more easily threaten them to settle down.

I actually think all major airports world wide should have some of the major countries security detail available to settle things, It has good and bad points, but some foreign travelers can be kind of a pain.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
When the American border guards ask you any drug questions like ever trying marijuana, always say 'NO' and don't wear any clothing advocating any type of drugs.

When people think about it, they will realize that when they are on Canadian soil, they would have the protection of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and Canadian law. If we did not have preclearance and people chose to go to American ports of entry, they would have a lot less protection, and the Americans would have more power. I think people would see the benefits of preclearance. (by Larry Bagnell, Yukon)

edit on 19CDT10America/Chicago051101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

edit on 19CDT10America/Chicago056101030 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Since when did US need permission to throw its weight around? "Agents" just seized and searched Russian embassy in SF. Another violation of international law.

Oh its neighbor Canada, member of NATO Alliance.

Then I guess we have to keep up appearances, for now.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
oh please, old ladies and kids have been waiting for the day that strangers from the TSA would give their genitals some attention for unreasonable searches. Now that day has come for Canadians. Just think of it as equal opportunity molestation that Canadians and Americans will now share together! Hooray, we are almost one country right?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It doesn't bother me, at least the Canadian officials at the airport won't have so rough of a time with Americans hassling the airport workers if this happens, the American security can more easily threaten them to settle down.

I actually think all major airports world wide should have some of the major countries security detail available to settle things, It has good and bad points, but some foreign travelers can be kind of a pain.

Great idea. Folks who could assist in mediating situations with language and/or culture gaps.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: UndeadWarrior

originally posted by: rickymouse

Great idea. Folks who could assist in mediating situations with language and/or culture gaps.

Will they repack my luggage after security gets through looking through it?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I I were Canada, I'd build a wall.

Keep them pesky Americans oot!

top topics

join