It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was The Atlas V Rocket Equipped With A Nuclear-Armed EMP?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Hello fellow ATSers. As I went about my daily routine this morning, I stumbled across news announcing the launch of the Atlas V Rocket. What struck me as odd was that the words "top secret" were used when describing the cargo that is attached to this rocket.

An excerpt from an article titled "The Other North Korean Threat" found on The Washington Times had this to say:

"North Korea has two satellites in orbit, and more to follow, that could be nuclear-armed for a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack that would black out North America for months to years, killing millions."

www.washingtontimes.com...

In this crazy world anything is possible so did we just send the same kind of weapon into space?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Oddba1l

"North Korea has two satellites in orbit, and more to follow, that could be nuclear-armed for a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack that would black out North America for months to years, killing millions."

Thats a lot of crap. High altitude detonation of nukes is not going to blackout the world or 'kill millions'. US tested thousands of air bursted and hi altitude nukes in the Pacific. The only deaths were from fallout, the only EMP effects were from one test, and those effects were minimal.

EMP black out is a myth. The bomb itself is best employed directly on targets, thats what they are for. North Korea has about a handful, hardly offensive in nature, but good for a little tabloid style over dramatization.

The actual threat the North Korean defensive nuclear deterrent poses is against the US military, both land based and surface fleets.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
It was an NRO satellite, that's why it's classified. All of NROs satellites are top secret.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

I don't doubt it at all. Go back 50 years of launches... Hundreds... And see how many were "classified" "military" or "communication" satellites....

It's almost a given we have them... and others with unknown or classified tech...

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I suggest that you re-read some of the comments that Lil' Kim has threatened upon the US. It gets a tad more than military forces and bases as you tell us. Why would you downplay his threats?

edit on 24-9-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Perhaps because the only place you read about the threats is in western media? Let me ask you this. Do you understand Korean and have you seen/heard him making these threats directly, outside of what the western/English language media tells you. Before you answer, just like in the west, talking heads on TV do not count. TIA

So he's testing his missiles? So what? The US detonated far more crap in the world over the years than Korea can ever hope to.

Duck and cover!
edit on 24/9/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I believe Kims threat is over hyped as well it does help keep the military funding flowing and in there mind that is good .
You think what the military will say hay we really don't need any more hardware and take a pay cut .
Or NK -afag- Iraq and the next terrorists is .

But on the other hand if the US stopped today another country will be quick to fill the void .
So seeing humans are bound and determined to kill each other I would rather be on the strongest side .

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

I suggest that you re-read some of the comments that Lil' Kim has threatened upon the US. It gets a tad more than military forces and bases as you tell us. Why would you downplay his threats?

Because talk is hot air. The US Empire actually physically occupies the Korean Peninsula militarily, directly threatens their country by land, sea and air. Economically threatens them by Embargo, Blockade and Sanctions, for over half a century! The US military has bases, carrier strike groups and land based bombers swarming right up against their border and airspace.

The US is playing war games right outside their front door, right now.

Anything hapless lil North Korea does is a defensive response to alll that.

More power to the lil people.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Aliensun

Because talk is hot air. The US Empire actually physically occupies the Korean Peninsula militarily, directly threatens their country by land, sea and air. Economically threatens them by Embargo, Blockade and Sanctions, for over half a century! The US military has bases, carrier strike groups and land based bombers swarming right up against their border and airspace.

The US is playing war games right outside their front door, right now.

Anything hapless lil North Korea does is a defensive response to alll that.

More power to the lil people.

Because we are still technically at war with them. You always leave that part out in your self-righteous indignation.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
The norks so far have nothing that can do a major EMP attack on the US.

It would take at least a 1 MT weapon at just the right place with just the right shell to take out half the US.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

We have the technology where we could send multiple weapons into orbit. I understand that setting off a nuke in space wouldn't produce a blast wave, but let's say these weapons could be controlled back into our atmosphere and dropped on an X-Y coordinate anywhere on the planet. Sounds a bit sci-fi and far out, but anything "top secret" is possible. Hence the reason for my post.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
the notion of launching a " EMP device " in orbit targeting NK is so utterly assanine , it hurts

the north koeran military has has 60 years to harden its defences an systems against such attack

so the " value " of such a strike will be low

however - its imapct on the civilian infrastructures of SK plus parts japan and china would be catastrophic

so - no

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Yep....I watched dozens and dozens of "classified" military launches since 1970 and earlier. Im sure we got a bunch of things in orbit. 'Wouldnt know until they are needed and used....

I dont doubt it for a minute...

Thanks

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Most of NK doesn't have electricity. The people are dirt poor and hard as nails. The military has most of everything and it'll be hardened like the Soviet era stuff it's descended from. What's the point of an emp there. The west is soft, advanced and logistically fragile as hell which is different case.

All the statements out of NK need to be read with an understanding of the nature of the regime. NK raises it's people to believe the USA is a force of pure malice. Saving the independence of the NK nation from evil America is part of the cult myth that underpins the regime. The regime and the insane cult society it's bred over 50 years cannot survive in the absence of this mutual hostility. Peace can never be allowed to break out.

At the same time they know if war is provoked they will lose and the regime ends, and if nuclear war is provoked they'll be obliterated. They don't want that either.

top topics

join