It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the " terrys chocolate orange " weight conspiracy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   
hey - screw brexit and north korea - some things are important

and i has to admit - that one of my " vices " = terrys chocolate orange

and i has only just noticed - they have reduced the weight

175gms is now 157gms

now thats dammed sneaky - and i believe deliberate to confuse people [ same 3 digits - just different order = smaller orange ]

the wikki - says that this was done over a year ago [ may 2016 ]

but some sellers are still listing the 175gms product - and i know i has been eating the big ones this year - i guess they make thousands / day - and it takes time to " dispose " of the old size

this is a rant - cos i am not sure what there is to discuss - its a fact that they has changed the weight - and as they have a shelf life of over 18 months - there are still 175gms products " in circulation " - i only ran out 3 weeks ago

there you have it - the important things in life - my favourite milk chocolate is now smaller [ i normally only eat dark chocolate 70% coaco - and none of the bars i prefer has yet dared to change thier 100gms bar weight ]

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Its happening with most confectionary

The prices of chocolate have gone up and the only way they can keep prices low enough for customers to buy them as impulsive purchase is to drop the weight and keep the cost around the same.

Look at what they done to Toblerone!!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Freddos have gone smaller at the same time as the price went from 10p to 30p. Then there's the increasingly humble Snickers! Jeezus Lord Almighty I can remember when it was 'Marathon' and was a filling beast of a bar. Now it's shrinking by the year. Drifters and Twix have shrunk by an inch at least. Only one that hasn't changed is Kit-Kat and they're not even Top 20 for me...

I do understand why they've shrunk products and raised prices. It's still disappointing and makes chocolate treats a let down. Suppose it's better on the dieter's guilty conscience though? Hard feeling guilty off two mouthfuls and 150 calories. Harumph!!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Terry's are owned by Kraft Foods who did the same to one of my favourite vices Toblerone , it's their way of keeping the price in line with expectations.
TBH I'm more pissed that they moved chocolate orange production from York to Poland but that's the world we live in.

The only way to complain is to boycott , stick with Lindt or other real chocolatiers.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:25 AM
link   

On the bright side they were buy one get 2 free at Tesco this week!

Quite partial to a chocolate orange - even the popping candy ones.

Haribo doing the same thing too.

Don’t even get me started on crisps!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrBobH

On the bright side they were buy one get 2 free at Tesco this week!

Quite partial to a chocolate orange - even the popping candy ones.

Haribo doing the same thing too.

Don’t even get me started on crisps!

Crisps!!! I bought a packet of the new mccoys sea salt and vinegar 'chips' a grab bag size for a pound.
Opened them and the crisps were only 1/5 of the contents.. The rest was empty space..
Couldn't believe it.. just tricking consumers. The amount of crisps would have fitted into a frazzle packet.
edit on 24/9/17 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

I've seen sweet chilli sensations get smaller in weight maybe 3-5 times over the years.

The big bags used to be around 200g (I think) back when I first tried them. They're 82g now.

These huge companies are not stupid. They know the market and demand, what customers expect and just what products to make of a higher quality.

Then they'll let the quality slip or slowly reduce the size.

I see it all the time. Birdseye is a product I hate buying for this reason. Boycott them all I say, you can find better replacements if you look about.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Be hard pressed to find one that hasn't been butchered in the last decade.

Have you seen a Curly Wurly recently?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
The same thing happened years ago in the US with coffee, during a coffee shortage caused by freezing temperatures in central/south america.
A 16 oz can went down to 13 oz in order to keep the pricing the same.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Did the larger sizes/ lower prices ever return? My crystal ball says they never do.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

Just got back from a car boot sale with my folks and called at tesco and my mum bought three for two quid.
Its only a small reduction in weight but it was noticeable when I picked them up.
Stinking rotters!

What happened to Texan bars? And Banjos???

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Everybody has been doing it for ages.
Wagon Wheels are no longer large enough for a respectable wagon.
Boxes of Maltezers are more loosely packed.
And so on.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   
sizes seem to go up & down. down, down, down until they can increase the size, call it "jumbo" and hit you for more $.
Lather Rinse Repeat

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Texan bars and Banjos disappeared in the early 80’s when I was a nipper.

I miss the good old king size Mars Bar. Replaced with the Mars Duo I’m so you can save half for later and be healthy. Remember as a lad growing up we used to slice up a Mars and share it on a Sat night.

Bring back the proper Wham and Gorgo bars and some good old fashioned highland toffee bars for 5p!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Did the larger sizes/ lower prices ever return? My crystal ball says they never do.

You are correct!
'One pound' cans have dropped even further to 11 ounces!

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

They are a bunch of bastards and it's always us picking up their slack lol. Whenever they make these changes they stay changed. Even when the news is saying fuel prices have dropped (so transporting products is cheaper) the sizes and prices don't change. Bastardos!

a reply to: DrBobH

Highland toffee claimed two of my milk teeth! Texan bars came back for a few weeks years ago. One word - disappointment! I still remember when they were great. I was a very young kid and couldn't bite through them. It was like those pig skin chews that keep dogs busy and quiet for half an hour. Nom nom nom

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Highland toffee took out two of my fillings but, damn, it was worth it!!!

I feel like everything is tiny these days.
Wagon wheels used to have really tasty jam in and they taste all cardboardy to me now.

I feel old.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I could never eat an old mars bar in one sitting...used to have to cut it in half and have it later
Now can stuff one down with a cuppa in around 3 bites! And no me gob hasn't got bigger

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Tunnock's tea cakes in the yellow box havnt changed size

I hope no one fron Tunnock's is reading this....

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: PhyllidaDavenport

Are you sure?

I remember mars bars at seven pence.
Beano was two and a half pence.
The half penny change got me a black jack or a fruit salad.

Ten pence pocket money!

Feeling even older now.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join