It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entire High School Football Team Kneels For National Anthem

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Fair enough...

Here is a question though... is it a right, if you cannot engage in it when you are at work, or about any other business for that matter? I mean, really? Surely its more like a privilege, or a bauble, if it can only be accessed at certain times of day?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You do not have to go to work. You do not have to enter someone elses property.
If you choose to work you have to follow that jobs rules.
Horribly tough concept to grasp.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Well, I am just wondering if there are any other rights, that stop being rights just because you happen to be at work, whether the constitution provides that those rights end at the factory door, or whether thats just an invention that people came up with to ensure workers could not protest their circumstances while at work, to make things easier for the controller class.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

originally posted by: Onslaught9966

originally posted by: carewemust
I bet the parents and spectators in the stands were appalled. I would be. No way my high-school son would kneel.

It is so crazy how you flag worshipers don't even realize how programmed you are by the government. It started in school and now you are probably programming your child to do the same.

Another thing that I find interesting is that the whiners and complainers are the same exact people who cry about the constitution and how it is being disrespected, yet will cry about people using their first amendment right.

You call us "worshipers" and Government "programmed".

I call it showing a little respect for the hundreds of thousands who have died fighting for that flag.

So the idiots have the right to ignorantly protest that which they know nothing about.

I say the ones kneeling are the brainwashed, programmed drones.

I'm a veteran and respect these kid's decision to exercise their first amendment rights to protest and free speech, just like our founding fathers intended. When a flag becomes more important than your rights, then you have descended into authoritarianism.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

One does not have to follow the work rules, but then the employer does not have to continue employment.
It does not stop being a right, but one agrees to follow the work rules to continue to be employed.

Have you worked somewhere that a uniform is required? Does that stop your freedom of expression?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Yes I have.

My understanding is that the company does not have a right to insist that I wear those colours, but that its a mere gentlemans agreement between employer and employee, that if neither party make a dick of themselves over the issue, everyone has an easier time.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Well my job has specific uniform requirements. If I choose not to wear the uniform, I will not be employed. As this is a right to work state, the employer does not have to have a reason to let me go.
Perhaps employment law is different over there.

Similarly the football players are told where to be, what to wear, and what behavior is acceptable.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruMcCarthy

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: TruMcCarthy

It's a losing argument to take the position that you don't agree with their reasons so Trump should use his office as POTUS to call for a boycott and/or their firing.

JMO based on my understanding of the first amendment.

No offense, but your understanding is flawed.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Trump has every right to state his opinion.

No offense to you either, but my understanding isn't flawed...or I certainly don't believe it is.

42 U.S. Code § 1983 - Civil action for deprivation of rights:

Every person who, under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia, subjects, or causes to be subjected, any citizen of the United States or other person within the jurisdiction thereof to the deprivation of any rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws, shall be liable to the party injured in an action at law, suit in equity, or other proper proceeding for redress, except that in any action brought against a judicial officer for an act or omission taken in such officer’s judicial capacity, injunctive relief shall not be granted unless a declaratory decree was violated or declaratory relief was unavailable. For the purposes of this section, any Act of Congress applicable exclusively to the District of Columbia shall be considered to be a statute of the District of Columbia.

Link

That would be the code used to file any potential civil claims.

This is why people who sue for the deprivation of civil/Constitutional rights don't have to prove Congress passed some law depriving them of their rights. Simply using a government office/position to deprive someone of a Constitutionally protected right qualifies as deprivation.

If any of these players targeted by Trump are fired, or if people boycott on his suggestion -- and it can be proven with a preponderance of evidence -- then they can file a suit under 42 U.S. Code § 1983.

ETA: And if someone was successful in such a lawsuit, you better believe it could be used as grounds for impeachment. Trump took an Oath to uphold the Constitution.
edit on 9/25/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   

but shouldn't the businesses also have the right to run their business as they see fit. I thought that was a big republican thing...
if so, then they should have the right to run their businesses as they see fit (unless they are bordering on illegality) without undue pressure from the gov't or it's representatives, right???

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Stupid little pawns. Being manipulated into making empty gestures just for the sake of fad.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

yeah that is exactly what the nfl does
that is why certain teams wear certain colors
that is why players get fined when they wear the wrong shoes or gloves
if they dont want to follow the rules the nfl fines or gets rid of them

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
Stupid little pawns. Being manipulated into making empty gestures just for the sake of fad.

It has been pointed out to me that I have the tendency to overthink things. Quite accurately, I will add.

I have a similar feeling about their actions. I respect their right to protest, even though I have trouble understanding the way they are doing it.

When I was a child my father used to say to us that if we were going to fight, fight as if our lives depended on it. He said if you are going to be a thief, don't risk imprisonment for a few hundred, go for the billions. All of his little life lessons added up to mean that if you are going to make a sacrifice, than don't do it half-assed, you give it all you got and you make it worth it.

To me, and I will repeat, to me, it seems like a half-assed measure that will yield no results other than attention and division. I don't think loyalty, respect, or even the flag, has anything to do with it. It is about making a political statement and about manipulation of the masses.

Though I don't agree with the racism that is present in some of the post that comment on some of the more severe problems that affect the poor and disenfranchised, I do agree that if these wealthy athletes, and others, were truly concerned about the inequitable position of those that are victims of inequality, they would be doing something more effective than getting on their knees.

I have not missed the symbol of being on our knees is right were the elite wants us.

edit on 25-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
and.... it seems that they kind of go beyond in this area and even regulates to some extent what the players do in their off hours I believe..
but in this case, the teams for the most part seem to be standing with the players..

and the president of this country doesn't seem to like the message that these players are wanting to express so he applies undue pressure on the teams to take action by suggesting his followers to boycott.
which, seems to solidify the team management even more behind their players, since hey, if the president is successful in this case, who will he be applying undue pressure onto next and for what reason.

part of that flag, part of that constitution, stands also for the freedom of businesses to run the day to day operations of their businesses as they see fit under the restraints of the the gov't regulations that are in place. one can argue that some of these regulations might be a bit over reaching, but still, there is no gov't regulation that dictates weather the teams, or anyone else stands, sits, kneels, or even comes out onto the field for the national anthem...
heck I do believe that you can't even make the kids in school stand for the pledge of allegiance anymore can you??

and, this isn't the first time that the president has targeted a business because they did something he didn't like is it???
you can whine and complain about respecting the flag, the pledge, all you want, but if you aren't respecting the basic foundations of what those things stand for then I am sorry... it's you who have the bigger problem!!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The real protest is that the NFL is no longer being paid by various state and federal agencies to make patriotic displays that, prior to the start of the contracts in 2009 that earned the NFL over $53mil over the next 6 year, never happened. And no one concerned themselves with any of it.

This is simply the NFL players taking the opportunity to use a stage that government propaganda built. I wouldn't doubt it that the NFL wasn't encouraging it as a protest to the loss of a rather lucrative revenue stream where patriotic acts were monetized as a commodity.

And these high schoolers, taking the lead of their professional entertainment heroes, are emulating the same behavior. A behavior that is nothing more than a protest against the lack of propaganda money flowing in from the government.

Its stupid. The whole thing is stupid. I hate my entertainment being politicized. And I hate the fact that since 2007, the federal government is legally allowed to use entertainment to run said propaganda on me. The real story here is being washed under in stupid little fads that are meant to do nothing more than divide us deeper.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

Your employer tells you what "uniform" to wear.
Your employer tells you what building to work at.
Your employer tells you what time to be at work.
None of these are "free speech" issues.

These "protesters" have no free speech rights at work; none of us do. The constitution protects one from the government, not the employer. Don't like your employers job rules you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

In other words, the Flag Code serves as a guide, and it is followed on a voluntary basis. You won't be forced to stand for the National Anthem, nor hauled off to jail if you don't. Cases brought because of something in the code -- mainly ones that involve defacing the flag -- have made their way to the U.S. Supreme Court where the justices have upheld that such conduct is protected by the First Amendment. There are no provisions in the code for either enforcement nor penalties.

www.ajc.com...

As controversy over Kaepernick’s decision spread, the NFL issued a statement over the weekend saying, “Players are encouraged, but not required, to stand during the playing of the National Anthem.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucidparadox
The minute Trump dropped those Tweets and Roger Goddell replied I knew this whole thing would blow up... and in the best way possible. Once Steph Curry, and Lebron replied.. then all the NFL owners as well... IT WAS GLORIOUS!!!!

Trump was right.. he will unify this country. The best way to unify people, is to find a common enemy, and that enemy is Mr. Trump himself!

Everyone's biggest argument was "blah blah blah athletes getting paid millions to play a game due to the flag and this country, how dare they disrespect it, blah blah, blah" and "blah blah ratings blah blah" and "You dont have freedom of speech at work blah blah blah"

Here we have STUDENTS.. KIDS.. of ALLL COLORS.. unifying TOGETHER, kneeling TOGETHER, for one just cause.. to protest the social injustices!

These kids are setting a good example!

Trump didnt expect that his outlandish behavior would fuel the fire, and actually FURTHER the agenda he is opposing, and cause the masses to unite against him. He has gone too far. Now, society is bouncing back!

q13fox.com...

ATTLE — The entire Garfield High School football team, including the coaches, took a knee during the national anthem Friday night before their game against West Seattle High on Friday night to protest “social injustices.” Our news partner The Seattle Times captured the action on video: Garfield High football players kneel during national anthem h After the game, which Garfield won, Garfield High School head football coach Joey Thomas said that "the players decided to do this" to bring attention to "social injustices," emphasizing that it was "a player-driven" move and that his players plan to continue the practice during the anthem before every game "until they tell us to stop." Here is an interview with head coach Joey Thomas: Garfield High School football coach on team kneeling h About four or five players on the West Seattle High School team also knelt during the anthem at the Southwest Athletic Complex in the West Seattle area. Seattle Public Schools issued the following statement: “Students kneeling during the national anthem are expressing their rights protected by the First Amendment. Seattle Public Schools supports all students' right to free speech.” The recent public protests during the national anthem at sports events began a couple of weeks ago when San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback Colin Kaepernick sat during the national anthem to protest racial injustice. After receiving some criticism that he was disrespecting the flag, Kaepernick started kneeling during the anthem. Several other NFL players have also begun kneeling during the anthem. This is believed to be the first time that an entire high school football team knelt during the anthem.

This is truly incredible. I am so proud of those kids, bucking the trend and doing what is right!

The hate wont last much longer. The good will prevail, the revolution is beginning.

"These kids are setting a good example!"

Partisan Politics is being used to stomp on the respect for country and those who serve to keep it free. This is no good example. Check your politics at the door before you post such a poor example and disrespect for the millions that served and lost their life to serve this country. Besides politics has no reason to appear at the sports venue! I'm boycotting sports attendance/viewing until this trend stops. That's my right to protest these morons.
edit on 25-9-2017 by thepixelpusher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That's right, the elite want us fighting among ourselves while they walk out the back door with our money and freedom. How easily manipulated we are!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: stosh64

If you were not so programed yourself, you would understand that no one, in the history of warfare, ever died for a banner, a thing flapping in the breeze, or hanging limp in the still.

They fought for principle, for the people beside them, for the people they left at home. Those who fought for principle, like the freedom to protest at an unreasonable feature of daily existence, for example, would be only too happy to see that people are using the rights that were fought for, rather than allowing those rights to be eroded and destroyed by nationalism and faux patriots, with loud mouths and small minds.

Yes, and that flag represents that struggle. Those that chose to respect that struggle also respect the flag, those who don't give a rats ass about anything but themselves, do what you are advocating.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldtimer2

It's their first amendment right. How can the school stop them ?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join