It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dad lives in Ponce, Puerto Rico. It is completely destroyed.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Still thinking about you. Please let us know when you hear from your family. I worry about this kind of thing, so please let us know. I hope it will be soon. He'll contact you as soon as he can find a way. He knows you are worried.

You are very kind, thank you. I will be sure to update when I hear from him. Hell I will probably post a new thread about how relieved and overjoyed I am that he is alive.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote

Still thinking about you. Please let us know when you hear from your family. I worry about this kind of thing, so please let us know. I hope it will be soon. He'll contact you as soon as he can find a way. He knows you are worried.

You are very kind, thank you. I will be sure to update when I hear from him. Hell I will probably post a new thread about how relieved and overjoyed I am that he is alive.

Good. We will want to know.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

Wishing you and your family a safe reunion and a fast recovery from all of this damage. The last time a Category 4 hurricane hit the island was in the 1930s... this is totally awful. Best wishes to your fam and the whole island/Mediterranean

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
To be honest, I was expecting MASSIVE levels of violence in the wake of the storm. Maybe humans aren't total cap afterall.

Best of luck to your dad.

How old is he?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Thank-goodness major storms of this magnitude only hit Puerto Rico directly, every 85 to 100 years, or so.

Hopefully by the time the next CAT-5 targets Puerto Rico, we'll have weather modification, or other kinds of mechanisms in place to minimize, or totally erase the threat.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thank-goodness major storms of this magnitude only hit Puerto Rico directly, every 85 to 100 years, or so.

Hopefully by the time the next CAT-5 targets Puerto Rico, we'll have weather modification, or other kinds of mechanisms in place to minimize, or totally erase the threat.

I think if scientists start modifying the weather it could become easily out of control and do much worse damage than a hurricane could.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZombieZygote

Contact the red Cross give them your father's name. Odds are good they can find him as they are in the area. And they have contact with their people through shipments and sat phones. They have done this in the past and at least it's worth a try. And I'll pray for you and your family I couldn't imagine going 6 months without power. Effectively US territory became a third world country over night.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Best wishes for you and your familia.

It is my sincere hope that the US government does it's duty to our citizens.

The damage and repercussions are truly frightening.

Again, all the best.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
We are all on the same boat brother. Communication with the island is nearly impossible. It's been 4 days and I know nothing of my family either. And today is my mother's birthday. Damn.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   
It's nothing but opportunity. A good time to start the infrastructure project here and there

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Thats a really tough situation.
I hope your dad is ok.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Just a thought, but you could try to contact the Red Cross. I'm sure they have people on the ground there, and if you try to make locating him a priority, it's possible you could get some news that way.

Either way, prayers for you and your family, I hope the island comes out stronger and better, and the family is all safe.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
let him come live with you as they rebuild the place.

if someone told me 1 month no electricity let alone 6? i would grab everything and bail so quick.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
after billions of tax payer money given to Puerto Rico since they came under our protection and they are still just a 3rd world nation. I would be questioning the corruption of their government that has been putting the money in their pockets rather than a first class system.

Once I heard that their electric grid prior to the Hurricane was held together MacGyver style, tells me that our hard earned tax money given to Puerto Rico has been doing nothing but pad the4 pockets of the rich and not put where the money was supposed to go.

Wont be any congressional hearings on where that money went that is for sure.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Dembow

Not one HAM radio and pedal generator on the island apparently. Should be part of all the island nations national survival kit.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hope you can find out about your loved ones. Must be heart wrenching not knowing. I cannot imagine.

Getting in touch with the Red Cross is your best bet

They have a website Safe and Well where residents register for the loved ones to search for them. That's if they know about it and registered. Possibly if they ended up in a hospital or a shelter they might have been put on the list. Worth a shot Its advised to keep trying if you find nothing.

Take a look at this Page. It has a few ways to try searching

Puerto Rico's Federal Affairs Administration asked friends and family members to call 202-778-0710 to check on the status of loved ones, although this option might not be possible in the U.S. territory considering the number of downed cell phone towers and phone lines.....

....Contact the island’s disaster relief team by e-mailing [email protected]. Because of high volume, officials ask that you only send one email — no follow-ups — unless the status of your loved one has changed. Include your contact information and as many details about your family member or friend as possible.

Try old fashioned letter post!
.....If the disaster relief effort has gone on for several weeks, consider sending them a letter, as mail may be getting forwarded.

Best of luck
edit on 24-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

Puerto Rico was supposed to have first class infrastructure after all it has been getting billions of the US tax payers money for many years now. And only now we here that the electrical system (one of other systems) failed. Knocked down poles ane blown transformers are expected but the grid itself was already limpin' prior to the hurricane and that tells me some 'splainin' has to be done.

The water system, the sewage system and even public hospitals all should have been first calls by now, after all they have been receiving millions of dollars in US mainland tax money over all these years.

Maybe we should be looking to whether or not Puerto Rico should be under our protection anymore. They are one of the reason we are in 20 trillion dollars in debt.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
after billions of tax payer money given to Puerto Rico since they came under our protection and they are still just a 3rd world nation. I would be questioning the corruption of their government that has been putting the money in their pockets rather than a first class system.

Once I heard that their electric grid prior to the Hurricane was held together MacGyver style, tells me that our hard earned tax money given to Puerto Rico has been doing nothing but pad the4 pockets of the rich and not put where the money was supposed to go.

Wont be any congressional hearings on where that money went that is for sure.

Their government is our government why do people think it's a separate country???????

Having been there a couple of times I can day it was a absolutely gorgeous. They had everything you do it by no means was a third world country. And 6hey are US citizens we are talking about. The problem is two hurricanes slammed in to it weeks apart. The destruction appears to be heavy I heard 90 percent of the buildings were destroyed. And looks like 6 months before they even get back power.

Your information was just wrong the problem was just like Florida the power grid took a major hit the name difference however is that even polls holding the electric lines were destroyed. They also can't just send people to repair them like Florida who received help from other states. Tennessee alone sent 400 lineman not to mention Texas Alabama georgia and virginia.

I got caught in that mess visiting relatives and got a chance to meet some lineman from Tennessee at a gas station when they saw I had Tennessee tags.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
My heat goes out to these people, it's going to be a long hard road to recovery.
I hope your father is alive and well and simply unable to communicate.
If there is any good to be had from this it will be that the people will learn to appreciate the little things we all take for granted and work together to put their lives together again.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join