It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My dad lives in Ponce, Puerto Rico. It is completely destroyed.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+32 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Hurricane Maria has left untold devastation in its wake on the island of Puerto Rico. Nearly all of my family on my dad's side live there in San Juan and Ponce. I have been keeping a close eye on the situation, but news is so slow to trickle out because the power infrastructure has been destroyed. The island and its 3.4 million residents are facing the very possible bleak reality of six entire months before power is completely restored.

Thankfully I have heard from my family in San Juan and they are alive, although the house will need serious repairs. I have NOT, however, heard from my dad. I have just found out that his neighborhood has completely flooded from the nearby river. His house is likely destroyed, or flooded beyond repair. I don't even know if he is still alive. I am basically in shock at this point, this is all so hard for me to process and seems unbelievable at times. It could be MONTHS before I can even hear from him. If he is alive.

Anyway, I'm mainly just posting this to vent some of my extreme worry. If any of you awesome people know anyone who lives on the island, my true and heartfelt condolences go out to you and your loved ones. Us Puerto Ricans are a proud and stubborn people, and I know that one day the island will be restored to its beautiful and busy little island paradise.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ZombieZygote

I have been watching videos on this and it is sad. I see the dam they were worried about is failing.. My heart goes out to the people there.

edit on 23-9-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: Had to be done.

edit on 23-9-2017 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Hope all turns out as well as possible. Prayers for all affected.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

My dad has lived on the island nearly his entire life, and has been through two category three hurricanes in his time there. Maria made them look like a brief gust of wind.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I was watching some of the interviews and there was this old woman who said she too had never seen anything like this. She said the wind just never stopped. I should try and find that.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Can't imagine what you're going through. Thoughts and prayers with you and family. Hopefully your dad is okay and you connect with him soon

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth

Hope all turns out as well as possible. Prayers for all affected.

Thank you very much. Me too.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Health
Can't imagine what you're going through. Thoughts and prayers with you and family. Hopefully your dad is okay and you connect with him soon

I really appreciate your well wishes. I really hope I hear from him soon.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
They named their expressway after JFK.

I feel bad now.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

you people know anyone who lives on the island, my true and heartfelt condolences go out to you and your loved ones.

My condolences too, Zombie. I hope you get word soon that your father is safe.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

God bless, my heart and prayers for your father

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I will pray for your dad and hoping you hear from him soon. Praying for all people affected lately by these storms.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I have family in St. Martin. They lost all power and communication there, and here in Florida, I lost power for a week and I still have no phone service.

I know the anxiety, the apprehension and the uncertainty that you must be feeling. It was over a week before we finally got the news that they were alive and doing fine.

Some damage to the house and a lot of damage to the business, but the important part is that they are alive and safe.

I will pray for you and your family, and I hope that we at ATS can provide you with a comforting place to vent your worries and maybe even be able to share some information that you find useful.
edit on 23-9-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I've been through a storm like this so I can empathize-and I wish your father the best.

For those who have never been through a hurricane, cyclone or typhoon of that strength it's like a nuke was dropped-the damage was that great. A house a block down the road was there one day and was literally gone the next. I used cinder blocks from my driveway and the dead and drying branches to make a fireplace.

I hope your father can Macguyver something like that because it will help as it takes weeks to restore power, and he may want to cook any unused meat he has before it is spoiled and share it with the community. The one good thing is that events like this bring people together and will work together.

While I won't pray for your father, I will say the force will be with him.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

DO you think Your Dad may have gone to one of the shelters? Has the Red Cross or a similar crisis organization set up any type of communications for families to reach out to loved ones? I would call the Red Cross in your area and see if anything like this has been setup for your Dad's area.

Prays and love your way.
Missie

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Have friends with family there, not sure exactly where. They said donate to Catholic Relief Charities if we didn't do Red Cross.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Missmissie173

DO you think Your Dad may have gone to one of the shelters? Has the Red Cross or a similar crisis organization set up any type of communications for families to reach out to loved ones? I would call the Red Cross in your area and see if anything like this has been setup for your Dad's area.

Prays and love your way.
Missie

Thank you for the info, I will check with the Red Cross. Well when Irma was expected to hit hard he just boarded up his windows prepared to stay in the house. I'm assuming he did the same with Maria, as he is quite stubborn.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Thank you very much. It must be quite surreal to experience something like that.

Also I am not religious so I appreciate the Star Wars reference.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
I have family in St. Martin. They lost all power and communication there, and here in Florida, I lost power for a week and I still have no phone service.

I know the anxiety, the apprehension and the uncertainty that you must be feeling. It was over a week before we finally got the news that they were alive and doing fine.

Some damage to the house and a lot of damage to the business, but the important part is that they are alive and safe.

I will pray for you and your family, and I hope that we at ATS can provide you with a comforting place to vent your worries and maybe even be able to share some information that you find useful.

I appreciate your kind words. I am happy to hear that your family is okay. You are right, the anxiety and frustration of not knowing is terrible.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Still thinking about you. Please let us know when you hear from your family. I worry about this kind of thing, so please let us know. I hope it will be soon. He'll contact you as soon as he can find a way. He knows you are worried.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join