It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Honestly the lover of chaos in me hopes all nfl players kneel tomorrow.

The tired and annoyed part of me hopes they ignore this and we all move on.

Either way I support whatever they do.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Yes. I said nothing about assuming anything.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yes. I said nothing about assuming anything.

Ok so now you are changing the issue.

Yes is suppose talking to someone who has claimed to experience racism would offer a different perpective, regardless of their color.

I have no idea why that applies to our discussion about talking to black people.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

That's ok. Don't.
It was just a suggestion.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

That's ok. Don't.
It was just a suggestion.

And perhaps a suggestion to you.

Try not to focus so much on skin color when deciding on who to talk to.

And for a bonus, try not to conflate being black with automatically experiencing racism.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Try not to focus so much on skin color when deciding on who to talk to.
I don't. Where I live that would prove to be problematic even if I wanted to do so.

And for a bonus, try not to conflate being black with automatically experiencing racism.
I don't. But it's been my experience that the blacks I have spoken to about it have done so, at various levels.
edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Taking on the NFL and the NBA?

Nothing but net...

Russia, Russia, Russia (said like, Marcia, Marcia, Marcia - Brady, for those age-deprived.)

Trump is nuts. He is running out of groups to attack.

Source

ETA: Mother to Mother, the following is my favorite response to Trump.

Teresa Kaepernick — mother of former San Francisco 49ers player Colin Kaepernick — responded to President Donald Trump’s remarks in Alabama on Friday night in which he said that NFL owners should “get that son-of-a-b*tch off the field” when players protest by taking a knee during the national anthem.

“Guess I’m a proud b*tch,” said Ms. Kaepernick, who is white and is Colin Kaepernick’s adopted mother.

Source
edit on 23-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Some of the responses from those in the NFL to Trumps comments:

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell calls Trump's comments "divisive"
www.cbsnews.com...

Oh.

Green Bay Packers CEO: Trump's remarks on NFL 'divisive'
thehill.com...

Same thing?

Eagles’ Jeffrey Lurie releases statement in response to Donald Trump comments

The Eagles have several players who demonstrate during the national anthem, including starting safety and team captain Malcolm Jenkins.

Lurie has shown support for Jenkins and his cause. I think it’s safe to say the Eagles owner won’t be firing him any time soon.

hmmm
www.bleedinggreennation.com...

uhuh.

Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch:

"Comments like we heard last night from the president are inappropriate, offensive and divisive. We are proud of our players..."

touchdownwire.usatoday.com...

And the list goes on.

I agree with Trump supporters and apologists here on one thing. Freedom of speech does not give you free reign in private business. We've seen this with facebook posts, twitter comments, that have gotten people fire over the years. This is true. However it certainly looks like those in the NFL are standing firm with these players kneeling in protest. They're not going away anything soom.. in fact if anything Trump just motivated more to start kneeling.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Deny Arrogance

Some.

Ok, so most of the Mexicans are not good. Is that what he meant? He assumes most of them are rapists but some aren't?

The same with SOME White Supremacists and SOME Neo Nazis are fine people!

DUH!

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Yeah, I didn't mean "wing of posters" as in "right wing posters". I meant more like a "branch/subsection/group" of posters. You've been putting in some good work in this thread and others, so I didn't mean to associate you w/my statements on that.

As for free speech, I've always said that I don't believe that all speech should be free speech. I usually use libel, slander, threats, copyright/patent infringement, classified info, & trade secrets as examples of publicly accepted limitations on speech.

But like I said in my post, I feel like I'm in some alternate reality because of the blatant contradictions between "free speech for Nazis & Nazi sympathizers" and "those football players should shut up or get fired".

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Let capitalism rule here. Boycott it if you dont like it, buy it if you do. Enjoy it either way. I used to watch NFL football but years ago I stopped when the criminals were rampant in those leagues from DV, Murder, Gang Banging, and now politics. No thanks.

IMHO Keep taking a knee and you will loose the league.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Add the NCAA champion North Carolina men's basketball team to that list.

North Carolina’s 2017 national championship men’s basketball team will not visit the White House, a team spokesman said on Saturday, though the Tar Heels were invited to visit, as is the custom for teams that win college men’s basketball and football national championships.

UNC national championship team not visiting White House

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Its starting all over. Here in Baseball

Stevie Wonder Interrupts Concert To ‘Take A Knee’ For America
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Today I am proud to be an American

LONG LIVE FREEDOM!!!!

edit on 24-9-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Everybody clear here at 1 pm today when they start the anthem at those football games go to one knew

just do it for a second if you want

symbolic of the freedom we love and cherish

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
Fake Outrage. This is America, we were founded on protest and revolution and pissing people off! That's what we do! We don't stand for that PC Crap and we have the freedom to do whatever the heck we want to do, whenever the heck we want to do it!

Trump seems like a communist dictator. "Protest me and you will be ruined" is in essence what hes' saying here.

Our Veterans fought for this right to protest. Doesn't he get this?

Amen. And to add to that...let those that protest the "oppressed" protestors continue to do the same and just shut the TV off, stop paying for their ridiculous $360 a year NFL Sunday Ticket, and stop buying their merchandise.

It is funny to me how many people get angry at me for protesting these players by not watching them. It seems protest is only ok if you support their protest rather than conduct your own personal protest. I don't agrre with their protest....why in the hell would I pay to support it? When I tell somebody I am not watching these overpaid oppressed millioniares any longer it usually starts an argument that they have a right to protest. And I always answer back that "they most certainly do....and so do I."
edit on 24-9-2017 by Assessor because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

It's hard to recall a POTUS who poured as much fuel on the fire. Bush's post-9/11 'war on terror' springs to mind although he was spurred by a national traumatic event. It'll be interesting to see if Trump's approach makes this non-problem go away or become a forest fire. Then again, it'll be interesting to see where Twitter will take him next.

He should have a big list on the refrigerator door >>> Things I need to be involved in and things to leave alone.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Even with the War on Terror, Bush was still stately enough to continue holding the annual dinners for Eid Al-Fitr after Ramadan & to declare things like:

"The face of terror is not the true faith of Islam. That's not what Islam is all about. Islam is peace. These terrorists don't represent peace. They represent evil and war."

and:

"The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself. The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them."

and:

"We see in Islam a religion that traces its origins back to God's call on Abraham. We share your belief in God's justice, and your insistence on man's moral responsibility. We thank the many Muslim nations who stand with us against terror. Nations that are often victims of terror, themselves."

and:

"Some of the comments that have been uttered about Islam do not reflect the sentiments of my government or the sentiments of most Americans. Islam, as practiced by the vast majority of people, is a peaceful religion, a religion that respects others. Ours is a country based upon tolerance and we welcome people of all faiths in America."

All quotes and many more are listed in this archive from the White House's website when Bush was President (found here).

Now contrast that with Trump's constant rhetoric & literal twitter feuds. For all of his faults, Bush was 100 times the statesman that our current president is. ETA: And yes, he definitely needs a list of priorities. A President should never have to resort to twitter wars. It's just petty.
edit on 24-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I've softened from the left-wing hardass I was back in 2001. Bit of Right, bit of Left, lot of 'moderate.' Greying hairs bring a different perspective.

Whereas I used to see Bush as an existential threat, hindsight has altered the view. He and Clinton were interviewed by Jon Snow recently and they both came across as friends and statesmen. It struck me as a curiosity how times have changed and divisive figures from the past seem more reasonable today. Obviously the contrast is way starker today.

Here we are and your quotes of Bush show we're on similar pages. Bush is now a statesman who could offer Trump some advice.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The funny thing is he was getting better last week. He actually appeared more presidential at one point. It seems like he was actually listening to his advisors (like compromising with the Dems, posting carefully online for a bit) and then this again? It's almost as if he can't contain himself for long. Back to square one I guess.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I agree. There have been periods when he appeared to be more unifying than divisive and began to show the traits of leadership.

new topics

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join