It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

No i don't think that a person's skin color gives them a unique perspective.

Really?
You think that being subjected to racism would have no influence on one's world view.

Sheriff David Clark is black, and hates bom and thinks the idea of racist police is ridiculous.
Yeah, I've heard him before. Seems like a dick to me, but not just because of that.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: seagull

If I use my free speech to condemn the U.S., I am not being patriotic.

How does that work? One can be patriotic and still condemn actions taken by my country, if I deem them to be not in its best interests.

Because right or wrong, it's still the country my ancestors helped build with their tears, their sweat, and all too often, their blood, and lives.

The funny thing is the Foxcons are the ones who want to control the free speech.

Yes remember them rioting over and over again to stop conservative speakers on campuses?

Oh wait...

The anarchist?

Why bring Obama into it?

Why bring Clinton into it?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   

How does that work? One can be patriotic and still condemn actions taken by my country, if I deem them to be not in its best interests.

Because right or wrong, it's still the country my ancestors helped build with their tears, their sweat, and all too often, their blood, and lives.

Of course there are many ways to be patriotic.

But merely protesting does not automatically make someone patriotic.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

No, no it doesn't. In that we're agreed. I misunderstood your point. Mea Culpa.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Defending someones right to protest sure as sht is patriotic And every vet family member I have has said the same thing."I fought to give anyone in this country the right to kneel"
edit on 23-9-2017 by bknapple32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Of course there are many ways to be patriotic.

But merely protesting does not automatically make someone patriotic.

At least you said protesting is a form of being patriotic.

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Who is they?
I should start drinking.

link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves
a reply to: seasonal

Drinking on a Saturday are ya, now?

I can assist, even while kneeling.
Source

Nope, talking about this little sweetheart.

Social Justice Rap Video Shows Little White Boy Being Hung – It’s Come To This Now?
rightwingnews.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DancedWithWolves
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Who is they?
I should start drinking.

Was talking to Grambler LOL.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

That's not the point.

The point is that referencing that one study, which I'm sure is credible still applies to just Houston and only Houston.

At no point is there the claim that it should then be understood to be applied universally to everywhere.

He also points out that overall his data shows that blacks and Hispanics are by and large cuffed, abused and harassed by law enforcement at a much higher rate even when they are obeying the law and he also points out that prejudice in law enforcement is very real and harmful for anyone who doubts it is a problem.

But I keep seeing people throw it out there like it should end any idea that Law Enforcement overwhelmingly does target minorities. It doesn't.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Actually the study I linked doesn’t say anything like that. I linked the study directly from Harvard.

Are you going on Business Insider’s interpretation?

Page 22 of the study.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Sorry, I can't follow that link. Bad things.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No i don't think that a person's skin color gives them a unique perspective.

Really?
You think that being subjected to racism would have no influence on one's world view.

Sheriff David Clark is black, and hates bom and thinks the idea of racist police is ridiculous.
Yeah, I've heard him before. Seems like a dick to me, but not just because of that.

Again here you go assuming just because of someone skin color, they must have been the victim of racism.

link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You may be surprised to find out it doesn’t say what some claim.

Here’s a link to the Harvard study.

For example:

In the raw data, blacks and Hispanics are more than fifty percent more likely to have an interaction with police which involves any use of force. Accounting for baseline demographics such as age and gender, encounter characteristics such as whether individuals supplied identification or whether the interaction occurred in a high- or low- crime area, or civilian behaviors does little to alter the race coefficient

and

Interestingly, as the intensity of force increases (e.g. handcuffing civilians without arrest, draw- ing or pointing a weapon, or using pepper spray or a baton), the probability that any civilian is subjected to such treatment is small, but the racial difference remains surprisingly constant. For instance, 0.26 percent of interactions between police and civilians involve an officer drawing a weapon; 0.02 percent involve using a baton. These are rare events. Yet, the results indicate that they are significantly more rare for whites than blacks. In the raw data, blacks are 21.3 percent more likely to be involved in an interaction with police in which at least a weapon is drawn than whites and the difference is statistically significant. Adding our full set of controls reduces the racial difference to 19.4 percent

and in direct contradiction to claims made here ...

In stark contrast to non-lethal uses of force, we find no racial differences in officer-involved shootings on either the extensive or intensive margins. Using data from Houston, Texas – where we have both officer-involved shootings and a randomly chosen set of potential interactions with police where lethal force may have been justified – we find, in the raw data, that blacks are 23.8 percent less likely to be shot at by police relative to whites. Hispanics are 8.5 percent less likely. Both coefficients are statistically insignificant. Adding controls for civilian demographics, officer demographics, encounter characteristics, type of weapon civilian was carrying, and year fixed effects, the black (resp. Hispanic) coefficient is 0.924 (0.417) (resp. 1.256 (0.595)). These coefficients are remarkably robust across alternative empirical specifications and subsets of the data. Partitioning the data in myriad ways, we find no evidence of racial discrimination in officer-involved shootings

link   

The funny thing is the Foxcons are the ones who want to control the free speech.

Yes remember them rioting over and over again to stop conservative speakers on campuses?

Oh wait...

The anarchist?

Why bring Obama into it?

Why bring Clinton into it?

Two antichrists?

Noooooo!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: bknapple32

Defending someones right to protest sure as sht is patriotic And every vet family member I have has said the same thing."I fought to give anyone in this country the right to kneel"

Well I agre with that.

I am saying just protesting doesn't make you patriotic.

Defending free speech even when you disagree with it does.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Again here you go assuming just because of someone skin color, they must have been the victim of racism.

That's not what I said. Is it?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Well as you can see I mentioned all of those other things in my discussing of the study.

Again, this should be looked into.

But we should demand eveidence from the crowd saying unarmed blacks are being targeted and shot by police.

I am open to see it.

So far we have one study that shows at least i, Houston unarmed whites are 20 percent more likely to be shot.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

That's not what I said. Is it?

Well we were discussing if i should talk to black people, and then you said being a victim of racism gives a perspective.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Dbl post

edit on 23-9-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join