It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh if you read my post history I do mention this study says that in fact when it comes to things like handcuffing, using other forms of violence blacks are more likely to have it done by police.

Nevertheless, the bulk of the protests seem to be about unarmed blacks being shot, and the results show unarmed whites are more likely to be shot.

What I wish the NFL protests would do is lead to an honest discussion, not one where both sides start on the belief the other is evil or morally corrupt.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

What I wish the NFL protests would do is lead to an honest discussion, not one where both sides start on the belief the other is evil or morally corrupt.

Indeed. That should be the idea behind any protest. Drawing attention to a problem.

edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

originally posted by: Grambler

I agree that the homicide conviction rate for blacks is higher than for whites. I wonder how that would breakdown by location.

That discussion was about arrests in general. Wasn't it?

The fbi nbers track only arrests, not convictions.

I wish I wasn't on mobile I would link them.

Ok, so again, more arrests of blacks. That's not being argued.

Ok so what point are you trying to make?

Are you suggesting the somehow the fbi numbers don't paint a full picture because the arrests are prejudiced.

Again, the victimization numbers also show that blacks are around 50percent of homicide victims. Thalia suggests that blacks probably comitted most of those crimes.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Since I hadn't heard the story... Kinda hard to say anything.

He has the right to say his say. That's to say nothing about future consequences for saying your say.

I'm going to assume he's under a contract of some sort, or was, and there are certain rules in it...? I don't know.

I don't believe he broke any rules, but you are right.

The employer, who was the owner of the team clevenger played for, decided his comments would be bad for business, and so they let him go.

Which is fine.

The double standard is all of the people in the sports media that cry foul about kaepernick not having a job, but said nothing about clevenger.

This is because them it's not about free speech, but speech they agree with.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Are you suggesting the somehow the fbi numbers don't paint a full picture because the arrests are prejudiced.
Not entirely, but partially.

Thalia suggests that blacks probably comitted most of those crimes.
Who is Thalia? Perhaps, looking at the locations of the crimes rather than the race of the perpetrators would be more instructive in determining the causes.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Not entirely, but partially.

Thalia suggests that blacks probably comitted most of those crimes.
Who is Thalia? Perhaps, looking at the locations of the crimes rather than the race of the perpetrators would be more instructive.

Yes absolutely!

People take the raw fbi numbers and try to demonize black people which is wrong.

I would contend that when we take out hi gang areas and look at blacks and whites, I bet the violent crime numbers are similar.

This is because the numbers for blacks are skewed so much from violent gang areas.

The majority of the police shootings also occur in these areas.

Hence I think it's less about race, and more about neighborhoods.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be critical of police shootings, but I feel pointing the finger at racism is not accurate for the best majority of the time.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't be critical of police shootings, but I feel pointing the finger at racism is not accurate for the best majority of the time.

I'm not black, and I take it that you aren't either. So placing ourselves in that position is problematic.

There seems to be a certain amount of evidence that blacks are not treated the same way as whites by police, even when outside of high crime areas. I don't know, maybe they're lying about that.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Indeed. That should be the idea behind any protest. Drawing attention to a problem.

Yes but what is the problem.

Eric holder once stated that this country was too cowardly to have a conversation about race.

What he meant was that we need to have a conversation that he approved of.

These players, in my opion, are drawing attention to police being racist in shooting unarmed black men, and I don't believe that is accurate.

This isn't particularly helpful.

For example, i could protest to draw attention to the problem of the police being sexists against men because 95percent of the people they shoot are men.

This is true, but my focus on it being about sexism stops a real conversation from happening.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

I'm not black, and I take it that you aren't either. So placing ourselves in that position is problematic.

There seems to be a certain amount of evidence that blacks are not treated the same way as whites by police, even when outside of high crime areas. I don't know, maybe they're lying about that.

Your and my skin color has nothing to do with it.

Look at it this way.

Some people of other races feel that blacks are more violent based on the crime numbers. Blacks may correctly point out there are many factors that go into those numbers.

Would you suggest because these people are black they are not in a position to discuss how non blacks feel?

People have the right to FEEL any way they want.

We should look at the facts though to see if those feelings are based on reality.

I feel that on the issue of unarmed blacks being killed by racist police at large levels, they are wrong.

However, I respect their feelings and would be more than happy to have a conversation with them or anyone else about it.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: underwerks

See-through walls?

Really?

That must be a joke.

I definitely laughed about it, but I don't think it's a joke.

I think "see through wall" is just a fancy way of saying chain link fence.

Well, that will keep them damn immigrants out...a chain link fence.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Your and my skin color has nothing to do with it.
I disagree.

However, I respect their feelings and would be more than happy to have a conversation with them or anyone else about it.
Go for it.

But since Kaepernick doesn't even have a job, this seems to go beyond his protest.

While the group knelt behind the bench, several other players placed a hand on a kneeling teammate's shoulder in support.

"There's a lot of racial and social injustices in the world that are going on right now," rookie safety Jabrill Peppers said after the Browns' second win in two preseason games. "We just decided to take a knee and pray for the people who have been affected and just pray for the world in general."

Players said linebacker Christian Kirksey led the prayer.

"We did it out of respect," Kirksey said. "No disrespect for anyone, we just felt like it was the right time and the need to do it."

www.espn.com...

But Trump's rant played well with his base. It's all about that bass, bout that bass.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sure it's about more than kaepernick.

You mentions trumps base.

Well most of the media, hollywood, sports world, and even politicians have been ignoring that base for years.

Culture routinely tells us about things like cops shooting blacks, they tell us about the problems of illegals, and other group's.

Those in flyover country, they are just deploreables. Or they cling to their guns and bibles.

And yes, many in this group like the NFL, and they don't want that to be yet another area of culture that beats them over the head with the exact same message all of those other group's give.

So trump speaks to them.

Just like Obama was speaking to his base when he talked about race issues at a police funeral when a killer spewing hate about racist cops killed 5 officers.

Such is the nature of politics.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
so, does it feel good, wearing the shoe on the other foot?? I bet its quite pleasant. Now enjoy seven more years !

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
so, does it feel good, wearing the shoe on the other foot?? I bet its quite pleasant. Now enjoy seven more years !

Let’s follow your erstwhile logic through, eh?

Logically in your mythos, I would love having an SJW for a President ... but for folks like you , well.... he’s your great white hope.
edit on 23-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

So trump speaks to them.

Obviously.
Thing is, the country consists of more than them.

Obama? Why? He's not president.
But his base was somewhat larger than Trumps.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

So trump speaks to them.

Obviously.
Thing is, the country consists of more than them.

Absolutely.

It does include them though, and they have been absolutely ignored by popular culture and politicians and media for a long time.

Just last week we got to hear the Emmys talk down to them.

They are deplorable, they cling to guns and bibles.

And now when a pokitican speaks to them, the group's I mentioned before are disgusted.

Maybe had those groups made an effort to include these deplorables before, trump wouldn't have won.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

And now when a pokitican speaks to them, the group's I mentioned before are disgusted.
No. Those groups have been disgusted since he was elected. Since before that, actually.

Maybe had those groups made an effort to include these deplorables before, trump wouldn't have won.
Yup. Even the Republicans.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The last President I had hope in ended up being worse than the guy before him! I see our current leader as a vast improvement in regard to our future as the United States of America. True story.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

No. Those groups have been disgusted since he was elected.

Yup. Even the Republicans.

Yep especially republicans.

Point is hollywood, academia, and even the media are heavily left wing.

The people making up trumps base have been laughed at, mocked, and demonized for years.

And most of the establishment republicans constantly lied to them.

And now the chickens have come home to roost.

Now I would still like to see trump speak to all americans, but that's how a felt with obama, bush, etc.

It's tragic that instead of these groups reflecting on how they should stop mocking trumps base and treating them like crap, they are doubling down.

edit on 23-9-2017 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
The last President I had hope in ended up being worse than the guy before him! I see our current leader as a vast improvement in regard to our future as the United States of America. True story.

Isn’t that cute. Good luck with it!

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join