It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump-BOYCOTT NFL teams whose players refuse to stand for the National Anthem

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

www.huffingtonpost.com...

In an interview with ABC News Wednesday afternoon, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., called for talk radio host Don Imus to be fired, and said he would never again appear on his show, which is broadcast on CBS Radio and MSNBC television.

“I understand MSNBC has suspended Mr. Imus,” Obama told ABC News, “but I would also say that there’s nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude.”

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

And you think the two are comparable? Is Barack Obama POTUS?

edit on 9/23/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler
I agree that the homicide conviction rate for blacks is higher than for whites. I wonder how that would breakdown by location.

That discussion was about arrests in general. Wasn't it?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Right.
We know that you think that a silent protest is just as bad as the things that Imus and Rocker have said.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
How about if you're white in a black neighborhood? Does the same thing apply? Who's more likely to be arrested, would you say?

If your white in a black neighborhood, you are about as much or more likely to be harassed and beaten by the neighborhood citizens than a black person in a white neighborhood being harassed by police. I have been a victim of this myself, but I don't take it personally. I just had to fight who I could and run when the rats overran me with numbers.

I swear some cowards just look for a reason. Well those were the early 2000's and pretty much the last time this city had those kind of problems. Plus I was a teenager so I guess I was looking for trouble too sometimes.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

If your white in a black neighborhood, you are about as much or more likely to be harassed and beaten by the neighborhood citizens than a black person in a white neighborhood being harassed by police.

But we were talking about who was more likely to be arrested in the case of a crime having been committed.

edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
Trump doesn't even need to boycott the NFL because the fan base is already doing it. Stadiums are half-empty and it's ratings are crashing. This whole Kaepernick thing has hit them in the wallet... HARD.

The NFL is getting hammered after another game was played in a half-empty stadium

Good. Hopefully even more take their time and money elsewhere.

I don't even care much about the kneeling, I've just grown to despise the American franchise sports industry which forces local tax payers to fund gigantic stadiums, only to see the owners tell the fan base to F off and move the team. NFL is dead to me now that the Raiders are leaving.

Plus the commercials. Every time I scratch my ass there's another commercial. Games take 3.5 hours. I hope this sport dies. European football is where it's at.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog

Kaspersky

That's the Russian software company that the US government says they shouldn't use anymore. Isn't it?

Thanks , believe it or not I was thinking about Kaspersky when I typed that
However , there are certain similarities

edit on 9/23/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

I agree that the homicide conviction rate for blacks is higher than for whites. I wonder how that would breakdown by location.

The fbi nbers track only arrests, not convictions.

I wish I wasn't on mobile I would link them.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
What do you call a person who thinks they can make another person lose their job because they don't agree with their politics?

A social justice warrior, right? Isn't that one of the major complains from "the right"?

Well, I guess Mr. Trump is Chief Social Justice Warrior, after last night, eh?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

And you think the two are comparable? Is Barack Obama POTUS?

Yes they are comparable.

You just agree with one and not the otjer, but both were calling on people to be fired for actions they didn't like.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hey, I just want to apologize for earlier suggesting some posters didn't have a valued opinion. That was wrong ad I'm sorry.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Hey, I just want to apologize for earlier suggesting some posters didn't have a valued opinion. That was wrong ad I'm sorry.

We all get caught up in the heat of the moment. Especially when we think we're right about a matter that is important to us.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Right.
We know that you think that a silent protest is just as bad as the things that Imus and Rocker have said.

Imus made a joke as an entertainer, Rocker gave an interview during the off season. I think making a spectacle of yourself on company time and on the company's platform week after week after damn week, making yourself the story rather than the game, the reason you're there in the first place, is ridiculous.

We will see how this works out for the NFL, I suppose. Pretty sure owners won't tolerate losing money over a handful of employee's convenient principles, though. Let's also not kid ourselves here, to date nobody really notable is in on this. We've yet to see a Tom Brady, JJ Watt, Antonio Brown, Beckham Jr, etc participate. An owner may think twice before benching or firing a LeVeon Bell or Julio Jones, but Duke Johnson Jr or (as we've seen) Colin Kaepernick, not so much... it also isn't happening much in more historically patriotic leaning cities. There's a difference between doing this in Cleveland or Oakland and players doing it in, say, Dallas or Boston.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
What do you call a person who thinks they can make another person lose their job because they don't agree with their politics?

A social justice warrior, right? Isn't that one of the major complains from "the right"?

Well, I guess Mr. Trump is Chief Social Justice Warrior, after last night, eh?

This is behavior in the workplace, not politics.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The study focused on Houston because it had the most complete dataset. The study concerned what happened after a stop had been made. Here's what the man who conducted it said about it.

Mr. Fryer: I agree that blacks are more likely to be stopped, more likely to be harassed and more likely to be arrested.

Ideally we would be able to set up an experiment to understand potential differences before an encounter. Unfortunately, that would require us to randomly assign civilian race in encounters of police, which isn’t possible!

Given this limitation, we need to make the best out of available data. There are two important things I want to note:

1. The types of encounters that lead to police shootings in the videos that we have all seen are not the most common that actually occur in the data. In Houston, for instance, most of the officer-involved shootings come from calls for service resulting from burglaries or violent crimes, not from chasing down people with broken taillights.

2. I totally agree that deciding who to stop in a police stop is highly problematic and there certainly may be racial bias in that decision. So let’s think about the officer-involved shootings in which there’s a robbery in progress or a violent crime. Those are less likely to be plagued by selection bias in the decision of who to harass or stop. Analyzing only those cases yields similar results. Moreover, when we analyze only cases in which the officer-involved shooting began with a routine stop or a traffic stop, we do not find bias. But these results are susceptible to your point that there’s more traffic stops of blacks.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Here is a compromise I am sure we can agree on.

How about we stop giving federal dollars to the NFL for patriotic celebrations?

I don't really want to see people kneeling during the anthem, but I also don't want to be beat over the head with patriotism, particularly at the tax payers expense.

I would be just fine with a high schooler singing the anthem for free, and getting on with the game.

I try to honor the country by being thankful for my life, and trying to live my life in an honorable way, i don't need the NFL taking tax dollars to show me how.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

The fbi nbers track only arrests, not convictions.

I wish I wasn't on mobile I would link them.

Ok, so again, more arrests of blacks. That's not being argued.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Since I hadn't heard the story... Kinda hard to say anything.

He has the right to say his say. That's to say nothing about future consequences for saying your say.

I'm going to assume he's under a contract of some sort, or was, and there are certain rules in it...? I don't know.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: Gryphon66

I try to honor the country by being thankful for my life, and trying to live my life in an honorable way, i don't need the NFL taking tax dollars to show me how.

Absolute agreement on this point. Also, I'd like our money back from Exxon, BP, Shell, Ford, Boeing, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join