It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Ancestors Didn’t Sleep Like You

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have interrupted sleep and I just figured it was a health problem.

feel better about it now. thanks for all the info

wonder if this includes an afternoon nap?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm sure the onset of the industrial age where people worked 12-14 hour days was where it really started to become popularized. You needed that deep sleep just to get through the terrible, long working conditions of the time. My sleep habits are: I sleep when I feel like it. Works great if you don't have any place to be at any certain time.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah
I think he is actually experiencing the ideal natural seep cycle of a human. Similar to the way I slept for a few months when I tried it out.
a reply to: ElGoobero
Afternoon naps are also a good thing. As little as thirty minutes can do wonders! Very welcome addition to the split sleep cycle.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Teenagers to start school at 10am in Oxford University sleep experiment 
Thousands of GCSE students will start lessons an hour later to see if it improves their exam results 
link[/ url] 

[url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/08/06/teen-sleep-school-start/31212457/]Study: Most teens start school too early in morning to get enough sleep 

It´s all about turning you from a natural human into an industry-conform working bee, a robot. 

Glad you added that. Im surprised more people haven't stood up and questioned this.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I read about this a while back, and it was common in Northern Europe. People would go out visiting for a few hours during the night, leaving about two thirty, or closing time. I actually think that would be a good idea.

I tried doing this for about three days, but the rest of society is on a different schedule.

I suppose I could get up and bake bread.

People were more content as well. I saw a news story on it 14 years ago or so. I function far better that way, on my own schedule. Makes me wonder how people who live in places where it's dark six months out of the year, fare with it.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Speak for yourself, I have slept like that all my life, in my younger years I did seek medical advice about it, they didn't seem very concerned which surprised me. It's actually 3:30am here in England right now, I woke up about half an hour ago. I'll read and have a smoke/coffee and go back to sleep in a bit. Lol

It doesn't seem to bother me, I never sleep longer than 5 hours straight, that's if I'm really really drunk. Typical ranges from 1-3 hours, in one sitting. I must say it is a bit strange when you're tired and wake up after only an hour! But I have no problem dropping back off, even after a nice strong coffee.

The biggest problem I've found is when sleeping with women, not everyone agrees with my sleeping pattern! XD

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

I always speak for myself.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I dont sleep in one long chunk any more. Its generally about 2 to 3 hours, awake for about 2 to 3, then asleep for a whopping 8 to 12 hours lol.

I guess im in tune with my ancient side.

Ill tell ya this, i remember a heck of a lot more of my dreams.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The siesta came about because it is just such a dry hot heat at the Equator and lower latitudes, that you can't really do any kind of work. Even eating a meal in that heat will cause exhaustion as your body is trying to keep cool as well as digest a meal. Doing any kind of manual labor runs the same risk of not going swimming after a meal.

At the equator, sunrise is at 6am all year round, and sunset is at 6pm. So that really gives you two windows of time where work can be done. Assuming one hour getting up, there is 7am to 11am and then 1pm to 5pm. That was the timetable used by the ancient Egyptians when making the pyramids.

Some people who move up from Africa to Norway really can't handle those long nights when it gets dark at 3pm and doesn't get light again until 10am. But it's great for doing programming type work.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

I dont sleep in one long chunk any more. Its generally about 2 to 3 hours, awake for about 2 to 3, then asleep for a whopping 8 to 12 hours lol.

I guess im in tune with my ancient side.

Ill tell ya this, i remember a heck of a lot more of my dreams.

Im pretty much the same way with my sleeping patterns. Minus the eight hour stretch of zzz's. That only happens maybe once a week.

The dreams are more intense when Im asleep early in the morning between 4 and 10.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

good to know.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Its always good to take an afternoon nap now and then. Used to have all kinds of sleeping patterns, even for a few years I would literally sleep 4 to 5 hours a night, it sucked, that's for sure. Now just need to make more time for those afternoon naps. Though even that would get boring, after a while.

But ya, contrary to popular believe, a bit more sleep here and there, is always better for you, then to little sleep here and there. If you feel like dozing off throughout the day, its generally a good idea to do so, and its been like that for ages, literally even throughout the animal kingdom, most wild animals even lions and buffalo, spend a great part of there day sleeping. And our caveman brethren, well what do you think they did most of the day, when they weren't moving, they were sleeping, and contrary to popular believe, even when agriculture hit a craze a bit latter, they still were not toiling from sun up to sun down, that would be just stupid. Its pretty much how things went for all manner of creatures, all across the eons.

But who has time for all that now a day right? We live in such a poor age, this current state and crop of humanity, to poor and to sad, to even afford a little nap.

What a sad and pathetic state of affairs indeed.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

It's very sad and pathetic that the people that slave their entire lives for peanuts, so that a bunch of self righteous bigots can become richer off the misery of the many, can't be afforded a break in their slave training.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Nice thread

yes, I also think it´s true that a two-parted sleeping pattern works better for me. Try plan your sleep to end after a 90 minute block.

Like 90
360 minutes

So you wake up at roughly the time when you´re in light sleep. Makes you feel much more awake and not as "driven over" as you would feel waking up in the middle of the REM. I also disable wifi + mobile internet on my cellphone and leave it downstairs on the drawer.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Oh yeah, and what about the summer, when you have some 4 or 5 hours of darkness?
Do you shut up and wake up with birds?
I'm more concerned with the morphing Shumann resonances. I thought it's BS because it's constant but the ratio is different:

earthpulse.net...

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: icanteven

I wonder if sleeping in two sessions was the root of the siesta?

no siesta is more about heat. when it gets extremely hot on a regular basis, it is far easier on the body to work during the cooler mornings, and the cooler evenings than during the afternoon when temperatures can be over 100F (and high humidity). you see that here in the Philippines. much of the heavy work (like construction) is stopped in the afternoon, and can then go into the wee hours of the morning (and many such workers actually live on the work sites). quite frankly it is too dam hot to do serious work in the afternoons on many days. now in many businesses it is not an issue due to many such places being air-conditioned these days, so they don't tend to do siestas as much. i really feel for the students in school though since most schools do not have aircon, and since there are normally 2 school shifts a day (both teachers and students), there is not a siesta time. i honestly don't know if i would prefer starting school at 7am, or getting off after dark at 7pm.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Its not just a Natural instinct

Im pretty Sure its a Response SYSTEM , Humans Have,

of the Awake for a few Hours, then Back to Sleep at Night ...

Could be the Reason , Our Clock is the way it is ,
too Prevent Ambushes from Predators
and Animals and Humans Alike ( from other Tribes )

a Night Watchmen on Watch , Calls the Alarm , And Defends

from The Ancient to the Present
Most of the Military on this This Planet
Does that Very Same thing ,

From My Military Experience ,

I adjusted,

didn't feel Tired from Over Sleeping nor Lack of Sleep
Felt more Alert and Focused Actually.. LOL..

for anyone thats been In Infantry ,
I would Assume Know this Pattern Well..

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

The siesta isrelated to the heat it makes in southern europe in the afternoon.
but its not only the time we sleep but also the quality of the sleep that maters. If you have dogs neighbours barking all night how can you sleep?

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CrapAsUsual

I know. Im forced to listen to it every fing night. Unless it's my own, I don't want to hear it.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

That's an interesting link.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join