It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Invictus Games.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
These games start today in Toronto. I hadn't heard of them before they made their way here. It is quite an amazing idea and undertaking. While not a military "project" per se, it involves military personnel from around the world.

The Invictus Games is an international Paralympic-style[1] multi-sport event, created by Prince Harry of Wales, in which wounded, injured or sick armed services personnel and their associated veterans take part in sports including wheelchair basketball, sitting volleyball, and indoor rowing.[1] Named after Invictus, Latin for "unconquered" or "undefeated", the event was inspired by the Warrior Games, a similar event held in the United States. The first Invictus Games took place in March 2014 at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in London, United Kingdom.

en.wikipedia.org...

Harry being a veteran himself, and tight with service persons and veterans, saw the need for these games. What need?

The Invictus Games use the power of sport to inspire recovery, support rehabilitation and generate a wider understanding and respect for wounded, injured and sick Servicemen and women.

invictusgamesfoundation.org...

These Games have shone a spotlight on the ‘unconquerable’ character of service men and women and their families and their ‘Invictus’ spirit. These Games have been about seeing guys sprinting for the finish line and then turning round to clap the last man in. They have been about teammates choosing to cross the line together, not wanting to come second, but not wanting the other guys to either. These Games have shown the very best of the human spirit.

invictusgamesfoundation.org...

Giving an avenue to enable disabled personnel, to feel whole again and be part of a team, to get back what was taken from them because of duty, gives them a purpose and goal again.

“Up until my awareness of the Invictus Games, all I had been doing was living in memories. In my mind my life has been over and I was just waiting to be done because I’m not capable of doing or living like I used to. I‘m starting to think however, that my game has just begun.”

Kudos to Harry.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

A massive thumbs up for this !

I saw some Aussie Vets. Interviewed and they were pumped !!

A great event with a great supporter in Harry !

Good luck to all competitors

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I hadnt heard of it either till this morning.
But it was on our front page that a former soldier from my city is carrying the flag at the games.

Pretty good idea.
Thunder Bay soldier

new topics

join