It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I accuse the London Mayor and his Council of turf war antics

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin fair enough come into a debate about uber then you should expect talk about uber especially when you state things as a minor point which is actually one of the biggest problms with them unfair competition if you look back I have stated already that I have no problem with them continuing to trade on the same playing field as everyone else. but in the interests of diplomacy lets just avoid anymore talk in here you have one reason for being here I have another lets just leave it at that

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage
Uber is having these same issues here in the States as well. It's not really a matter of religion or ethnicity, it's more the cab companies are really feeling the squeeze as they just can't compete with an entity that has no overhead.

Cab companies have to buy cabs, employ drivers, employ mechanics and have a building.
They have regulations to follow, and fees/taxes to pay. They have expensive insurance.
It's not a cheap game to be in, and Uber really has none of those issues since it's private citizens "giving someone a ride" and making a little money.

It's a brilliant business idea really, capatilizm at its best.

Cab companies are freakin pissed cause they don't stand a chance and are pressuring politicians all over to put an end to Uber.

Uber is a taxi company the same as any other. It is not private citizens giving each other s ride.

It keeps fares down by appalling business practises and ignoring regulations. It has also run at a massive loss every single year to drive out local competition.

It is capitalism at its worst.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Let me tell you all as a Londoner (seen as their seems to be a lot of people here thinking they speak for us'

Please do not be fooled by this rubbish about safety. This is nothing more then the unions/TFL (them good old labour men, them working men... *sings the old song* You can't touch me cos I'm part of the uniioooooon) spitting their dummy out because there is a cheaper alternative, it is completely crapping on the little guy.

I feel much safer sitting in a car that I can track on GPS, have the name and licence reg of a driver on my screen.

I have signed the petition. I am not going back to the days of... 'sorry mate I don't drive south of the river' 'sorry mate it's not a big enough fare, I can't take you'... nor am I prepared to pay £60 to get to work in an uncomfortable black cab.

I am now going to sit back and wait to be told my facts above are wrong... Keep in mind I was born and raised here and have worked in the city all my life.

HOWEVER I will say to the OP that what you have said about this being down to religion is rubbish, complete rubbish.
edit on 23/9/2017 by fusiondoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dwoodward85
a reply to: Revolution9

I agree with others that I don't think it has much to do with his religion and though I do think he has some issues with history of sharing platforms with hate preachers and suspected terrorist groups etc. but on this occasion I don't think it really has anything to do with him being a Muslim.

If you would've said "I think he bowed to pressure and forced or leaned on Transport for London to take back the license" then I'd have to agree with you, because I think that's what happened. That the Taxi Drivers Union or whatever they call themselves now probably kept putting pressure on him to have the license taken away and then he did the same or at least as best he could to TFL but yh I'm not sure about the religion part.

Personally I don't use black cabs (did once and cost a ridiculous amount of money for like a half hour drive) and I've only used Uber with a friend and while it was cheaper you didn't get the same banter that you do with Taxi Drivers so it's a double edged sword because I think Black Cabs need competition like all business, a good competitor can do wonders for both products and price so I do think they should get their license back.

That's called Travis's law

"Our product is so superior to the status quo that if we give people the opportunity to try it, they will defend it and demand its right to exist."

Travis Law is a quote from a speech by Travis Kalanick founder of Red Swoosh and wider known Uber. In his CEO role at Uber, there have been quite some scrimmages with local governments and unions. This law is one of the strategies what Uber uses to influence the outcomes of these discussions. They have been pretty successful with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join