It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I accuse the London Mayor and his Council of turf war antics

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9
a reply to: Revolution9

We must ask ourselves why this has come just as Trump got on the case with Iran at the UN and Iran tells Israel it can reach it with its missiles.

Do I trust, no I do not. It's all political. If we allowed this what next business will they deprive us of? The Mayor will tell us that McDonald's is not allowed, that Ebay is not allowed, that America is not allowed. It's just the same.

I'm not 100% sure how you've gotten onto Trump and Iran and the banning of Ebay. But I rather suspect the Uber thing has a lot more to do with this than religion:

Freedom of Information data obtained by The Sun last year showed that the Metropolitan Police investigated 32 drivers for rape or sexual assault of a passenger between May 2015 and May 2016.

In August, Metropolitan Police Inspector Neil Billany wrote to TfL about his concern that the company was failing to properly investigate allegations against its drivers.

He revealed the company had continued to employ a driver after he was accused of sexual assault. According to Inspector Billany, the same driver went on to assault another female passenger before he was removed.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This is one of the few decisions Mr Khan has taken I agree with.

To hell with Uber.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Quite the polemic.

Ok, you stated this was about religion in your op, I made a point refuting it, now you say it's about something else.

Ok,
Uber is part of the disruptive economy.

They enter an area of the economy and bypass the regulations that existing firms adhere to. They pay less to their workers and can charge less to their customers, ultimately lowering the conditions for the people who have to work in the business and driving down standards for customers.

Black cab drivers have to undergo rigorous tests to make sure they can do the best possible job, are monitored to make sure they are safe and face constant checks to make sure that, say, a convicted rapist isn't allowed to pick up kids from school, women from nightclubs etc.

Uber does none of that. Uber makes money, they don't care whether your daughter gets home safe. They just want to make money.

Allowing them to compete with Black cabs and mini cabs effectively drives these more professional outfits out of business until all that is left is untrained, unregulated and unchecked uber drivers.

That's what I have against them.

I've lived for a time on the outskirts of London and visited regularly. I have never been in any cab other than a licenced black cab and I wouldn't change that, ever.
My wife and her friends feel the same way too.

The black cabs have been campaigning against uber for years now, because it isn't fair for someone to offer a metered service without living up to the same level of service as a black cab driver. If someone wants to run a cab, they can do the knowledge and pass the criminal records check, same as anyone else.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Funny how the one person in here that works in the industry is being ignored so much for denying ignorance pfft

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldlikecustard
Funny how the one person in here that works in the industry is being ignored so much for denying ignorance pfft

Well, you failed to agree with the OP

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Saying your post was bigoted as you assigned the mayor's motivation purely based on religion without even so much as a scrap of evidence or reason.

You need a licence to operate a private hire firm in London. Uber have had that revoked due to their business practises. Nothing to do with religion.

You can disagree with the decision quite fairly. It is your desire to make it about religion when it clearly isn't that makes it bigoted.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

I agree with others that I don't think it has much to do with his religion and though I do think he has some issues with history of sharing platforms with hate preachers and suspected terrorist groups etc. but on this occasion I don't think it really has anything to do with him being a Muslim.

If you would've said "I think he bowed to pressure and forced or leaned on Transport for London to take back the license" then I'd have to agree with you, because I think that's what happened. That the Taxi Drivers Union or whatever they call themselves now probably kept putting pressure on him to have the license taken away and then he did the same or at least as best he could to TFL but yh I'm not sure about the religion part.

Personally I don't use black cabs (did once and cost a ridiculous amount of money for like a half hour drive) and I've only used Uber with a friend and while it was cheaper you didn't get the same banter that you do with Taxi Drivers so it's a double edged sword because I think Black Cabs need competition like all business, a good competitor can do wonders for both products and price so I do think they should get their license back.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Aside from the fact that Sadiq Khan is NOT the shot caller here, regardless of influence of any weight, your assumptions about how "Londoners" feel about this issue are frankly absurd.

There are cabbies who have trained years and driven for decades, every single moment of their adult lives, increasing their familiarity with "the knowledge", who offer a damned fine service at a high degree of proficiency, and Uber came along and totally buggered up their business. I am not talking about people from any particular demography, but people from all genetic and cultural origins, who share the inherent ability to remember the City of London in high resolution, living, breathing satellite quality navigators, who can, without access to either map nor compass, get you from the East to the West end, in good order and in some significant comfort.

This is a skill which renders the London Cabbie unique amongst all cab driving fraternities in the world, such is the level of dedication required to do their jobs as well as they do. Uber have damaged the job security of a breed of men and women who have dedicated their lives to their craft, and frankly, I find your support for that situation absolutely objectionable.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Uber is having these same issues here in the States as well. It's not really a matter of religion or ethnicity, it's more the cab companies are really feeling the squeeze as they just can't compete with an entity that has no overhead.

Cab companies have to buy cabs, employ drivers, employ mechanics and have a building.
They have regulations to follow, and fees/taxes to pay. They have expensive insurance.
It's not a cheap game to be in, and Uber really has none of those issues since it's private citizens "giving someone a ride" and making a little money.

It's a brilliant business idea really, capatilizm at its best.

Cab companies are freakin pissed cause they don't stand a chance and are pressuring politicians all over to put an end to Uber.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
One other thing a lot of people seem to be missing here is that it was not and never was just cab companies putting pressure on quite frankly it had little affect on this. The license was taken away or not renewed rather than taken away due to their lack of transparency and serious criminal allegations which they have hidden. the police and local government had a multitude of allegations to go on and if I can figure this thing out when I get home I will upload the letter tfl sent out which explains their reasoning .

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
OP this is not a thread about the decision by Transport For London (not the mayor) to revoke Ubers licence to operate in the city. Trying to claim this is some Islamic anti-American move is ridiculous.

Your entire thread is basically bigoted tirade against the Mayor for being Muslim, its just a excuse to have another rant at a man with a brown face who reads that funky book you don't understand.

If you disagree with TLP's decision to not renew the license then thats fine, that is a totally legitimate point of view to hold, feel free to go put your name on that petition. The problem however is that like I said this thread is not about that, its about your bigoted views towards Sadiq Khan for no reason other than him being Muslim. It totally undermines your position on this subject, it exposes your own islamophobic agenda when you you make this about the "Muslim gangster".

Their are some really good reasons to keep Uber running in London, it provides jobs, has a strong customer base and maintains healthy competition. Then again their have also been some safety concerns raised, it makes working as a regular cabbie much more difficult, it erodes the tradition of the "Black Cab" and I am sure their are other reasons that this decision was taken.

However you make a issue of who can and cannot operate taxi's in London about faith then you might as well just preference your thread with "I am Xenophoic". It would save us a lot of time.

edit on 23-9-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: coldlikecustard

I'd like to know what type of people have signed the petition. This would tell us who supports ooh-burr. I doubt it's a random cross section of taxi using society.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin it is not healthy competition if they are not on the same playing field as everyone else which I can assure you they are not

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

When you say I'm not a grass do you mean you're too scared to talk truth about criminals?
edit on 23 9 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester of course he is he managed to ignore everything I said because I work in the London private hire industry and had actual knowledge rather than agree with his clearly islamophobic view

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin it is not healthy competition if they are not on the same playing field as everyone else which I can assure you they are not

I totally understand that but if you read on I also said that

Then again there have also been some safety concerns raised, it makes working as a regular cabbie much more difficult, it erodes the tradition of the "Black Cab" and I am sure their are other reasons that this decision was taken.

I was trying to give a slightly more balanced view on it rather than taking a side, but way to go on nitpicking me on that one point. When I say making it more difficult to work as a regular cabbie thats what I mean.

Additionally I would point out that my post was not really so much about Uber (something I couldn't care less about) and more about the OP's bigoted views.

edit on 23-9-2017 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin I was not nit picking as you put rather just pointing out a fact in response. I agreed with the rest of your post which is why I focused only on that point.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin I was not nit picking as you put rather just pointing out a fact in response. I agreed with the rest of your post which is why I focused only on that point.

Not wanting to get into a argument but is that not kind of what nitpicking is.

"I agree with everything you have said so I am going to focus on this one small detail I disagree with you"

Its a really minor point, I don't care about Taxi's in London, I don't pretend to be a expert on them, really Uber is not the subject of this thread anyway regardless of what the OP would like us to believe.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin that's the problem I have with what you say it is far from a minor point

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin that's the problem I have with what you say it is far from a minor point

I am sure to you if your job involves private car hire then the actions of Uber are pretty important to you.

Me, I couldn't care less about Uber or who provides what taxi, all I want as a customer is to get to point A to point B as quick and cheaply as possible I don't care if that is a Uber car or a black cab. Its just not something I car about.

So I appreciate that its important to you but to me this thread is not about Uber or taxi's, if it was I would not be posting, its about the OPs dated bigoted views.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join