It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than one Language?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Lets cast aside doubt and run with this concept from a theoretical standpoint.

I would think that millions of years of extraterrestrial evolution (natural and manipulated) would lead to the elimination of a vocal/audible language.

You might find that their organic reactions are controlled by a mass conciousness that transcends the 4th dimension (time). We're talking billions of years worth of evolution beyond humans.

Communication might occur in an instant. Conscious thoughts are received and transmitted from a central source of knowledge which is always engaged in solving environmental problems.

We can also expect that any such evolved species would have come into contact with language-based civilizations. A learning process would have occurred, so it is highly probable that they would have vestigial vocal organs that *might* still work.

Fascinating thread so far!

MK

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA

Lets cast aside doubt and run with this concept from a theoretical standpoint.

I would think that millions of years of extraterrestrial evolution (natural and manipulated) would lead to the elimination of a vocal/audible language.

How so? What biological evidence do you see to suggest that non-vocal communication is the inevitable result of evolution? What advantages would telepathy offer that verbal languages do not have? Verbal, kinesthetic, or other forms of "optional" communication offer a distinct advantage, socially, that telepathy or other forms of invasive communication do not: privacy. Privacy is a good thing for members of a society to have, at least in limited ways. Do you really want everyone you communicate with to know every nuance of your feelings about them?

You might find that their organic reactions are controlled by a mass conciousness that transcends the 4th dimension (time). We're talking billions of years worth of evolution beyond humans.

This is something we can't guarantee, though. We don't have any reliable, physical bodies of aliens on which to base our conjecture.[1] You say that the aliens would have had billions of years of extra evolution, but it's equally possible that they evolved on a world where the conditions were perfect to enable spaceflight after a mere 500 years of civilization. In such a case, the aliens could well be behind us in biological evolution, but ahead of us in social evolution. Or any number of other possibilities up to, and including, being an intelligent shade of the color blue.
Even assuming, and for me it's a huge assumption, that the current "theories" about alien contact are true: reptiloids, atlanteans, nordics, riticuleans et all, we have only their word for it. We have no way to independantly verify that what the abductees are being told is anywhere near to being the truth.

I don't mean to come off as an automatic naysayer in this thread, but it does come close to one of my pet peeves about theories of alien contact: We're quick to ascribe a lot of detail to a phenomena that we know very little about. The stranger the pet theory is, the more apt it is to find acceptance online. Because of this, anyone who's seriously looking for evidence of non-human intelligence is painted with the same brush as the whack-jobs who insist that the aliens are here to open our "cosmic shakra and to bring us in to harmonic alignment with the nth dimension."

If we're going to have a discussion on xenolinguistics, I'd at least like to know that we're aware of the basics of human linguistics, as we're really the only beings we have absolute proof of that have language. The wikipedia's article is a good place to start, if a little basic.

Probably a more useful way to start this kind of discussion would be to posit something about the alien race, then to start making hypotheses based on that. If you're going off of pre-existing supposition about aliens, I'd appreciate it if you could point me towards the specific information you're taking as given, so I don't just keep throwing random linguistic theory at every new post

[1] You may claim the government has them. This may or may not be true, but we don't have any evidence that a civilian biologist can look at and make peer-reviewable conclusions with.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Tower of Babel,

OK, I put on my glasses and dang if it wasn't there, was it there before hehehe

“Let us go down " and from that day forward we began to speak in many languages. But had a single one before that day.

The war in Iraq starting with us attacking their communication centers, to me I’ve looked at that as a prequel to invasion, same thing we did there. By isolating us from one another we loose our combined strength! Our words also don’t help when spoken wrongly when were want to thank our host only to insult them from not speaking correctly.

With so many tongues’ speaking differently we seem to have lost our Oneness to each other as this thread started out. Here my thought is an Army of ten thousand against another of the same strength. By dividing them the odds improve, and if you break it down as far as it can go then perhaps its ten thousand to one on their side. Why send their army against us if we ourselves will do for them being the slaughter of Mankind without putting one of their solders in harms way.

Take then abductions and could this also be as what we did in WWII going out to take prisoners for information, and in this case also biological testing for weapons against us? Know thy enemy and our world can’t stop them and so they are hiding the truth?

Michael

[edit on 14-2-2005 by Ark-Angel]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join