It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone hits military helicopter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
A UH-60 Blackhawk flying as part of the UN patrol over Staten Island was hit by a drone over a residential neighborhood. The drone was being flown illegally in the area, when it impacted one of two Blackhawks flying as part of a security patrol. It hit the left side of the fuselage and damaged one of the rotors, and cracking a window. The rotor will have to be replaced.

Under FAA rules, drones aren't supposed to be flown near buildings or bridges, or over 500 feet. Under New York law, they are not supposed to be flown anywhere but in parks. The helicopters landed in Linden, New Jersey to be inspected. Parts of the drone were found on the helicopter.

The FBI is investigating after a drone hit a pair of Army helicopters over Staten Island earlier this week.
Army officials said that two Blackhawk helicopters, with the 82nd Airborne Division out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina, were damaged after coming in contact with the drone about 500 feet above Midland Beach just after dark on Thursday.
The impact dented one helicopter, cracked a window and damaged its rotor blades. It was enough damage, Army officials said, that the helicopters had to land in nearby Linden, New Jersey.
Steven Cohen, an area drone advocate, said he was skeptical that a drone could cause that much damage, but he said the drone operator did exactly what he advises against.

www.nbcnewyork.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Oh, come on. Obviously the helicopter hit the quadcopter.
Boneheads. Guess what? It's only going to get worse. Private aviation. Commercial aviation. It's only going to get worse with the idiots playing with their toys.

edit on 9/22/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I hope they get the person flying that drone and charge them for any damages. I don't think that people should be able to fly drones without a license and without some sort of insurance to cover property damage. They used to have rules before, you used to have to have a license to fly remote control planes and every aircraft was supposed to be marked with an identification. I had one of those years ago, in the late sixties to early seventies, it was inexpensive to get one.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I'm surprised drone makers haven't been forced to limit the height they can go. It's only a matter of time before a drone gets sucked into a jet engine and all hell breaks loose.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
My question is, why is the UN flying security missions over the US?? Is this something just over the UN headquarters in NY?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight
I think you misread. Try it again.

Drones are banned in most parts of New York City, and restrictions are even tighter during the UN General Assembly. Flying at 500 feet is also illegal.
The General Assembly is in session, that means the drone idiot was being especially idiotic.

Nothing about "the UN flying security missions." They were US Army helicopters. Or do you have another source?

www.nbcnewyork.com...

edit on 9/22/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
I think you misread. Try it again.

Drones are banned in most parts of New York City, and restrictions are even tighter during the UN General Assembly. Flying at 500 feet is also illegal.
The General Assembly is in session, that means the drone idiotic was being especially idiotic.

Nothing about "the UN flying security missions." They were US Army helicopters. Or do you have another source?

www.nbcnewyork.com...

A UH-60 Blackhawk flying as part of the UN patrol over Staten Island was hit by a drone over a residential neighborhood

Quote from Zaphod. Kinda triggered me...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Boneheads. Guess what? It's only going to get worse. Private aviation. Commercial aviation. It's only going to get worse with the idiots playing with their toys.

Wait until they start playing around with their flying cars.
What could go possibly go wrong.

It is shocking that so many persons think these will add utility to society.
I guess they will have to stop, in a manner of speaking, after a collision.
No more hit and runs which are spreading like wildfire,
and cognitive dissonance, on the streets.

# 880
edit on 22-9-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Ok. So, the Army was flying security since the General Assembly is in session.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

There are always security flights when the UN is in session. The Army supplies them to fly around the area checking rooftops for anything suspicious around the UN. They also fly missions looking for radiation signatures. They're not UN helicopters, they're for UN security.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Some of them are limited by the software when they get within a certain distance of an airport, or other restricted airspace.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Gotcha. Who the heck pays for that?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Technically the UN, but it comes out of the Army budget.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   
What if this was a test? See if they can hit a Helicopter with a drone. Then load it with explosives. Improvised guided missile. 😮

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Then just make drones illegal... and hang gliding too.

While we're at it (for 'safety' reasons), make all private aircraft, automobiles and Pleasure craft illegal. Take mass transit or hail a driverless taxi.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
What if this was a test? See if they can hit a Helicopter with a drone. Then load it with explosives. Improvised guided missile. 😮

Helicopters fly faster than drones. A drone would be a poor choice to intentionally try and hit one.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah but if you wanted to take a helicopter out I doubt the best time would be when it could utilise all of it's functions effectively.

Take off and landing leaves them vulnerable, same for planes too.

Then the option of modifications is possible too. Range and power and then cost would be a problem though, might be easier acquiring or making your own delivery system.

If I wanted to take planes or helicopters out of the sky with drones, the last people I'd try it on would be my potential enemies and thus risk giving the game away.

Especially when they've got tech that can shoot rpg's out of the sky. Not saying they would use such tech in civilian areas but they could.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Then just make drones illegal... and hang gliding too.

While we're at it (for 'safety' reasons), make all private aircraft, automobiles and Pleasure craft illegal. Take mass transit or hail a driverless taxi.

You've just described the future. This is probably what it will be like in 25 to 30 years from now.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Back hawk flew over the house yesterday, there are two operating with the coast guard from a nearby airfield. I can always tell when a Blackhawk is approaching, they are robust and loud.

Take off and landing leaves them vulnerable, same for planes too.

Even more vulnerable sitting on the tarmac. I doubt a drone would be able to approach with a large enough device to do harm though.

In Afghanistan old men sat on hilltops wth .303 Lee Enfield rifles, shooting at rotor blades of Russian Hind helos. Once in a great while they would hit one.

In Syria TOW missiles having great effect on Helicopters.

Twitter

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
That must have been one big mf drone to damage a black hawk.
The blackhawk must have gone under the drone and sucked it down into the rotors.
Looks like they're going to need to test jet engines by flying drones into them, instead of frozen chickens!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join