It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. families received fake orders to leave South Korea.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Army counterintelligence officials in South Korea are investigating fake mobile alerts and social media messages warning American military families and Defense Department personnel of orders to evacuate the volatile peninsula on Thursday.

Washington Post link to article

I just stumbled into this a few minutes ago. Not really a huge deal and apparently not getting much coverage I guess. I would assume it's North Korea playing games. I just found it interesting.

Here's the Stars and Stripes article, which says pretty much the same thing... bogus messages received via mobile phone and social media :

Link

Seeing it on social media is one thing. I think I would be surprised to see a fictitious message pop up on my phone via text.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Sagacity

Fatboys attempt to cause disruptions

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Fake or not, With Trumps tough guy threatening and lil Kim not backing down....
Those two idiots have made that part of the world very dangerous.

It in fact might be prudent to GTFO of South Korea.
edit on 22-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Aeshma

Probably even better in the long run although it was an inconvenience and may have scared a few people. It's a good chance to remind people of the procedure and communication channels should it ever truly be necessary.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

What if it is real, and this is a cover story due to someone leaking the notice?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
When I was stationed in SK you couldn't bring your family. Maybe it was different for other branches or only those with high ranks could.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I'm not sure what if anything will happen with all this. I think I'd be fine with a vacation in South Korea even today, but not sure I'd plan on living there long term at the moment.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
When I was stationed in SK you couldn't bring your family. Maybe it was different for other branches or only those with high ranks could.

My friend was stationed there around the mid 90's, when the 4th ID rotated over there. He absolutely loved South Korea. What he didn't love was dealing with the old weapons stockpiled. (He worked in the armory.) At the time, they had more WWII and Vietnam surplus than newer gear in the armory. Of course times have changed a good bit.

As for families in SK around then, I'm not sure. We were early college age and it was the last thing on our minds.
edit on 22-9-2017 by Sagacity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Well I was in the army and you were not allowed to bring family there. It was considered a combat zone and in fact received combat pay as well. I have not heard of any change and in fact know some people stationed there. And there wives are currently in the states. So unless this is airforce but I still doubt that as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

It's a little bit of both

Link

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
But how, unless you had access to the data base of the numbers to the service members and their family members their in SK..would you be able to get an "alert" out to them to leave?

If you are the enemy hell bent on killing...why would you mess with them to tell them to leave? Certainly you would want as many of what you consider to be the main enemy there in your sites?

Hard to believe it was just an accident as an earlier posting alluded to.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

No more dangerous than the last 10 years....

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

What branch & how long ago was that? I lived in Seoul in the 90's, a good portion of American kids I went to school with were out of Yongsan (I wasn't one of them, my dad ran a company office there) I don't know if it was contingent on rank or not, but likely not -- the school was a good school, and folks would sell both kidneys and their left leg (figuratively speaking) to pay for it. Some of those army kids were pretty poor compared to other students after paying tuition.

Edit: It is also entirely possible they lived near the base in the immediate surrounding neighborhoods, too. If there's a way to get around a rule, families will find it. However, my husband was stationed there right before GW1 and absolutely remembers families on the base in housing.
edit on 9/22/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think it would be a good idea to avoid the area! Or if someone is stuck there, get the heck out of Dodge before Kim drops one.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Much has changed, brother.

I would suspect a disgruntled civilian started this nonsense ... or maybe (and I mean a really remote chance) some connected Korean. Counterintelligence involvement after-the-fact usually indicates an insider.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
But how, unless you had access to the data base of the numbers to the service members and their family members their in SK..would you be able to get an "alert" out to them to leave?

If you are the enemy hell bent on killing...why would you mess with them to tell them to leave? Certainly you would want as many of what you consider to be the main enemy there in your sites?

Hard to believe it was just an accident as an earlier posting alluded to.
The enemy's intel is always much better that you would normally believe.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Agreed! Those two are going to duke it out. The question is when and how many millions die?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Army counterintelligence officials in South Korea are investigating fake mobile alerts and social media messages warning American military families and Defense Department personnel of orders to evacuate the volatile peninsula on Thursday.

They all knew it was fake, but North Korean intel didn't.

Just like when B1 and B2 bombers 'exercise' right at them.... haha

(just kidding)

Part of the whole endless war 'game' scenario, NK will be lulled into apathy and never know when the real one is coming.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   
What if this isn't the enemy doing it.

It could be us sending a notice to soon to see if it works when needed. Test worked.

Someone who knows something that is trying to warn them.

A simple prankster with a twisted sense of humor.

Those living in SK don't have to worry about Kim nuking them. It'd be the stupidest thing he could do. He wants that country and the people in it. More slaves. More fear. It's what gets him off. I could see him doing this as well. Just for the satisfaction.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Much has changed, brother.

I would suspect a disgruntled civilian started this nonsense ... or maybe (and I mean a really remote chance) some connected Korean. Counterintelligence involvement after-the-fact usually indicates an insider.

I doubt that we'll here any results from the investigation when it concludes. Also, I never considered the disgruntled civilian possibility. Don't know why, but it didn't cross my mind.

top topics

join