It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just when you need it...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Had the best thing happen today and it's about damn time. I'm due for some good.
My son stepped out to check the mail, came back and handed me a bunch of stuff, that I looked at and started to just throw away. I get So. Much. Junkmail. I'd say a good 95% of what I get on a daily basis is throw away, useless crap. Some days, that's all I get and some days it's along with bills, so checking the mail is not my favorite thing to do.
But, not today.
Today, instead of just glancing at it, shuffling through and not seeing an ad for whatever they want me to buy, there was a large envelope from an investment firm. I asked myself, "Self, do we have investments?" Self said "No, now lemme alone, I'm talking to all the other voices in here", so I wondered where this had come from. At first, I figured it was some kind of offer for retirement plans.
Nope.
It was something I had forgotten about a long, LONG time ago. See, when I was a coal miner, we got stock, profit sharing, company match IRA, you know, that stuff. Now, I had quit this company in 1989, went on to work for another coal company and didn't give a thought to all that when I went. Basically what it came down to was : If I worked for that company for X amount of years, I could retire with full benefits, based on this plan. When I quit, it stopped that payout till I was a certain age. I turned 53 the first week of this month, so that triggered the release of those funds. If I had kept working at that company and they put money in to match mine for all those years, it would have came to a pretty penny. As it stands, they have to pay me almost $30,000
$$$$chu ching!!$$$
I'm taking it in a lump sum, so I'l realistically only see about 22 maybe 23k but hey, it's a whole lot more than what I had this morning.
Some days, it does pay to check the mail.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Had the best thing happen today and it's about damn time. I'm due for some good.
My son stepped out to check the mail, came back and handed me a bunch of stuff, that I looked at and started to just throw away. I get So. Much. Junkmail. I'd say a good 95% of what I get on a daily basis is throw away, useless crap. Some days, that's all I get and some days it's along with bills, so checking the mail is not my favorite thing to do.
But, not today.
Today, instead of just glancing at it, shuffling through and not seeing an ad for whatever they want me to buy, there was a large envelope from an investment firm. I asked myself, "Self, do we have investments?" Self said "No, now lemme alone, I'm talking to all the other voices in here", so I wondered where this had come from. At first, I figured it was some kind of offer for retirement plans.
Nope.
It was something I had forgotten about a long, LONG time ago. See, when I was a coal miner, we got stock, profit sharing, company match IRA, you know, that stuff. Now, I had quit this company in 1989, went on to work for another coal company and didn't give a thought to all that when I went. Basically what it came down to was : If I worked for that company for X amount of years, I could retire with full benefits, based on this plan. When I quit, it stopped that payout till I was a certain age. I turned 53 the first week of this month, so that triggered the release of those funds. If I had kept working at that company and they put money in to match mine for all those years, it would have came to a pretty penny. As it stands, they have to pay me almost $30,000
$$$$chu ching!!$$$
I'm taking it in a lump sum, so I'l realistically only see about 22 maybe 23k but hey, it's a whole lot more than what I had this morning.
Some days, it does pay to check the mail.

Man that is awesome news!!

Drinks on you

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Ha awesome!

That's a great way to start a weekend.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What a nice surprise!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Talk to an accountant.
I think you should be able to put this money in another investment without paying taxes.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Nice. How are you going to invest it to even make more off of it?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Oh, I can, that's one of the options, but I have some bills I'd like to pay off. There's also some work I need to do on my truck, put some in college funds and......I'm gonna spend a tiny bit on myself. I'm limiting it to $500. I don't even know what I want, but I'll think of somethin'

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
That is great news!

I just happen to have a proposal for an investment for exactly 20 grand.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Talk to an accountant.
I think you should be able to put this money in another investment without paying taxes.

Ever heard of the Motely Fool?

www.fool.com...

link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Really don't know yet. I'm going to go Monday and talk to my banker, see if he has any ideas about CDs and that kinda stuff.

ETA - Screw the bank, I'm gonna look into what Olaru posted.
edit on 22-9-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

link   
nice

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
All I want for xmas is a truck please, I won't ask for anything else. Congrats on your lottery win today. lol
edit on 22-9-2017 by Diabolical1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Diabolical1972

Me and you both brother. But...ya know...I have a 96 Ram that only has 126k on it, uses no oil and runs fine, it just needs some new shocks, serp belt, you know that little stuff. It does leave a bit to be desired on gas mileage though. I mean, a Ram with a V8 Magnum ain't exactly a Prius.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

we are in opposite places lol. I misscounted my pennies trying to buy some stuff at the grocery store totaling 4.28 I had 4.13 lol.. somone gave me a quarter so ha!

No worries I just had to get a new place to live do to my now ex suprising me with a dude in the bed..

I get payed monday im just being silly.

congrats man!!

Thats like my usual fantasy.. Some # I forgot about, just appearing.. Have I entered any contests lately? lol.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
a reply to: Diabolical1972

Me and you both brother. But...ya know...I have a 96 Ram that only has 126k on it, uses no oil and runs fine, it just needs some new shocks, serp belt, you know that little stuff. It does leave a bit to be desired on gas mileage though. I mean, a Ram with a V8 Magnum ain't exactly a Prius.

So when you buy your new truck, I get that one right. lol

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Oh, that....is....great! Enjoy and celebrate!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Check'in the mail...

Get it, get it? Lol

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Congratulations. As others have said, the real key is reinvesting the majority.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I myself will be 53 at the near end of December, 12- 21 to be exact. Sure hope something pops for me too that I had forgotten about. Been a long life for me so far, hard actually. I really need break like this myself. Fingers crossed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join