It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Residents Warned They'll Be Ticketed For Hurricane-Damaged Homes

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Like offering support. Getting their hands dirty. Not issuing pink slips.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
When Rick Scott drafted THIS he could've suspended those local laws to provide relief from putting people who are hurting into an never deeper hole.

However, I can't help but think that it's these codes and their enforcement that brings things back to normal so quickly.

Surely in less-regulated areas people would choose to forego some repairs and the sites affected just wouldn't be brought back to the same level of completeness.

It's a tough fence because it has to be straddled.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Actually, I agree with Phage here, even after my own run-in with code enforcement here in MI this summer over our unknowingly illegal backyard blow-up pool (Didn't think to check local codes, must have fence. Did not have fence. Drained pool and will build safety fence in spring. My bad for not checking this, no big deal.)

After the figurative dust settles in FL after hurricanes, prioritizing who needs to be checked on first regarding clean-up and repairs simply makes sense. It's just wiser to err on the side of caution when it comes to the more life-threatening neighborly dangers after a storm, otherwise it's just a go-ahead for people to sit on it as long as they can while having an open invite for any Suzie or Timmy, and even the occasional mentally unsound elderly neighbor wandering around to find and get hurt (or worse) with.

They got a notice to get on it, and info regarding what would happen if they didn't. They didn't get fined. HUGE difference.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
a reply to: 727Sky
I honestly believe that Florida has to be the worst State in the US for code enforcement.

They hire the brainless because they will slap a citation anywhere, on anything, and for the most ridiculous of reasons.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to go down to City Hall to raise hell about some dumb ass citation a brain dead code enforcement officer placed on my home. They admitted wrong doing each time, but my time and gas are valuable.

HOAs can be brutal, but code enforcement is Idiocrasy on steroids.

I'm quite happy to know that you are not a near neighbor to my property.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Land of the free? My hairy arse!

First of all, as the fellow who was interviewed said, the place had been hit by a hurricane. There is no reasonable expectation that ANYONE could have torn down and replaced their fencing, leave alone any of the important parts of a house and its perimeter which might have been damaged, within the time frame allowed for.

Furthermore, the only thing that city hall should have been doing during the period immediately after the hurricane, is providing support to people who were trying to clear debris from roads, drives and thereby improve access to dwellings for those about the business of assessing damage and rectifying it in due course. Six months later, maybe you could justify an ordinance violation warning, but not six hours later.

Regardless of fines or otherwise, the damned thing is a piece of private property, so unless it is part of the cities property, not the owners property, the fence is nothing to damned well do with them anyway! What kind of moronic douchery is this?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
this is the same state that forces home owners with solar panels to have them connected to the power grid, and forces them to be wired to shut down if the grid goes down, and they are currently looking at legislation to stop paying home owners with solar panels for the juice the power company gets off those panels.

Any level of stupid is considered normal from Florida...

(born and raised in Florida ran away as soon as I could)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

You mean like assessing and prioritizing damage?

That sounds nice, and of course that has to be done. But if you think about it....just imagine it....I'm pretty sure it's obvious to everyone there that a hurricane just blew through a few hours prior. I'm pretty sure everyone there realizes stuff is broken. Is that really the best use of manpower? Having guys go around the city, saying "this is broken, this is broken, fix this, fix that." NO #E, Captain Obvious!

Give a few days, or at least until the power is back on. Instead of pointing out the obvious, get in there and help repair things. This is what our taxes pay for? "Let's walk around after a hurricane and declare stuff is broken." Ridiculous.
edit on 23-9-2017 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun
I am not sure what you are getting at but I too am happy for you, because in my area we had a rouge code enforcement officer that made up her rules as she went along.

She wrote citations that had nothing to do with city ordinances and was quite creative with her interpretation of the ordinances that the city did have. Not once did I challenge a citation where it was determined that I was the one wrong. So yeah, I am happy that you don't have to deal with this problem. For the record I haven't seen or heard from her in a while, so I am hoping they found a better position for her.

If you are getting at that I am a lousy neighbor because I am against illegal intrusion and fining of my property by the local government, then again, I too am happy that we are not neighbors.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join