It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Residents Warned They'll Be Ticketed For Hurricane-Damaged Homes

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
If this story is typical and or true then I just don't know what to say ?

Celso Perez told local WSVN-TV that he, his family, and his neighbors were starting to clear fallen trees from the streets after the storm passed through at nine in the morning on Monday. Hours later, in the afternoon, Perez got a visit from the county.

“And we thought he was here to help us or offer some type of assistance with the trees, maybe he was going to bring us ice or something,” Perez told WSVN. Instead, the official slapped a safety notice on the only part of Perez’s fence still standing.

“I laughed,” he said. “I thought he was kidding. ‘You are kidding right? We just had a hurricane six hours ago.’ ‘No, I’m not kidding. I have to cite you for this.’ I just laughed. OK, whatever; knock yourself out!”

But Perez stopped laughing when the official told him he would be writing up a report and would be back to check on the property. Perez told WSVN that the man said he’d “have to write me a fine” if the fence wasn’t up to code by then.

One of the news services contacted a spokes person at Miami-Dade and the response said their agents were there to issue warnings and the warnings had no fine attached. Great that is wonderful news especially if some official is not using the old intimidation ploy .
www.zerohedge.com...
edit on Fri Sep 22 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

If true this is an absolutely disgusting show of blatant government disregard for the citizens who make their jobs possible.

These people are supposed to be civil servants.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
In the words of the joker:

"And here.......we........go!"

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Time to get local and state media involved.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Don’t blame the person enforcing the code. Blame the morons in city hall that decided to pass a moronic city ordinance.

The city has to make back their money somehow.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   
HOAs ? Insanity ? Neither ? Both ?
What part about a Federal Disaster Area does the local governments not get ?
Oh , wait....
Dade County. One of the most liberal spots in the nation outside of Cali
Self-explanatory
They are going to try and keep as much of the Federal Relief money as possible
Yep , force the folks to do as much themselves as possible. The local government keeps the rest (back pocket money)
Carry on

edit on 9/22/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/22/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Why not use the original source?
wsvn.com...
I wonder why that upstanding news source, zerohedge, is posting obsolete "news."

In other news:
www.miamiherald.com...
edit on 9/22/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

WTF is up w/ florida, your govt's are dumb as bricks.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I don't care if it was "just a warning" that disgusts me and this is just government out of control

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

WTF is up w/ florida, your govt's are dumb as bricks.

Only elected officials seem to be these positions these days, too dumb to get a real job or too lazy to work for a living.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

You think the guy who put up the warning stickers was elected?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

No I don't. But the ones drawing up the regs were.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
Don’t blame the person enforcing the code. Blame the morons in city hall that decided to pass a moronic city ordinance.

The city has to make back their money somehow.

No matter, If the guy added the, 'fine warning' bit he was being a prick.

POI, the same thing was done in London at the bridge where the maniac terrorist killer ran amok killing people. All the cars that were stranded in the investigation got fecking tickets. There was uproar, but still the authorities came out with a baldy statement...eventually, that nobody would be fined. All agencies should be on their toes in events like these, that means everymanjack of them, from top to bottom. An apology would be nice in any case...instead of the usual, we are looking into it.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

So, you don't like public safety laws.
You don't care what your neighbors do.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I honestly believe that Florida has to be the worst State in the US for code enforcement.

They hire the brainless because they will slap a citation anywhere, on anything, and for the most ridiculous of reasons.

I can't tell you the number of times I have had to go down to City Hall to raise hell about some dumb ass citation a brain dead code enforcement officer placed on my home. They admitted wrong doing each time, but my time and gas are valuable.

HOAs can be brutal, but code enforcement is Idiocrasy on steroids.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

So, you don't like public safety laws.
You don't care what your neighbors do.

Its my understanding they were doing the best they could do with in their budget and manpower.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
If this story is typical and or true then I just don't know what to say ?

Celso Perez told local WSVN-TV that he, his family, and his neighbors were starting to clear fallen trees from the streets after the storm passed through at nine in the morning on Monday. Hours later, in the afternoon, Perez got a visit from the county.

“And we thought he was here to help us or offer some type of assistance with the trees, maybe he was going to bring us ice or something,” Perez told WSVN. Instead, the official slapped a safety notice on the only part of Perez’s fence still standing.

“I laughed,” he said. “I thought he was kidding. ‘You are kidding right? We just had a hurricane six hours ago.’ ‘No, I’m not kidding. I have to cite you for this.’ I just laughed. OK, whatever; knock yourself out!”

But Perez stopped laughing when the official told him he would be writing up a report and would be back to check on the property. Perez told WSVN that the man said he’d “have to write me a fine” if the fence wasn’t up to code by then.

“At the time this officer was out here, we didn’t have power, we didn’t have food, we didn’t have ice. He is crazy, ridiculous,” Perez said, adding that “it’s not like I can go to Home Depot” because all the stores were closed.

The South Floridian says he understands that there is a lot of work that needs to be done but that the county’s rush to issue warnings was inappropriate:

“Give us a minute to breathe. Let us get our power back on. And I wouldn’t mind if they told me that a few days down the line or due time but it bothers me that they came out here just a few hours after the storm had passed.”

One of the news services contacted a spokes person at Miami-Dade and the response said their agents were there to issue warnings and the warnings had no fine attached. Great that is wonderful news especially if some official is not using the old intimidation ploy .
www.zerohedge.com...

Damn....I'd file a complaint with multiple signatures in hopes of either a lawsuit or some form of relief. What they should have done is sent those guys out to assess the situation and call in support where needed. The lack of empathy and compassion in this story is dumbfounding.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

You said:

Do you think those regs were "drawn up" the day after the storm? I'm just trying to figure out why you think that elected officials are to blame.

edit on 9/22/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

A lawsuit for what? Mental anguish?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Why not use the original source?
wsvn.com...
I wonder why that upstanding news source, zerohedge, is posting obsolete "news."

In other news:
www.miamiherald.com...

It's all God's fault you know...why did this Floridian autocracy not have a go at him first..seeing as he is a regular/perpetual offender...I tells ya, when I get up there...weather permitting..there will be words, and that's just my story!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join