It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers targeted voter registration systems in 21 states, feds say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Again, the title is not as serious as it sounds. Sound familiar yet?

Here we sit, in September. Elections have long since come and gone and from what I remember, ballot boxes were checked and some monitored. However, the story today is:

Election officials in 21 states have been notified by the Department of Homeland Security that hackers targeted voter registration systems ahead of last year's presidential election. In most cases, the systems were not breached. A small number of networks were compromised, but those affected were not involved in the actual tallying of votes. In most of the states, the targeting involved preparatory activity, such as scanning computer systems.

Further down is the actual meat:

"It's really reconnaissance by a bad guy to try and figure out how we would break into your computer," said Trevor Timmons, a spokesman for the Colorado secretary of state's office. "It's not an attack. I wouldn't call it a probe. It's not a breach, it's not a penetration."

Keeping in mind that it is September, how is it now that this information is being released? I also remember a certain leak about a tactic the CIA used to effectively spoof foreign locales.

Finally:

"It's unacceptable that it took almost a year after the election to notify states that their elections systems were targeted," said Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., the vice-chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, "but I'm relieved that DHS ... is finally informing the top elections officials in all 21 affected states that Russian hackers tried to breach their systems in the run up to the 2016 election.

Oh, unacceptable you say? I'm glad you are relieved that your bias is affirmed Senator. My nostrils are flaring with the stench of corruption but you go on and be relieved.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The "election" systems were targeted by DHS. Ask the Georgia Lt. Governor and the IT Team.
Caught it , traced it , and contacted em....
Hardware sniffers are a bi***

edit on 9/22/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Most IP's are likely probed by Russian and Chinese hackers. It is what it is. Soft probes vs. hard probes are the more important factor.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I recall participating in that thread.

IIRC it didn't even hit the MSM.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

The source didn't state either.

I have to wonder however, does it take 10 months to investigate network traffic and allege their intention? I certainly think not.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Investigation shows DHS did not hack Georgia computers

"We have recently completed our investigation into these allegations and have determined that the activity Georgia noted on its computer networks was the result of normal and automatic computer message exchanges generated by the Microsoft applications involved," Inspector General John Roth wrote in a letter to House Oversight Committee Chairman Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) on Monday.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I recall participating in that thread.

IIRC it didn't even hit the MSM.

Well, I do live in Georgia.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Notice the freakin names in that ?
But , you did make me laugh....
At least a thanks for that.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Proprietary software and intellectual property. An unwise combination where concerning voting machines methinks.

Who's to know when someone "flips the switch"? And who's to say it isn't The Feds themselves? Just throwing it out there, not trying to seriously suggest any government agency whatsoever worldwide would ever engage even unwittingly in such a thing. For the record.
edit on 22/9/17 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

The hows of it are aplenty. That is not the issue I take with this story. It's the why, more importantly the timeline.

10 months later and on the heels of the Zuckerberg announcement of divulging information relating to Russian bought advertisements. It stinks.

All of this while there is an actual investigation going on as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yawwwwwwwn

Get over it, Trump won

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
so uhhh, what did they do a port scan???

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Sounds like IP address spoofing is in play.

Maybe some "planted" "evidence" too.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Kind of where my mind is headed to as well.

10 months have passed.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
As most people cannot go build a 747 or etch out their own 64 bit processor at home they cannot know how this stuff works either. You have to have good faith in what your government tells you. I will say this however, you are living the book 1984. Your TV's are watching you. Everybody is watching you and judging every slightest action. Your reality is one they give you and you get dumbed down at every chance. If you do not know this is happening you are just a cow watching the train go by.

The difference between the 1984 book and your life is yours just doesn't seem to drab and oppressive. Doesn't make it any less true though.

Back in the day I hung with the hackerz. There was a program we could move to your computer (I'm talking Windows 95 timeframe, bad dialup) that took less than one second to move to your machine (written in assembly) that gave us more control over your computer than you had.

Now I diverged from that stuff a long time ago. But I am here to tell you it's no difference in making code signatures look however you wish and seem to run from wherever you wish. It's no different than photoshopping an image. You can make up anything you want. There is no super secret software image (like a fingerprint). If you believe that you are as stupid as dirt. Just plain silly.

Do you not think somebody (I mean somebody good, not a vocation school visual basic chump) would know how to craft programs to look as they wish. These people the good ones hack Equifax, Nasa, and just about any damn place they want. As far as hackers go it's not the ones you find that you worry about because they are just the tip of the iceberg. It's the ones that go wayyyy out of their way not to be seen you have to worry about.

But ask yourself. Who has benefited from this drama. Russia? No. Not even the democratic party really. It's the people up above your leaders. The ones that thrive on division and discontent.

Meh, rant over....

edit on 22-9-2017 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-9-2017 by Apollumi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

new topics

top topics

join