It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolutionary guitar strings rock the guitar world

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kennyb72
a reply to: introvert

I play acoustic and I bought a three pack of Elixir 12 to 53, kinda regret it now, hammer ons and offs are just not sensitive and barely audible on my Martin, while d'addarios sing out. I know this is a solid body discussion but does anybody have any preferences for acoustic

They may not be the right type of strings for you or your guitar. I like elixirs on electric and acoustic, if they are the poly bronze. I also have large hands and can play a bit aggressively. So that changes the sound.

Before that I liked the Ernie Ball Earthwoods. Again, that's just a preference.

Just play around and find what you like.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I play acoustic and I bought a three pack of Elixir 12 to 53, kinda regret it now, hammer ons and offs are just not sensitive and barely audible on my Martin, while d'addarios sing out. I know this is a solid body discussion but does anybody have any preferences for acoustic

Martin strings seem to be the all around best tonal strings at the lower gauge. Which I use and they really aren't over priced, even here in Japan.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

They may not be the right type of strings for you or your guitar. I like elixirs on electric and acoustic, if they are the poly bronze. I also have large hands and can play a bit aggressively. So that changes the sound.

Before that I liked the Ernie Ball Earthwoods. Again, that's just a preference.

Just play around and find what you like.

The sets I bought are phosphor bronze with nano web coating, When I first put them on, they are so bright as to be brash and stay that way for weeks, playing several hours a day, then they tone down a bit. Its the lack of sensitivity that is the killer. A pickup would solve the issue I guess. I think an acoustic guitar would be the acid test for any string, I would suggest, as you can hear the natural un-amplifed sound of the string.

musicismagic

Martin strings seem to be the all around best tonal strings at the lower gauge. Which I use and they really aren't over priced, even here in Japan.

Yup! haven't tried Martin strings for years, time to start exploring

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

It's all a matter of personal preference and playing style.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Well the old martin is in for a surprise.
Thanks for the "new".

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Most useful bit of that is having the low E string not pitch shift up when struck hard. The rest of it... well I don't really see that affecting things too much, at least not for me. Now, what I NEED is a g-string that will stay in effin tune and not have slightly off harmonics. Fix that and I'm sold.

I usually use medium gauge cobalt strings on my electric. They sound clear and they don't break as quick or rust. Strings can rust super quick when there's sweat, beer and humidity involved.
edit on 23-9-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I need these!
I play basses tuned down a half and a whole step and as someone said on the first page the strings flop around like an injured seal. Makes it very hard to stay in tune as how hard you pick and fret will change the note drastically. This could fix that issue I hope.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
Don't you boys know any nice songs?

I hope they get called Joes Garage strings.
After all, all they did was bend the strings like..

Ree-too-te-too-te-too-tee-nu-ne-nu-ne-nu-nee!
And the intonation would not offend your ears
After a coupla quarts of beer.
Oh God, that was the most fun I've ever had was playing all of Joes Garage as a 3 piece band.
I did the central scrutinzer parts with a cheap radio shack megaphone and a footswitch I made out an altoids tin.
edit on 23-9-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

It's not the material it's the different production facilities. If you buy the custom shop stuff it's still made in the US and checked and set up by luthiers. The cost cutting is the culprit.

I worked at Collings for years and our stuff was top notch. Handmade. The cnc machinists made the rough parts but all assembly, inspection and shaping was done by about 100 skilled luthiers...even the wood selection is done by the head luthier, ..the finish dept was top notch with several from the hot rod scene in Austin. If you have never seen their stuff check it out.

I may post some of my designs as well sometime though I fear an ats angry member could harass me if they link the name.

I designed from the lp junior concept though I hollow the chamber and cap it. Because I also play 4 hour gigs and know as a player Gibson can take a toll.

Love the wrap around bridge so simple and minimal, I use one you can adjust the intonation a bit and a friend designs all the pickups gold foils, low output humbuckers, p90's, and other odd vintage stuff.

edit on 23-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Lol, those strings are crazy expensive do they wear quick? I would be wiping them every song. Especially after Giant Steps...

The bright flats have no wound g so you can get a little blues if you want. But it looses the acoustic feeling a little IMO. these strings could get rid of that problem I hope they make flats.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Lol, those strings are crazy expensive do they wear quick? I would be wiping them every song. Especially after Giant Steps...

The bright flats have no wound g so you can get a little blues if you want. But it looses the acoustic feeling a little IMO. these strings could get rid of that problem I hope they make flats.

The Pirastro's have been in use for 20 years with the G replaced every year with a cheap Gut from India.

On the 135 copy Washburn I use a Sansamp para driver to compensate for the loss in punch from the flats. I also run the bass thru it as well. Needless to say we're not purist.

We seldom ever stray from Django, sometimes a little Tom Jobim ...gives me an opportunity to get out the tenor.
edit on 23-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Best Zappa album..whole story is great, love Toad O line, and Watermelon In Easter Hay musicaly.
edit on 23-9-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Best Zappa album..whole story is great, love Watermelon In Easter Hay.

To date that is still my favorite guitar solo.
It is bittersweet and deeply emotional.
Without Little Green Rosetta following to lighten the mood I think it could cause suicides..

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Best Zappa album..whole story is great, love Watermelon In Easter Hay.

Yes! Keep it Greasey was by far the challenging to learn and Catholic Girls the most fun to play.
I do think Frank hit his peak with Joes Garage though I also love You are What you Is.
Pretty hard to come up with another story and music that was so fresh and unusual.
One thing about the album though is the guitar solos were done first and many of the songs were written around them.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

He was one in a billion, and I tend to agree, he peaked with Joe's Garage..cool about the songs being written around the solo,s..I really like Toad O too, the guitar piece/solo before Why Does It Hurt When I pee.
Wonder what he would be doing today?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Gimme a pack of ernie ball hybrids and a 58 Lester and day of the week.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Peaked with joe's garage? That's crazy talk.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Love me some Django. That crazy sob used a long scale guitar. Those selmers are so tight to play he must have had really buff two fingers. That was before people played with .08's.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

You forgot slobber!!

I hate when I'm playing/learning something and drool over my guitar!! I'm so good at concentrating that the other day I fell down while thinking about math! To my surprise and the other pedestrians on the sidewalk that I fell off!

We'll have to get everyone who replied's opinion on these things. Then we'll see.

But it is something to look forward to!!

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I'm intrigued by the steel cello strings!! Don't (never have actually) even play cello! I do like the sound. Bach sounds awesome on one! I do a measure or two on bass that sounds bad @ss.

Good lord those things are pricey!! Hand made Italian strings from Germany... well price is not an option at that point! Wonder if Jimmy Page uses their rosin on his bows?! LOL!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join