It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolutionary guitar strings rock the guitar world

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

The tension of the strings is directly related to the ability to hold a tuning. Like if it gets too flappy it won't make a good sound. Or too tight will be unplayable.

The physics of the string division won't change but the nut would need to be cut for different thickness for string height difference and the truss rod tension for the different string tension.

The scale length is where the division of the string comes into play. The tension is more for tone, playability, those kind of things.

edit on 22-9-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I don't see why they can't do the same for bass strings!

It gets expensive running different sets with different cores, trying out flat wounds, half ground, etc. Why do they charge so much for bass strings? I tend find a type of string and stick with them. I don't know what I have on my six string bass! Bella or something like that. I don't know if D'addario even make a set (my "go to" string when I can't find what I want and been too lazy to order a set on line!). I guess I will find out if I break one!

And the thing I said about strumming guitar aggressively? Goes even double for the Hellcat! I play on the high side (top 3 strings) above the 12th fret while adding an open lower string at full strum! Sounds rather neat until I end up playing Poison's Nuttin But A Good Time (my signal to put the bass down and walk away!)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Don't you boys know any nice songs?

I hope they get called Joes Garage strings.
After all, all they did was bend the strings like..

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Brought to you by the central scrutinizer...

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier
a reply to: Tulpa

Brought to you by the central scrutinizer...

On the bus?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Yeah, I hope they come in different gauges. That helps when using different tunings too. Sultans is one of those songs I like to play at the music store!

OMG that reminds of a funny story. A friend and I started a gig in an electronic store that sold cheap guitars. I picked up a guitar and started playing Metallica's 'the four horsemen' while he was playing what I think was status quo.

Good times were had by all, except the costumers.

edit on 22-9-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

RE: A Day At The Beach... on bass!

That would be cool to hear! I haven't even tried that one yet.

The one I play all the time is One Big Rush. I like how that flows. Songs OK to play along with a drum machine. That first moaning string bend reminds of Robert Plant! Maybe another reason why I like that one.

As far as intonation goes... gosh I hope these help! Like I said, get a good tuner then you hear where the notes go flat or sharp while travelling up and down the neck.

Ever try fanned frets? That might be your magic sauce!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

I am being an ass here again but fan frets are usually for ergonomics. Which can help with intonation.

If the string is pulsing at different intervals because it is too loose it will be out but, the division of a string between too bridges is based on the physics of the universe or acoustics in other words. At the ratio of 5:4 you will find the major 3rd on any string for instance. Or 3:2 a perfect fifth.

When we tempered the tuning we adjusted those ratios but the temperament will stay the same at different tensions unless it's too loose to make a steady note.

If your guitar isn't in tune it's most likely the bridge saddle. Or the frets themselves are not in line with the scale length of the instrument

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Hopefully a second hand guitar! A Stratocaster with a whammy bar!

Sounds like a fun mash up! Ever hear of Rock Sugar? They do mash ups that they can turn around and play live. They start off their album with Enter Sandman crossed with Don't Stop Believing! Hilarious! And it sounds real good believe it or not!

The other one I like playing in the music store is the outro solo to Revolution Mother Earth. Kids, moms, the poor shlub behind the counter, all stop and look around to find the freak playing that! Then they all smile! And I'm trying so hard to not drool! Hehehe.

Eric Johnson is another. The intro to Cliffs always stops them in their tracks. So does SRV. The shlubs all love that one. I think I saw a live video and saw how EJ plays it. Viola! I was playing the same! I sometimes think I've spent too much time listening to EJ. Then I will put on a CD and realize that is not such a bad thing.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Once at a guitar shop. Felt to weird to play on fanned frets.

Day at the beach isnt too hard once ypu break it down. I even do a slaped version of it. I drop a lot of the chords and just slap the melody with the rhythm.

One big rush is awesome and yes the moaning bends in the main melody are rad.

Hey i wonder what will Bells of Lal #1 sound with these new strings. Talk about a tremlo dream.

Hey ill make a deal with ya. You get the new strings n play that tune ill slap out the bassline. We can be a ats in house band.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I dunno if it's revolutionary, anyone can do chord bends on a midi guitar, haha...
However, I can't wait to test these out. : )

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Hey while were naming random guys who do covets ever seen the youtube page for a guy named 331erock. Metal meets... He did a megaman medly that is pretty rad.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

When I worked at Collings we used exclusively d'adario. They start at a few thousand dollars so I assume they are good strings. He really did revolutionize the quality control for strings.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

The tension of the strings is directly related to the ability to hold a tuning. Like if it gets too flappy it won't make a good sound. Or too tight will be unplayable.

The physics of the string division won't change but the nut would need to be cut for different thickness for string height difference and the truss rod tension for the different string tension.

The scale length is where the division of the string comes into play. The tension is more for tone, playability, those kind of things.

Thanks, that answers my question.

I was hoping you could buy same gauge string that would tune to a different pitch with the same tension so that I could avoid doing all the things you mentioned.

BTW not string related but guitar related, Electro Harmonix has released a nano Green Russian Big Muff Pi!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Cool concept, but I'd have to play them and hear them in order to say whether or not they are worth it.

I am very specific in the sounds I like to produce and these strings may or may not be able to provide that sound.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Have you seen the twisted frets? They are crazy! Like lightening bolts. They zig and zag across the fret board. You have to buy a new guitar neck with no frets, ship them the whole guitar with your guitar strings, they enter the scale length, string gauge, preferred tuning, all into their computer program which then defines how twisted the frets need to be where on the neck. I think they CNC cut the fret groove while the frets are made. They put the two together and your guitar is perfectly intonated up and down the neck and string to string and chord to chord.

They are over sea somewhere like Sweden so it costs an arm and a leg.

That is the ultimate fix to intonation. But even I draw a line somewhere! I'm fine with not playing a piano! Like I don't need a 12,000 acoustic guitar, I don't need that modification. Yet! (Hehehe).

And don't bother about speaking up! Nice to have a luthier in the house! You'd probably cringe at a few things I have done so I don't really take it personal (because I cringe too!)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Well its possible if you make the string different it's properties of tension are different. So it could hold different tunings as the same Guage because the tension properties are different for those strings.

Just to be confusing. It's likely your situation is possible.

That is awesome! I have been messing with the BLUST. Love their stuff. I can afford it and it sounds good. F U strymon.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Lol!

Yes I have seen those and that is really the only way to do it because each string has a different scale.

I am very interested in their just intonation and well tempered tuning necks. Just because I have an obsession with tunings around the world.

I also worked with a guy in Austin a true genius who built spiral type necks. Jerome forgot his last name. The guy had hands of gold when it came to making instruments. I think he even got a grant to make them.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

ATS house band? I know the name! IAMTAT posted it yesterday!

The Goose Stepping Yetis

It would be fun to jam! I need to get my computer back up and running. Get Pro Tools back on. And I think they have an online site where you can give access to where you can collaborate. Maybe get Gordi The Drummer (I think he is drummer!). Even just plain old 4/4 midi drums would work.

a reply to: imitator

Ha! Midi guitar! Like the Roland thing with the arm? Love that crazy looking thing!

a reply to: introvert

Yeah. It is like those coated strings! I don't want to feel strings that are covered in plastic snot! So I took a back seat until the nano coatings came around. But that is half the fun of playing... trying new things! I mean, strings!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I have been playing for a long long time and I have to say this sounds pretty cool.

I do wonder how in tune it will stay - will it stay in true tune or will all the strings go out of tune to the same degree? But, if you follow all the Van Halen tricks for staying in tune with a tremolo, it shouldn't be a problem.

I use a very slinky set-up to begin with. I use 8s or 9s for the E and B, then work up from there in the normal progression. The strings are thin but my rig is very heavy on the bass end of the spectrum so it all balances out very nicely. I don't get that tinny kind of sound at all.

I am very interested in seeing how this works...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join