It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook to turn over Russian 2016 election ads to Congress

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

What makes this situation different is that instead of a PAC, we have a foreign government getting directly involved in our election process. If you think this is acceptable you are a fool.

theintercept.com...

Why is it that only russia is bad for this?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

does anyone really care if they had adds on facebook? i dont do facebook, and any websites i go to i never click an add, those are put there for stupid people and those who like viruses. i have never seen any of these russian adds that i am aware of. now if they had anything to do with the email hack and release of hillarys classified emails i believe something should be done but what i don't know. but im sure she would have lost either way, was so much more crap out there on youtube about her showing how evil she was(witch i always sent to all my friends and family when i came across one.) the email scandal was just a kicker imo. and facebook is ran by a communist.
edit on 22-9-2017 by luke1212 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

As I understand it, FB discovered multiple Russian shell entities/fake companies, plus large farms of fake FB profiles precisely targeted to specific districts that dominoed trumps electoral college win.

Example: Farmer Joe in X Wisconsin, that went to HS Y sharing story about Hillary Clinton running a pedophile ring times a thousand. rinse and repeat.

And the direct advertising to people in those precise districts represented millions of dollars.

So...Someone in Russia spent a huge amount of money via fake companies and created a bot army of fake profiles to influence a US election and strangely targeted the exact districts that Brad Parscale and Jared Kushner (Trumps Digital Operation) had identified.

I think it would be something we want to get to the bottom of and guard against for future elections. If Kushner, Parscale, Manafort et al. worked with the Russians or accepted Russian help and money in the election, then they need to be prosecuted.

This seems a non-partisan debate to me.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: luke1212

i never click an add, those are put there for stupid people and those who like viruses.

AKA a massive chunk of the US population.

Political Ads on FB pose as "promoted" stories. So the lazy intellect, identity-political party devotee excited by a negative story would easily click through and eat the cheerios without detecting the arsenic.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

What are you talking about?

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: luke1212

Yes people really care about it. Russia worked hard to discredit Clinton and raise trump up to acceptable.
They worked to brainwash certain sets of people. Rural, low education, laborers that trump was their savior. Apparent they did an excellent job.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Yes people really care about it. Russia worked hard to discredit Clinton and raise trump up to acceptable.
They worked to brainwash certain sets of people. Rural, low education, laborers that trump was their savior. Apparent they did an excellent job.

So exactly how many millions of voters have been "influenced" ?

You realize there's no proof anybody anywhere relied on Facebook to decide who to vote for right?

"People" were listening to the Big3+1 news and decided from what they saw and heard.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Zuckerberg plans on running for president.

Under the excuse that the Government needs this information now, Zuckerberg will implement steps to mine every ounce of personal information, including the way you think, for his future political aspirational benefit.

Get off Facebook now!!

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
To be honest, I'd on face every single day and never have I ever seen a single pro Trump Russia ad on facebook.

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
To be honest, I'd on face every single day and never have I ever seen a single pro Trump Russia ad on facebook.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   
It's such a joke about Russian influence in the US election in favor of Trump.

What about...

Fair question.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Yeah. Really.

Why isn't Sessions all over that? Too busy with people smoking dope?

edit on 9/23/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: jtma508

Someone in Russia has been trying to create regime changes like the West did during the Cold War. It sounds OTT doesn't it? 'Regime change.'

You get it, but it looks like many don't. Influencing elections isn't mischief for sport. It's intended to destabilise the electorate and add eccentricities to the wheels of law and order. It's meant to sway opinions like official Dem/Rep commercials do. The social media approach is like getting in amongst thousands of US voters and whispering directly in their ears. It's like standing in the crowds and shouting down the speakers...by pretending to be a loyal American.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The social media approach is like getting in amongst thousands of US voters and whispering directly in their ears. It's like standing in the crowds and shouting down the speakers...by pretending to be a loyal American.

The social media approach you say?

What kind of approach would you call it when the previous POTUS of the USA spend hundreds of thousands of US tax payer dollars to air (on TV, not FarceBook) anti Netanyahu advertisements on Israeli TV stations with the sole purpose of thwarting his re election campaign?

Would you say that's like whispering in directly in the ears of the Israeli people? Or might you compare it to slapping both the Israeli people and the American population in the face?

The sad thing is, one is proven fact via FOIA records, while the other is merely a conjured up allegation to drag out an already botched (and frankly embarrassing) FBI investigation into.... nothing.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:02 AM
link   

at least some of the fake news has been traced to macedonia..
where the kids all know how to earn money online beforehand, and found a gold mine in the american's guilability it seems...
here's another video...

the world of internet business opportunities has always had some shady elements within it. kids, and probably adults are selling lies for money..

google, you tube, and facebook, with their ad revenue programs share in the responsibility for this..

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Dude, I'm not ragging on Trump or any of his frigging voters. I'm not saying the election was rigged or that you yourself voted Trump because of the Russians. No, I wasn't saying the US was blameless and Israel hadn't entered my mind whatsoever. Yes Hillary was horrible in case that's the next objection. No, I didn't agree with Obama using drones.

The sole point I was making was Russia spent a lot of money to create conflict and division amongst American voters. It's a hostile act whether you vote Dem, Rep or Trump.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
here's another one....

maybe russia wasn't needed??? just a little greed and a little less moral integrity.
some of these tactics are being used by many internet marketers. I've seen ads wanting to buy facebook profiles quite often. it's just that some discovered that trump was a very popular topic, and well, some people were gullible enough to buy anything about him and his run for president.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

The sole point I was making was Russia spent a lot of money to create conflict and division amongst American voters.

But what are you basing this on? Where is the evidence?

And when you say Russia spent a lot of money, do you mean the Russian state? Do you mean Russian citizens? Are these questions even answered/answerable at this point?

And what is a lot of money by the way?

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Show me how this happened, and please tell me, how did the left fall immune to this, was it their superior intellect?

Let see an add, or perhaps you could just describe one that was super effective. You are here making claims, I'd like you to back one up for once.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

I'm sure it did have something to do with education. It's a known fact that dems have more college educated members than republicans. Can't change facts. Trump was elected by the grass chewing crowd who hang out in bars and drink a lot of beer.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join