It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. John Lewis Wants To ‘Take A Bullwhip’ To People So They Care About Civil Rights

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: windword

Who is entitled to righteous indignation?

Am I?

Absolutely! What are you righteously indignified about?
edit on 21-9-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

"Ignorant, bigoted, biased behavior today" is what Lewis is railing against.

He's fighting a losing battle then. Even the POPE is biased and ignorant in some things. We all are.

What is the most accepted definition of "bigoted"?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

You are being disingenuous, by side you meant Rep or Dem or Conservative or Liberal, I was stating I am not on one of those sides or the other, I am a self thinker that uses logic and reason. But you knew that and were being disingenuous. Aslo if you are still stuck thinking Rep or Dem as two different sides you are a fool.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

It's not. Even Jesus experienced righteous indignation, according to the story.

That is why I said he is the only one who could truly have Righteous Indignation. To everyone else it boils down to hurt feelings, and wanting vengeance. Not very righteous at all.

Righteous Indignation.

retribution, retributive justice; anger and contempt combined with a feeling that it is one's right to feel that way; anger without guilt

www.dictionary.com...

Righteous indignation is a very real human emotion

It is not an emotion. It is a feeling brought on by emotion. And just because one feels it, does not mean they are correct.

Righteous indignation is a very real human emotion and it's what American's felt after 911 when they went out and bombed Afghanistan and Iraq!

No. They wanted vengeance for what had happened. But the two are closely related.

So, I'll ask you again, who is entitled to righteous indignation, if not John Lewis?

No one.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Okay. Allow me to give my interpretation of his words:

He was saying that he wished he could put a fire under today's civil rights activist community and get them to get out there and take risks like back in the early days.

It doesn't matter the race or ethnicity of someone who witnesses injustice, they need to rise up and speak against it whatever it is, no matter who the victim is - if it's not right and not fair, people should stand up against it.

He is expressing frustration with complacency.

He was NOT saying that he was coming after right wingers or those who disagree with him with a freaking bullwhip. Nor was he saying he would actually use a bullwhip on anyone.

It was a metaphorical statement - i.e. put a fire under activists, or, give them a good swift kick, etc.
The bullwhip was used in slavery so it is a particularly apt metaphor in dealing with civil rights.

For the love of God people, please look at his words in their full context.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

He's fighting a losing battle then.

No, look how far we've gotten in the past 50 years! Baby steps, maybe. Two steps forward, one step backward, maybe, but not a losing battle.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc

You are being disingenuous, by side you meant Rep or Dem or Conservative or Liberal, I was stating I am not on one of those sides or the other, I am a self thinker that uses logic and reason. But you knew that and were being disingenuous. Aslo if you are still stuck thinking Rep or Dem as two different sides you are a fool.

Yes. I know what you meant. The way you stated it is what I was referring to. I did not say you are wrong. I just thought it was funny.
edit on 21-9-2017 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

"Ignorant, bigoted, biased behavior today" is what Lewis is railing against.

And he is doing so by using "Ignorant, bigoted, biased behavior.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

One problem is, he might be "encouraging" some groups to riot.

Unfortunately, that's what ends up happening all too often.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You all know the old saying... never bring a bullwhip to a gun fight...lol

link   

So when Trump said things about grabbing things, metaphorically, you were okay with that?

(I know this will anger you, please don't kill me for offering a different opinion)

link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

There is no might about it. He is telling people exactly what he wants.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   

That is why I said he is the only one who could truly have Righteous Indignation.

Why? Violating one's dignity creates indignation. Was Jesus the only person that ever existed, supposedly, who had dignity? Was Jesus the only righteous person who ever, supposedly, existed? Why did he supposedly say that he "didn't come for the righteous", then?

Is Jesus is the only person who supposedly existed who could experience love too?

Christians don't own dignity or righteousness!

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

originally posted by: xuenchen

There is no might about it. He is telling people exactly what he wants.

I believe so.

We've seen a lot of that lately.

Maxine Waters, Loretta Lynch and a few others have made "inciting" statements.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

So when Trump said things about grabbing things, metaphorically, you were okay with that?

Excuse me, but that was NOT metaphorical. Women lined up to testify to that factoid!

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

They lined up for Bill Clinton too.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with Lewis' statement. In fact I thought it was really good. Of course, he wasn't being literal when he spoke of the bull-whip. He was saying get off your ass.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Excuse me, but that was NOT metaphorical. Women lined up to testify to that factoid!

I'm sorry.

Please don't kill me because my opinion is different from yours.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Vicki McKenna on 1130am today spent a good portion of her show talking about how the Dems are using identity politics as a way to get blacks motivated to vote. Except for Obama, Black voter enthusiasm has dropped consistently since Clinton.

So, it should be no surprise why whites are constantly labeled racist and more racist identity politics are used more often recently. It's all about getting the black vote out because the Dems are hurting very badly.

This comment from Lewis reinforces this idea.
edit on 21-9-2017 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Violating one's dignity creates indignation

It doesn't make it righteous though.

Was Jesus the only person that ever existed, supposedly, who had dignity?

To Christians he is. There is no dignity in what Lewis said.

Is Jesus is the only person who supposedly existed who could experience love too? Christians don't own dignity or righteousness!

I am not the one who brought Christ into this conversation. You did. Feel however you wish on the subject. You bring Christ into the subject so I responded using the resources we have on Christ to argue your point. And I never said that Christians own dignity. I actually said they didn't, only Christ himself, from a Christian perspective. Don't get all Righteously Indignation from this conversation.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join