It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Plague of Politically (in)Correctness

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: Abysha

a reply to: Abysha
Most people simply don't want the kind of trouble that gets threatened. No one wants to lose their jobs or livelihood and that's the sort of thing the howling minority can do to you.

So employers have to submit to you and not fire assholes? Isn't that just as bad?

Let's revisit the case of the man who shot his coworkers on the air. He tallied up every grievance he could think of that his coworkers had committed against him to justify what he did to them in the end. He had concluded that his workplace was a highly racist place.

One of the offenses of his coworkers was that someone brought watermelon to work and left it out where he could see it.

You know people for whom everything is clearly a slight against them or who find ways to express antipathy through roundabout means. I believe the term is popularly passive aggressive.

Revisit why? It's not like he is free; he's dead.

Are you saying that racism would be acceptable if not for political correctness? Or are you saying that the liberal PC machine drove him to kill people?

Get a grip. Jesus.

I'm confused by this.

Are you saying his coworkers were racist, so his murderous rampage was *their* fault?

But I am saying that the litany of perceived slights was straight off a list of things compiled by PC. The watermelon thing was a classic example of microaggression. So you tell me where he found the fuel for his paranoia and belief that all his coworkers were engaging in an elaborate racist conspiracy.

And are you actually implying that the *only* thing saving the world from blatant and rampant racism is PC?

I don't think I'm the one who needs to get a grip, but I will refrain from the blasphemy.

I'm saying that the shooting had nothing to do with what we are talking about.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Really that's all you got from me? Lol..

So in other words, I'm just wasting my breath?

So... no? You can't think of one violation of a widely-held PC belief that you find respectful to others?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

All it takes is daily, constant verbal abuse from people who unknowingly attack you via synchronistic neural synthesis to become essentially invincible to being offended by what someone says.

Sure, Ill denounce or roll my eyes at profoundly inane crap, but the emotional response to offensive language is almost entirely removed from my psyche.

Not sure if that was the intent behind the daily abuse, "it" being constant coincidences between my thoughts and what people flap their gums about when im around them, coincidences that were more often than not of a mocking or even hostile nature, but now i enjoy just mild irritation from idiotic speech, and not blood lust

edit: i just realized this sounds like a testimonial for some #ed up new therapy. lol. it is not.
edit on 21-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

All it takes is daily, constant verbal abuse from people who unknowingly attack you via synchronistic neural synthesis to become essentially invincible to being offended by what someone says.

Sure, Ill denounce or roll my eyes at profoundly inane crap, but the emotional response to offensive language is almost entirely removed from my psyche.

Not sure if that was the intent behind the daily abuse, "it" being constant coincidences between my thoughts and what people flap their gums about when im around them, coincidences that were more often than not of a mocking or even hostile nature, but now i enjoy just mild irritation from idiotic speech, and not blood lust

Wanna know what I love about this post? I can't tell if you are talking about the pro or anti politically correct members in this thread.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Did you ignore my previous posts or are you just choosing to completely disregard it on purpose?

I even fail to see the point you're trying to drive in with this, so how about you just tell me that instead?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Oh, I know.

Aliens.

I was talking about aliens.

PC aliens.

Criss Cross!

😂
edit on 21-9-2017 by CreationBro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

But not everyone is like us, and why the snowflake society continues to persist -- and even worse, grow.

edit on 21-9-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Yea, you're probably right. There'll be a boot up the ass for everyone imho.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Did you ignore my previous posts or are you just choosing to completely disregard it on purpose?

I even fail to see the point you're trying to drive in with this, so how about you just tell me that instead?

You told me that political correctness isn't about respecting others and I asked you to give me a specific example of something that is widely considered to be a violation of "political correctness" that is respectful.

Your whole gripe has been a diatribe towards those who have diatribes towards others. That is all any of this is these days, especially on ATS. "Oh, you don't like that I called your mom a fat old hag? You must be one of those PC fags".

How is it any different? Why is complaining about another person's criticism of disrespectful behavior considered righteous yet that criticism itself is considered ethically incomprehensible?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

But not everyone is like us, and why the snowflake society continues to persist -- and even worse, grow.

... said Knowledgehunter, without a shred of self awareness about the irony he just displayed.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

You told me that political correctness isn't about respecting others and I asked you to give me a specific example of something that is widely considered to be a violation of "political correctness" that is respectful.

No where did I say that PC isn't being respectful to others. But as it pertains to you and I in the most simplist of terms (The example of me calling you names to your face), we already agreed on that. The problem is you aren't allowing yourself to see beyond that, or this "disrespect" thing. PC in large, encompasses much, much more than dialogue between 2 people.

And I did give you an example, twice!

Your whole gripe has been a diatribe towards those who have diatribes towards others. That is all any of this is these days, especially on ATS. "Oh, you don't like that I called your mom a fat old hag? You must be one of those PC fags". 

Actually my gripe and the real motive behind this thread: I'll take you back to my OP.

Let us never forget when we critisize someone for their character - or lack thereof - that we oursleves are free of sin, or better yet, the perfect role model, veneer smiling, carbon copy, cookie cutter faces we see on TV and look to as the golden standard, don't rip their badges off and step all over it behind closed doors. Because surely they don't... right? 

"What you see is what you get" vs "What you see is what we want you to see" 

The outrage we see on a daily basis being thrown Trump for his unfiltered language, is disingenuous at best when you realize those people he gets compared to, are just as bad, if not worst, behind closed doors. But you see, these same people are the ones pushing this PC culture. People know this, yet seem to disregard it and continue to be "outraged". Are we really mad? Or is this PC culture a disingenuous plague? Think about it.

How is it any different? Why is complaining about another person's criticism of disrespectful behavior considered righteous yet that criticism itself is considered ethically incomprehensible?

Maybe you missed it the last 5 times I answered this question. PC by nature is censorship. Being a dick is not. They are not inherently the same.

But we have already agreed to disagree with this point. We are both entitled to our opinions, remember?

Also, you have to stop speaking in absolutes and understand this goes beyond black and white. The truth lies somewhere in the greys.

edit on 21-9-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   

... said Knowledgehunter, without a shred of self awareness about the irony he just displayed.

For this to be true, you'd have to understand my true intentions.

Which clearly you don't.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

All that tells me is that you conflate "PC" with a whole lot of things that it isn't. This is no different than me conflating conservatives with automatically being Nazis (which I never have).

If you take out the slippery slope fallacy, would you be able to write your OP the same way?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I disagree. I'm not conflating anything, maybe other than being a little melodramatic. But everything I mentioned in my OP is pertinent to the point.

Really, it's not me, but you that fails to see that.

I don't know how much further I can try to elaborate this for you. It's tough when you choose to be obstuse or completely disregard things I have said.

Probably best we just agree to disagree and move on.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:46 PM
link   

www.independent.co.uk... 0101.html

Try some Bret Easton Ellis on the subject.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I would submit that it's not at all about respect or disrespect.

If it was, then people who say things considered un-PC would not be treated so completely disrespectfully by the howling speech police.

Those schoolgirls in California who researched a meal to have in their school for Black History Month and came up with fried chicken and watermelon were castigated as racists for coming up with a traditional soul food meal. They tried to be respectful and engage in a learning activity, not be little racists.

And yet when the dining hall at Cornell was under fire for not being authentically ethnic enough, the black students were mad that fried chicken was not offered often enough.

And the evidence above suggests that their research was spot on, so why were they called racists and tarred and feathered again?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

so why were they called racists and tarred and feathered again?

Oh! I know!!

*Raises hand*

posted on Sep, 22 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

a reply to: ketsuko

so why were they called racists and tarred and feathered again?

Oh! I know!!

*Raises hand*

I do too, but the point is that they were not at all trying to act in disrespect even though you could make the argument that on the surface their actions looked very un-PC.

If I recall correctly, you were talking about grade school age children, and you know what passes for research at that age--the most obvious and surface level thing is considered well-researched because at that age, you are just learning.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join