It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma City police officer shoots, kills man holding metal pipe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

"to me it was unjustified homicide" So you were there on scene and saw everything and know what happened? Why do people like you assume everyone else is innocent until proven guilty except for cops?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: norhoc

Walking toward them? Plumbers in that town better be careful. Did he do anything threatening?

If this cop was not a cop and the circumstances were identical, the person would be prosecuted and found guilty of 2nd degree murder. Why should we expect less out of our LEO's? Why? I don't get it. They are supposed to be trained to handle difficult situations. They are not supposed to be trained killers.

We are obviously going to disagree on this and I'm not going to change your mind. But please tell me why a law abiding citizen should have to be bullied by the police or suffer being shot?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Obviously we can only judge the situation by the facts with which we are presented. I obviously believe he has the right to a fair trial and the presumption of innocence. However, that presumption is only operable in the courts. We as Americans daily judge wether or not we think an individual is guilty of a crime. Please tell you have never done that.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

So again , you were there and know what exactly happened? They are trained to handle it and did. You want to deal in hypotheticals, let pose this ,if you saw some one with a pipe or any other weapon that you know could cause you or someone you care about serious bodily harm or death advance towards you and you were legally allowed to carry a firearm and you pulled it on them yelling at them to stop( again he was deaf but not blind ) and they did not and continued to advance towards you, would you not feel threatened and maybe shoot? And you make an assumption the police were bullying the guy.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

and you don't believe the police have the same right to presumption of innocence?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

In answer to your hypothetical I would let the person walk by me carrying his pipe. It is not illegal to carry a pipe on a street and I would be violating the law by drawing my gun on him. I hope the hell you do not carry a gun but I suspect you are an LEO. I hope the kids in your neighborhood do not play stick ball or street hockey, they'd be taking their life in their hands.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

In court, of course they do. That presumption is a legal protection. It is not a decree that people in the general public can't decide for themselves on the particular guilt or innocence of a person.

Were you upset when OJ was acquitted? If so, why? He was innocent, right?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: norhoc
a reply to: sine.nomine

I am stating they were within the legal use of force scale to draw their weapons and shoot

BS.

He didn't charge them. He was on his porch.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

That is a sensationalist , assinine comment. Obvioulsy police make decisions based on a totslity of circumstance snd you know that

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

You were there too? Wow how many ATSwrs werw there?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
a reply to: RadioRobert

Agreed. We can't tolerate that at all. Seriously though, I'm just getting tired of cops getting away with murder. And you're right, there's a good chance it was "justified," but that doesn't necessarily make it right.

There's nothing that gets me riled more than bad cops. I think any time a "peace officer" is convicted of a crime, they should recieve double-max statutory penalties.

The jackass who detained the nurse over a blood draw should be charged with assault and false arrest, imo, for example.

I just don't know how you can jump from what few details we are provided in a few sentences and say this shoot wasn't justified. I mean maybe more comes out and it wasn't. But until then, I don't know why this thread exists based on what I read.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

You are leaving out the part where it says he continued to advance towards the officers with the pipe. But again don’t let facts get in the way

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

I was just being a roodypoo. But anyone who can't criticize the cops because the facts aren't out should be able to say the same to the people defending the cops.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I've been in several similar situations and we didn't have today's modern toys such as mace and stun guns.
We waded in and took them down physically. If you did not see a weapon you did not fire yours ....period.
( Barrel tuning was optional )

There will be a response somewhere, some place to this. It just a steady cycle of escalation.
I'm starting to believe that may be the purpose in the long haul.
These youngsters today believe that dropping the hammer is the answer to every dangerous situation and that's B.S.

Buck

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

They were operating within every use of force continuum out there. Justified shooting.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Well we will have to disagree to some extent, from what I have read both officers fired their weapons at the same time..tired of hearing that cops get to go home at the end of their shift allows them to overreact, one officer clearly didn't overreact.
If the one was so scared maybe another line of work is better for him..that is my point.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

Dont get me wrong if more facts come out and they were wrong i will be the first to admit it. But with the facts as they are now they are in the clear

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

While at the scene, Sanchez began holding up the pipe and coming toward the officers.

Authorities say Lt. Lindsey and Sgt. Barnes ordered Sanchez to drop the weapon and get on the ground, but he continued to move toward them.

Just an innocent guy sitting on his porch right?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

So whenever a normal thinking person sees cops they raise a metal pipe and advance towards them? And then when thise cops draw their guns you keep going towards them with the pipe in the air?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

But they also have a huge responsibility that goes along with that license to kill.

Sorry, they have the same RIGHT to self defense and protection that the second amendment affords you and I.

If you live in a wimpy state that doesn't equal that playing field, YOUR BAD.

They DO NOT have a license to arbitrarily go around killing at will. They are just surrounded by an apathetic public who simply do not get upset enough to hold the bad apples accountable.

The public is the reason this seems common place because society is so dumb, and easily manipulated, that we would rather stand divided than together on f#king everything that doesn't mean sh# in the grand scheme of things, instead of the more important and critical issues that effect us.
edit on E30America/ChicagoThu, 21 Sep 2017 00:31:17 -05009amThursdayst12am by EternalShadow because: add

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join