It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rural Real Estate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Full Disclosure: I'm completely aware that this is a first world problem and also a rant as the subject matter!

Real estate in my area is booming. A house shortage and multiple economic environments have sent my home into a very profitable range. So it's time to sell and finally, FINALLY get a hobby farm going. Couple goats, chickens, hogs and experiment with some self sustaining energy. My target goal is within an hour from work and that's not horrible.

The trouble I'm finding is not enough diversity in the information provided. A few photos and every one is "THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS!" Yea, no. That 3 bedroom trailer from 1967 that sits on 2 hills full of sand is not my dream...nor anyone else that I can imagine. Realizing full well that most of northern Michigan is in fact sand, there are still properties that have soil or have be cultivated as such.

I'll find one, eventually, just a little rant. Oh and why does everyone take their pictures with overcast conditions or right after a rain! COME ON REALTORS!

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

OK. Been there, done that. First order is to fix up some of the things that will increase the value of your existing place without the improvement costing more than the higher sales price. If nothing else, do work that you can do yourself. I found doing the work myself very rewarding after my regular job and on weekends and the best part was knowing that a few bucks here and there meant thousands of more dollars at the listing time.

As for your ideal place, spend two to four years looking until you find the perfect fit. I innocently found the exact place seemingly meant for me as I was readying my existing home. Now over 10 years later, I couldn't be happier about my delay in making the jump.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

I doubt that I'll have any trouble getting rid of my home. It's in a good area and in good shape. Especially considering it was built in 1890!!

The difficult part will be finding the new property before this one sells.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
That 3 bedroom trailer from 1967 that sits on 2 hills full of sand is not my dream...nor anyone else that I can imagine.

You'd be surprised.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

That 3 bedroom trailer from 1967 that sits on 2 hills full of sand is not my dream...nor anyone else that I can imagine.

You'd be surprised.

Perhaps. I however find every "home of your dreams" to be ridiculously redundant.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Full Disclosure: I'm completely aware that this is a first world problem and also a rant as the subject matter!

Real estate in my area is booming. A house shortage and multiple economic environments have sent my home into a very profitable range. So it's time to sell and finally, FINALLY get a hobby farm going. Couple goats, chickens, hogs and experiment with some self sustaining energy. My target goal is within an hour from work and that's not horrible.

The trouble I'm finding is not enough diversity in the information provided. A few photos and every one is "THE HOME OF YOUR DREAMS!" Yea, no. That 3 bedroom trailer from 1967 that sits on 2 hills full of sand is not my dream...nor anyone else that I can imagine. Realizing full well that most of northern Michigan is in fact sand, there are still properties that have soil or have be cultivated as such.

I'll find one, eventually, just a little rant. Oh and why does everyone take their pictures with overcast conditions or right after a rain! COME ON REALTORS!

USDA has soil mapping software here.

The county building department or city if it's within city limits will be a good resource to get a better idea what has been done on the property. Health department likely will have septic and water records. Some of this depends where you are. Sometimes the building department will incorporate all of it.

ETA: Don't count on real estate agents, do some leg work and save headaches in the long run.
edit on 9/20/17 by Ksihkehe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 08:44 PM
link   

First of all, do you have a good realtor that you are going to use for your current home? Second of all, get that realtor to find you a great reaktor for the rural property...I have been in the same position and believe me it is the only way to go.

I was a realtor myself for several years, but went a different direction in the real estate and corporate world, so I used a realtor that was well versed in today's market. Doing this saved us tons of time and money.

Do it and you will find your dream property without the frustration of "bubble dream houses" out there on Zillow or whatever site.

Best on finding your forever home!

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

This is a very great tool, thank you for sharing it

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

All homes are quite a bit of work
Rural more so than city.

I haven't been to my family farm for some time. Not having neighbors is gorgeous, because people suck, but you want to be near enough to a good low crime crime town so you can get groceries and doctors visits easy enough. A Walmart, Target and Lowes a plus for obvious reasons, not even the worlds most dedicated canner or carpenter can do without them

There isn't a great chance to make money from an improved trailer. A non prefab house will get you better money.

Sunsets are gorgeous if you sit on a hill. Trees are a pain if the winds get up there and knock out your power. Winter in remoteness is nice for 72 hours.

If you can get town water and sewerage is ideal, but well water and septic you'll learn to live with, droughts are a pain.

Raising little ones in the country is awesome, but you have no privacy, you are far more anonymous in the city. Rural everyone knows your business, right down to when your tomatoes are ripened and ready to pick, or when you picked your nose on the back porch. And the country telegraph ensures your family that lives on the opposite side of the country know within 12 hours that you let off fireworks the weekend BEFORE the 4th of July .

edit on 20-9-2017 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

This is your friend.

I analyze the value of acreage everyday. Taking the MLS listings and then looking at the soil map should probably be done before you even look too closely at the pictures.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

I'm not a stranger to the rural life and for all of those city needs, I still work here. It's just silly to me how homes, even shabby ones, are marketed.

If they know when my crops are due, more power to them! Hopefully they'll let me know haha!!

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

I just jealous as hell. Hobby farm is a dream I don't think I will ever realize. For the hogs, look into raising organic. There's a farm near me that built a large pen in a portion of a pine forrest. The pork is the best you've ever tasted.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

That's one of the things I'm going for. I have a little trepidation when it comes to completely organic but we shall see. Mostly leftover eggs and milk for the hogs is my idea. Tons of ground to cover before we get there however and I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

All in time, just plug away and keep your dreams as your long term goal. It can be done!

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

That is an invaluable resource. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Ksihkehe

That is an invaluable resource. Thank you.

It's not without flaws, but that along with soil evaluations done for septic should give a pretty good picture. Good luck, I went rural and don't regret it.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Hey I plan on always being just out of the city on a few acres. Over the years the number of animals diminishes (except the cats)
Now the best thing that will always stay is....
Chickens!
Fresh organic eggs are the best. Oh, and I grow my own tomatoes even if I am in a apartment for 6 months on a work gig lol. Been years since I've been in one, but I honestly had a little hydroponic type pot on the balcony that grew the perfect tomato that tasted like tomatoes from my childhood and not cardboard.

Is it more expensive to go south? I've not lived in your area so I'm not sure of the sand issue. A good garden with some rich soil on sand appreciates the drainage it provides. Hope it doesn't let make a house sink

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Why not buy a real farm and not a vanity farm. You can still have your goats and lease the rest of the land to a real farmer.

That's what I did with my family farm of 180 ac. of cotton and onions and split the income with the farmer.
edit on 20-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Budget constraints would be my immediate answer. Land up here is going for around 3k/acre. With a house and *fingers crossed* an outbuilding(s) that brings the value up. If it were feasible, I would try.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

She's the green thumb. I have more of a red, bloody and bruised thumb generally so that task is left to her. Everything else, I'm able and somewhat knowledgeable on. It will be an adventure...once we get started.

Going south from my location wouldn't be optimal for a few reasons. Smaller chunks of land are harder to come by. Lots of farms down there. Also the social aspect as we don't know anyone and would be putting ourselves further from family and friends instead of closer.

I used the sand reference as a supposed selling point on some of these properties. The marketing is silly but I suppose it works to some extent, just not on this guy!

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Perhaps you should sit back, relax, and IT will find YOU!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join