It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'We're at war':CIR weaponizes Morgan Freeman in anti-Moscow hysteria

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Even if your accusations are true, all of it relies on the assumption that bots and fake social media accounts can influence anything, let alone democratic elections. That's where your little fantasy world comes into play.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
But continue to live in your fantasy world where Putin is a benevolent leader that has no dreams of conquest.

Where exactly was that even hinted at? I'd like to see the quote.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

You are probably a common sense free-thinking guy capable of evaluating multi-level aspects of most issues. It is hard for people that have a lemming-type mentality to understand men/women like you. If you see or read something that challenges your pov, you probably do more research and analysis, then draw your own conclusions.

Nothing...I mean NOTHING...I read on social media, Twitter, Facebook, any of it...influenced my decision to vote for Donald Trump. As a matter of fact, I had to do lots of reading and research to be swayed in his direction during the primaries. His brash NY style was a bit off-putting at first, but in the end, I realized it was just "style" and something every president brings to the WH. Substance and policies, especially fiscal policies, always win for me...hands down.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Jiggly

Let's be honest considering how neutered the UN and the International Court have become over the years there isn't much that can done in regards for punishment.

Just look at Crimea. As I mentioned before, the groundwork was laid for that online. Even Russia's own Human Rights Council says the referendum was bogus. And yet three years on the only punishment Russia has received are sanctions.

That said, it's kind of disconcerting that people are able to acknowledge these things are going on and be fine with them. Just because there's not much that can be done from a punitive standpoint doesn't mean we should be complacent.

I didn't vote for Her, I did vote for Trump, but nothing on facebook, or social media swayed my vote. I would have preferred a better option, but I played the hand with the cards I was dealt and wasn't influenced by any outside sources. Were you?

Considering I didn't vote for either of them I'm going to go with an emphatic yes.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Similar tactics worked throughout the Cold War and led to overthrown governments and revolutions across the world. Why do you think those tactics are going to be any less effective now that they've been taken online?

EDIT: Hell, isn't this pretty much what people accuse Soros of doing? What about the people that claim that the US fomented the Maidan protests? If it's so easy to believe that social media can be used to galvanize people to protest or riot or whatever why is it so hard to believe that it can used, in conjunction with other tactics, to influence an election?
edit on 9/20/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

The fact that he blew off modern documented instances of Russia attempting to destabilize other nations as Western propaganda was a pretty big indicator.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Similar tactics worked throughout the Cold War and led to overthrown governments and revolutions across the world. Why do you think those tactics are going to be any less effective now that they've been taken online?

Did it influence you?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Morgan Freedom. I mean that guy is all over the place...
He plays in a 1000 movies a year and you see him all over the cable channels

Very busy guy

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

But continue to live in your fantasy world where Putin is a benevolent leader that has no dreams of conquest.

Where exactly was that even hinted at? I'd like to see the quote.

They see Russian phantoms wherever they look. By this time its second nature.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

My stance on Putin has remained unchanged ever since he used a false flag attack to sweep himself in to power.

Other people on here however seemed to have a sudden change of heart right around 2014 when the Russian propaganda engine kicked into full gear. Prior to that they were all gung ho about going to war with Russia following the Georgia invasion. Then all of a sudden everything posted about Russia was Western propaganda.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

The fact that he blew off modern documented instances of Russia attempting to destabilize other nations as Western propaganda was a pretty big indicator.

I just can't let this one slide.

First he said this:

You’ve escalated everything beyond recognition. You think bots on twitter is an attack on democracy. You conflate hacking the DNC to hacking an election. You conflate the former soviet Union with the Russian Federation. You guys have gone crazy.

then:

Elements of the media are engaging in a form of atrocity propaganda so as to convince their viewers to support some sort of sanction, or worse.

Please explain how that equates to :

The fact that he blew off modern documented instances of Russia attempting to destabilize other nations as Western propaganda

I honestly want to know if you understand what you are typing here.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Dammit. Really (used to) like Morgan Freeman.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

This:

You’ve escalated everything beyond recognition. You think bots on twitter is an attack on democracy. You conflate hacking the DNC to hacking an election. You conflate the former soviet Union with the Russian Federation. You guys have gone crazy.

Was in response to this:

Really? You're going to try to downplay this by making some snarky comment about Twitter. The groundwork for the annexation of Crimea and the current civil war in Ukraine was laid online. The same techniques are currently being employed on the Baltic states.

At the same time Russia very nearly had a very valuable puppet ascend to power. The National Front, a party backed and funded by Russia (just one of many in a number of nations), nearly saw their candidate, Marine LePen, become President of France.

Russia has spent decades manipulating and destabilizing other countries. They're masters at it. It was Putin's job for f***'s sake. And you think their methods are suddenly going to become less effective because of social media. If anything I'd be worried that they're more effective because, as you just so helpfully demonstrated, social media is perceived to be innocuous by the masses.

I then posted this:

What am I escalating and conflating? I'm simply telling you what Russia has 100% been doing throughout Europe the past few years. And what they have been doing has contributed to a changing of the political landscape. Why would you think they wouldn't employ similar techniques in the US and why do you think they would be any less effective?

Which led to this:

Elements of the media are engaging in a form of atrocity propaganda so as to convince their viewers to support some sort of sanction, or worse.

How does that not come across as him saying that the examples I brought to the table were simply Western propaganda and did not actually take place?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

I don't believe criticizing a propaganda video that claims we are at war with russia is the same thing as saying Putin is the greatest guy in the world.

Is there something in the video that is inaccurate? We are at (information) war with Russia. The level of "criticism" in this thread is:

"I thought he was one of the good guys"
"he'll put his name to anything for money"
some bull# about celeb worshiping "sheeple"

Yadda yadda yadda.

Putin is not our friend. Baseless, knee jerk criticism of Morgan Freeman for stating the obvious — not even arguing against the content of the video mind you — may not be calling Putin the "greatest guy in the world" but having Americans denying it's happening works to Putin's advantage.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

My stance on Putin has remained unchanged ever since he used a false flag attack to sweep himself in to power.

Other people on here however seemed to have a sudden change of heart right around 2014 when the Russian propaganda engine kicked into full gear. Prior to that they were all gung ho about going to war with Russia following the Georgia invasion. Then all of a sudden everything posted about Russia was Western propaganda.

I don't necessarily care about Putin, or your feelings about him.

I just cannot grasp how bots posting online and creating fake facebook accounts be considered an " invasion of our democracy". This seems to be the biggest, most propaganda-driven narrative I've seen repeated by people online and off. Rob Reiner just stated it for example. Can you show me anything comparable in the form of Russian disinformation that has been as influential?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Russia presidential election in a few months. It doesn't look like Putin will run.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Even if your accusations are true, all of it relies on the assumption that bots and fake social media accounts can influence anything, let alone democratic elections. That's where your little fantasy world comes into play.

Are you arguing that people aren't influenced by social media or that they're only influenced by social media if the accounts involved are real?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Are you arguing that people aren't influenced by social media or that they're only influenced by social media if the accounts involved are real?

No. As I explicitly stated, I am arguing that your accusations " relies on the assumption that bots and fake social media accounts can influence anything, let alone democratic elections.".

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Social media can influence, but all except the most stupid people will believe anything on social media. It's easy to fact check, and just about all voters get their info from MSM, not from social media.

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: Grambler

I don't believe criticizing a propaganda video that claims we are at war with russia is the same thing as saying Putin is the greatest guy in the world.

Is there something in the video that is inaccurate? We are at (information) war with Russia.

Yes. the "info-war" with russia only existed in US tabloids. Freeman is just rehashing these old fake news stories, then spice it up with fearmongering.

But yes, NOW there is a info-war going on, due to all that idiotic election spin.

And finally, many can hack an old unprotected computer in Russia. Then spew all the anti-us propaganda from this computer. And then Bingo! Russia did it!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join